Mia's breathing

JacksonsMom

Just take it a day at a time. I know Cynder has a completely different issue...but if there is one thing I learned, it's don't let the gloom and doom get you down. Health issues that you can't actively treat and cure are freaking scary and you can't help but worry about whether or not they'll get worse one day. But don't let that be what you see when you look at them. Find ways to make their life more normal and help them through it. Just because a diagnosis is scary doesn't mean she can't have happy, quality life.

I always thought Cynder was going to live forever. Just because she has MegaE doesn't mean she won't. The same is true of Mia. :)
Yes, this!

And it seems like Mia's condition is totally liveable. I've read of a lot of yorkies who literally have attacks of not being able to breathe, like daily... or lots of honking etc. It sounds like Mia can be just fine and normal with a just a few restrictions.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Just take it a day at a time. I know Cynder has a completely different issue...but if there is one thing I learned, it's don't let the gloom and doom get you down. Health issues that you can't actively treat and cure are freaking scary and you can't help but worry about whether or not they'll get worse one day. But don't let that be what you see when you look at them. Find ways to make their life more normal and help them through it. Just because a diagnosis is scary doesn't mean she can't have happy, quality life.

I always thought Cynder was going to live forever. Just because she has MegaE doesn't mean she won't. The same is true of Mia. :)
Thank you so so so much. <3 It was seriously what I needed to hear and it made me cry in the middle of work. But it is so true.

I know right now it's overwhelming for me thinking about what hse can't do anymore or how her life may or may not go in the future. It's hard when you can't just explain it to them and you know you're responsible for providing a good life for them.

She's acting just the same as ever now- bubbly, happy, over the top.... I do hope that since she's not had too many issues yet that it is a good sign for the long term. She does not have the typical coughing attacks though she does seem to yawn a lot when excited, which indicates to me that she's not getting enough air. She's so exciteable though that keeping her completely calm is impossible.

The vet wouldn't go either way with saying if she'll have it progress badly or not. I wish I knew but till then.... just try to not worry so much.

Dagwall

So sorry to hear about Mia. One of my first thoughts though were thank god for nosework and her love for it. A great mental exercise with minimal physical demands. Hoping for a very slow progression with CT and many more happy good years for Mia to come.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Thank you so so so much. <3 It was seriously what I needed to hear and it made me cry in the middle of work. But it is so true.

I know right now it's overwhelming for me thinking about what hse can't do anymore or how her life may or may not go in the future. It's hard when you can't just explain it to them and you know you're responsible for providing a good life for them.

She's acting just the same as ever now- bubbly, happy, over the top.... I do hope that since she's not had too many issues yet that it is a good sign for the long term. She does not have the typical coughing attacks though she does seem to yawn a lot when excited, which indicates to me that she's not getting enough air. She's so exciteable though that keeping her completely calm is impossible.

The vet wouldn't go either way with saying if she'll have it progress badly or not. I wish I knew but till then.... just try to not worry so much.
(((hugs)))

I am absolutely terrified that Cynder will get worse. When the vet first initially saw the radiographs he said it was the most dilated esophagus he had ever seen. (Actually, his exact words were, "Holy ****", but that's what he meant. lol) She's stable right now with very little upkeep on my part. She is getting the lowest dose possible for her meds, she eats elevated and then she's held upright for 15 minutes afterwards. She's able to eat all of her food in one meal. She's able to drink water normally, eat small treats normally, no aspiration issues. But the fact that some dogs die because of this disease mere months after being diagnosed scares the ever loving **** out of me. Other dogs live their entire life with it and have little to no complications. So I just refuse to think about the "what if's" and just think about today: what works for today, how she is doing today. If you think about the "what ifs" you will literally go crazy.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
With Mia the vet said 'Well I have seen worse' in a way you can tell that Mia's is pretty darn bad off.

I agree, just take it day by day. Today Mia is doing very well and was a goofy little butt this morning. <3 I am such a worrier by nature though, but it is something I need to let go.

Cynder is very lucky to be in your hands, too! I hope all goes well for both Mia and Cynder for a long, long time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So sorry to hear about Mia. One of my first thoughts though were thank god for nosework and her love for it. A great mental exercise with minimal physical demands. Hoping for a very slow progression with CT and many more happy good years for Mia to come.
I am really glad she has nosework and that will give us a great outlet without too much physical stress on her. She still wants to play ball 24/7 so for now I'm letting her just taking it easier and doing it on her terms. If she wants to lie down and rest then we'll stop. I just don't want her to have no fun anymore. The vet said he would let her exercise as much as she could handle but keep aware of her breathing and don't let her get out of breath.

It'll be hard because she's used to off leashing it several times a week for hours and that just won't work in the summer. We will have to come up with something else.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well we had a good nearly 2 hour park trip yesterday. :) It's good to remember what we CAN do. We had a lot of fun and she ran around like a crazy dog.

I am paying way more attention to every snort/sneeze/hack/breath than I probably should. Hopefully I stop that over time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Tonight she sounds really loud breathing-wise. Not sure if it's because I'm paying more attention or it's worse?

My vet called too but I missed it. I think I will call him back and bring up the medication angle. I still want a second opinion.

-hugs-

I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but glad you caught it now instead of later. Definitely take this as a time to gather information, and take care of yourself too.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
This humidity is really rough on her as well as the 80 degree weather. She barely made it a block last night. :(

We really are going to have to do no exercise for about half of the year with her. Plus I've been reading and prognosis seems so mixed. She's doing well indoors though and staying active and crazy.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Also reading into the stenting stuff doesn't sound like an option for me. Everythign I'm reading says most dogs die within a year or two anyways of the stent being put in. The procedure is very expensive and prone to complications. :/

Trying not to think that far in advance.

JacksonsMom

This humidity is really rough on her as well as the 80 degree weather. She barely made it a block last night. :(

We really are going to have to do no exercise for about half of the year with her. Plus I've been reading and prognosis seems so mixed. She's doing well indoors though and staying active and crazy.
Also reading into the stenting stuff doesn't sound like an option for me. Everythign I'm reading says most dogs die within a year or two anyways of the stent being put in. The procedure is very expensive and prone to complications. :/

Trying not to think that far in advance.
I'm sorry. :(

I have read also that the surgery is not usually worth it or in the best interest of dog.

Sending many vibes that Mia gets through with less exercise and her little smart active mind stays busy indoors. :)

Members online

No members online now.