Cat agression...not a laughing matter

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
As a cat owner, I feel this is something that people should definately know about.

My co-worker and her family just had a horrible experience with their cat. Their indoor cat has always been temperamental, but they always dismissed it as a cat "being a cat."

Her 12-year-old son was taking the cat outside on its harness, like he usually did. The time came for the cat to go inside. He picks Kitty up. Kitty didn't want to go inside, so she went ballistic. The cat badly mauled both his arms from the hands to the elbows. Six bites on each arm, and numerous claw marks. They became badly infected, and the boy ended up in the hospital for three days. The doctors were worried he would permanently lose mobility in his hands and fingers. The infection fortunately subsided, but the poor kid now has cat scratch disease, which is affecting his lymph glands and causing a lot of swelling. There is no active treatment for the disease, so he is stuck with it for the next six months to a year....all from an 8-pound cat.

According to county law, Animal Control picked up the cat, and after rabies quarentine, it will be euthanized for aggressive tendencies.

Be careful with your cat! Because of their smaller size, cat aggression, unlike dog aggression, is easily overlooked and usually dismissed as something minor. Cat bites and scratches can be worse than dog bites because they tend to get infected. Clean all cat bites and scratches thoroughly, even though they may look no worse than paper cuts. If you have a cat or kitten, be sure to take the time to teach the cat to be gentle, and not use its claws or teeth. You may end up saving your cat's life, as well as your own.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I wish more people would work with their cats instead of just letting them run half-wild through the house. We also board cats at work and there are a few that come in that I refuse to go near for any reason unless I've got the cat gloves on. Even the owners are afraid of their cats, which is horrible.

How about those psycho kitties? You know the ones. They are all sweet and rubbing up against you and then you reach down to pet them and they do an abrupt about face and try to nail you!
I've met so many cats like this. There is an actual name for this type of behavior in cats (like a syndrome) but unfortunately I can't remember it!
I used to work in a kennel too, Zoom, and I actually got chased out of the "cat room" once by this huge white cat that was hell bent on killing me!

Pam

Fran27

I love cats, but I have a hard time trusting the ones I don't know. We had a crazy cat when I was a kid, the most grumpy cat ever, she once clawed me almost in the eye when I tried to pet her.

We knew someone who had a dog and three cats too, and we kept her pets in the house during her move. One of the cats went balistic on my mom, bit her in the hand, and she couldn't use her hand for almost 2 months afterwards... It was really nasty.

But it's often because of fear. That cat was lost, had no clue why he was with us. Once I picked up my cat when I was 14, and the vaccum cleaner was running. He got scared and I still have a 4 inches long mark on my arm, of where he clawed me to the blood (although I didn't need stitches). He's the most adorable and loving cat, he just got very scared.

But yeah, it's like everything, there are cats with good tempers and some with bad tempers.

Barb04

Super Moderator
What a tragic story. My heart goes out to your co-worker and their boy for all he is going through. I hope he gets well soon and doesn't suffer any more from this.

Richie12345

I used to had a bunch of stratches from a kitty I used to have. All of them came close to my eye... luckily he never got my eyes

Staff online

Members online