Raw bones for tartar?

Sparrow

I've been trying to give Zoe raw bones more often. Can these actually remove tartar in addition to keeping plaque at bay? Her teeth aren't terrible, but it's been a few years since her last dental and she has tartar on her back teeth that is causing bad breath.

Her vet says she could use a dental even though they aren't super bad, but if there is any way to help it without putting her under (plus $$$) I would love it.

Is there anything else that works? I know there are water additives (would have to be cat safe) and the like, but I never know what's hype, what works, and what's scary chemicals to steer clear of.

JacksonsMom

I personally don't do RMB's - we don't feed raw plus I worry too much about tooth breakage.

Honestly, the best thing is going to be a dental while under anesthesia. Don't fall for all the anesthesia-free cleanings, etc, they don't get under the gumline, and aren't really entirely safe or proven to help anything besides aesthetics.

A lot of the water additives don't work well either. The only one that is VOHC approved and has been trialed/tested is HealthyMouth. They also have a gel and a spray. But the CET rinse is supposed to be good (I use the CET toothpaste for Jackson, and his veterinary dentist recommended the brand).

Bones, etc, can definitely aid in helping teeth clean, but shouldn't be the ONLY source IMO anyway. I think brushing is important, and depending on the dog/breed/condition of teeth, it depends on how often it should be done of course.

But if the teeth are 'bad' enough to warrant a dental, I would just get the cleaning done and use it as a new 'starting point'. That's what I did after I let Jackson's teeth get slightly bad.

Skits

I say definitely yes. Raw meat bones. I give them as treats to my dog here and there and it makes their teeth a lot whiter, and my cats eat raw and they have a lot whiter teeth since they started! :)

A client recently started coming in and buying chicken necks for her Yorkie mix to help with his teeth. She feeds as a bed time snack once a day and in a few weeks has already noticed a huge improvement, she's really pleased with how much cleaner his molars are.

My personal experience says YES, feeding raw bones can help with tartar and plaque build up. Will it clean their mouth as well as a full scaling under anesthesia would? Probably not, but it may make a noticeable difference. If you're worried about anesthesia, it may be worth trying raw bones as a treat for a few weeks and see if you notice a change.

Edit: As JacksonsMom mentioned, tooth breakage may be a concern, especially if Zoe is a hard chewer. I don't know if tooth breakage is more likely in an older dog like her. In any case, it may be safest to steer clear of weight-bearing bones from large animals (cows, pigs, deer, etc). Necks, ribs, and weight bearing bones from poultry (like chicken quarters) are probably fine.

I do raw meaty bones once a week, and I've never had to have any dentals done on any of my dogs since starting this. Corvus is 7 this year and still has pearly whites and almost zero tarter or plaque.

Hannah had raw meaty bones all her life and never needed a dental. She was 8 when she passed away. Comparatively, every dane I had prior that didn't get RMBs needed dentals about every 2 years on average.

I do think they are extremely beneficial for dental health.

Marley was almost 14, never had a dental and still had awesome teeth. I dont brush, I just give RMB as part of their diet. Ivy is now 5 and still looks good, my previous dogs always got complimented on their teeth as well.

Breakage can be a concern but usually staying away from weight bearing bones eliminates most of the risk. I give chicken backs, beef/deer ribs, and pork neck (which is a bit harder but my guys are big so I feel ok with them). I used to do bigger bones and never had an issue, but I know they definitely increase the risk so mostly avoid those now.

Now, if bones are NOT helping, or not doing enough because more extreme situations, yes, a dental is going to be much more thorough and would likely be needed.

JacksonsMom

As for anesthesia worry, I DO get it. I never am relaxed until I hear he's safely awake from it, but the reality is that there is more of a risk of your pup dying from cardiac or renal disease due to the effects of periodonal disease than from anesthesia.

There is such a small risk of anesthetic death with up to date protocols. If you have trust in your vet, and make sure the proper pre-op bloodwork and surgical protocols are followed, there's not much to worry about. :)

momto8

We did raw bones for Courtney's teeth, hers were NASTY, I got alot of it off with the raw bones, but not all of it. So we did do a dental, it was quick and easy, she came home bouncing like normal..just with super clean teeth!

Grab

I've had great luck with rmbs removing tartar. Frozen turkey necks have been great, in particular. I work at a vet and do get dentals whenever needed. However, I will also use rmbs to keep the teeth clean as long as possible.

Sparrow

Thanks, everyone. My vet is amazing about anesthetic procedures compared to some others, and I trust them, but I just freak out easily. If the bones haven't helped when we go in for her annual bloodwork, I'll just have that be her pre-op bloodwork for a dental.

Edit: How was I wrong about how many ears a dog has??? lol

Members online

No members online now.