Vacationing with your dogs

How do you guys pet friendly places to stay, things to do, places to go? We had a lot of fun vacationing with the critters this year and plan to do it again next year. The problem is, I'm running into walls finding places to stay & things to do when there is the possibility of having 3 dogs coming along.

Suggestions? Websites to check out? If it matters we are looking at PA, MD, VA, KY and possibly TN or upstate NY.

Snark

Mutts to you
Not sure about vacationing with 3 dogs... The places we go usually draw the line at 2 animals, tops. Have you checked out BringFido.com? I used it one year to find a pet friendly hotel and dog activities/parks nearby.

Honestly I figure out generally where I want to go and what I want to do, then google pet friendly hotels/resorts in the area. A lot of the things/places I like to do/go (camping or cabin rental) are inherently pretty dog-friendly, though.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I never liked vacationing with the dogs unless we are camping. I just find its a pain. If you want to go to a amusement park, zoo ect you can't. You can't leave the dogs in the car or hotel and you can't take them with. Going out for supper is hard. Again you can't take the dogs with it leave them. That's why I only took them when camping. You can leave them in the trailer if you have to and do camping things with them

milos_mommy

*shrug* I stayed in a hotel once with my dogs....we went out no problem and left them crated (however, they weren't barkers, didn't have separation anxiety, etc).

I wouldn't take them to, say, adisney world vacation, but a more low key trip I don't see most well behaved, adaptable dogs having any issues.

Dagwall

Jubel comes when I visit my parents or net a house at the beach. The next planned dog friendly vacation is renting a cabin. I agree the bigger challenge will be finding someplace that allows three dogs, two is usually the limit from what I've seen.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
*shrug* I stayed in a hotel once with my dogs....we went out no problem and left them crated (however, they weren't barkers, didn't have separation anxiety, etc).

I wouldn't take them to, say, adisney world vacation, but a more low key trip I don't see most well behaved, adaptable dogs having any issues.
This is true but most hotels don't allow this and if the cleaning staff happen to come in you can get kicked out for this. I worked in the hotel business and some hotels are better than others so make sure you know up front.

Usually if we are vacationing with the dogs, the vacation is either dog-centric (such as when I go up north specifically to go skijoring or scootering) or most of what we would be doing is dog-friendly (hiking or other outdoor activities, for example).

I probably wouldn't bring my dogs on a touristy vacation where I wanted to go off and do people things most of the time unless there were enough people going that someone could stay with the dogs when other people left.

Snark

Mutts to you
I don't think the hotels I've stayed at with Riley have any rules about not leaving dogs alone in the room; although I rarely leave him unless it's to run out for a quick meal. We usually have the Do Not Disturb sign up so hotel employees don't come into the room.
The beach is a different story, since we rent a house. Riley is fine being left alone in the house while we go out doing 'touristy' things, but I also make sure he's had a good run on the beach before we go.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Usually my holiday is a holiday because I don't have to look after the dogs, I can go where I please without worrying about returning home for them, I can go anywhere, and I don't have to consider feeding them, letting them out, walking around with them, etc, etc, etc :D

If I was going camping, or to a holiday cottage near the beach or something, they would come. If I was going on a 'proper' holiday.... Naaaah!!

k9krazee

If I was going camping, or to a holiday cottage near the beach or something, they would come. If I was going on a 'proper' holiday.... Naaaah!!
That's pretty much our philosophy too. Every other weekend we travel somewhere where he tags along and it's probably mostly centered around him anyway...but vacations that are more than 4 days or require a plane he vacations at my parents house.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
That's pretty much our philosophy too. Every other weekend we travel somewhere where he tags along and it's probably mostly centered around him anyway...but vacations that are more than 4 days or require a plane he vacations at my parents house.
Ours love their nain and taid!! They were there friday to this morning as we were away, and they spent the week there when we went to France :) they get spoilt rotten. We do miss them, and call up to check on them, but we love the fact we have the option to get away sometimes.

Added that really a holiday here is going abroad anyway, so I suppose we have a different outlook on it as it is.

Members online

No members online now.