Breed history experts.... Is this a bull terrier?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

Brattina88

I think old dog pictures are fascinating!! Do you have more to share?;)

Pops2

if i had to say it looks like bully X terrier but only because of the lighter built head. so probably.
white english was considered extinct because of a lack of KC registrations. many breeds were written off as extinct only to have verified photos a decade or more after the KCs decided they were extinct, the bourdeaux is a prime example but also the blue paul & the mexican hairless (xolo).

I've seen similar pictures of Bull Terriers back in the early 1900's, that look very similar to the dog in all 3 photos (the dog on the right in the first picture) and the other dog in the second and third pictures.

The original bull terrier didn't have that exaggerated roman nosed head..

Very interesting photos though! I'm looking through them now. Saw a couple old Collie photos, I have many of them from different old Collie books too. The collie really hasn't changed THAT much, in North America in the last 150 yrs... compared to the collie in other parts of the world!

Pops2

it's not just the lack of roman nose it's the thin sharp shape like a pinscher or manchester. the body structure is right on though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks Pops. So you think even the last one that is much lighter built? The first link is definitely known to be bull terriers.

I love looking at all those old pics, it's very neat.

Pops2

yes, i wasn't sure at first because of the lighter built head, but after looking around some some of the hinks dogs had light pure terrier looking heads & that was because his dogs were more than half terrier. so i belive strongly those are EBTs. if you want an idea of what the english white looked like look for a leggy JRT or a smooth fox that is almost pure white & crop the ears. that'll put you about 95% there.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
this one is the best! ;)

...is that a Swissie? When I saw the thumbnail version, I thought it was a dog's head on a horse's body. haha!

I love those Border Collies. It's amazing how spot-on they are to the working dogs today. And with absolutely no comformation showing/standard, just based on working ability, the breed has remained so true to type.

Members online

No members online now.