Chews

lucille

I have heard here and there that rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true?
I bought some various other kinds of dog toys and have some kongs, what other stuff is good to help them through their teething stage?

Rawhide is bad.Kongs can be filled with pnutt butter and frozen.Raw meaty bones are good.I also get really hard Rubber toys.Also stay away from Greenies.I have heard horror stories about them.

Fran27

Definitely not greenies... Rawhide is ok when it's the very compressed kind, and you watch them carefully. Hard rubber toys are great if your dogs like them (mine don't care for them). My dogs love rope toys, but Tips destroys them (even swallowed one knot and cost us $500 to make sure he was ok after he threw up a few times). Boris never destroyed one though, so it's a good thing to try, he loved his rope toys. Tips also destroys about any toy. So now my boys have sterilized bones (the stuffed kind, they seem much more resistant than the plain ones even if the stuffing is crap, which they love anyway), and nylabones (the hard type, not the supposedly digestable kind).

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
so, do yall think the edible nylabones are not good for puppies? I was curious, because my Bailey loves them, but he chews them up too bad (fast). He got a few raw hide bones for Christmas, and although I didn't really want to give him raw hide this early (3 1/2 months), I gave one to him for about 15 min's last night and he LOVED it!!

Greenies are green toothbrush looking treats.

I wont give my dog nylabones.I dont want her eating platic.I dont give any rawhide since my dog is a gulper.I do give Raw bones from the grocery store.

lucille

How about those smoked ham bones that come in shrink wrapped plastic at the pet store?

Fran27

Smoked bones can splinter, so it's dangerous in my opinion. For the edible nylabones, I'm not sure. I used to give booda bones to Boris, until he started destroying the whole thing in about one hour. They're supposed to be edible, and disolving in the stomach, but I stopped giving them because when he gets to the end of it he was liable to chocke on them, plus it was just getting way too expensive. Also he got into a couple fights with Tips over one, so it wasn't worth it. I supposed they're ok to give if the dog is supervized while chewing them.

Something else that dogs love is bully sticks, but last time I gave Boris one he chewed it down in about one hour and had horrible diarrhea afterwards, so I'm not going to try again lol.

Fran27

I think it really depends on the dog's tendency to chew things off and the toys in question honestly. As a rule I don't leave my dog any toy they are likely to choke on, whether I am supervizing them or not. They just end up being taken to the yard anyway and I can't look after them all the time when they are there.

Members online

No members online now.