Caucasian Mountain Dog

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

I wanna see if anyone else knows about this rare breed to the united states. They can get up to 200 pounds. They also are aswome guard dogs. They were originaly bred to guard sheep but the soviete union took them in as guard dogs. Which made the breed very aggressive.

Country of origin: Caucasian Republics, Russia MAP
Date of origin: Middle Ages, probably much earlier
Other names: Caucasian Ovcharka, Shepherd or Sheepdog; Nagazi (Georgian Republic), Gampr (Armenia);Kawkasky Owtscharka; Kaukasische Schaferhund
Weight Range: 70-160lbs
Height Range: 26-32inches
Longevity: 10+ years
Color: Shades of agouti gray to fawn, patched, brindle, occasionally all white.
Description: Bear-like head, bluntly cropped ears, stocky, thick coat may be short, medium or long, regional variation, steppe and mountain types
Use: Livestock guardian, area/estate protection, companion, show.
Character: Protective, territorial, suspicious, alert, trainable and willing workers. Requires above average socialization and firm, inducive training. Family oriented, demonstrative, and gentle to well-mannered children with proper raising. Must be under control at all times - fence, leash and voice control. Can be noisy, unmanageable, owner dominant. A wonderful breed but not for everyone.

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

cool my dog is half rotty. I dont think a caucasian mountain dog would make a good house pet either. They are a little to aggressive. I am goanna check out those sites rite now.

EsqCaucasians

Esquire Caucasians
Caucasians have lived with families for thousands of years and , like the Great Pyrenees, do very well as housedogs if they get enough exercise/yard time. Properly socialized, they exhibit excellent judgment and while very protective, are also quite manageable. Most Caucasians in the US live as housedogs. But it takes the right family and the right circumstances. I invite you to my website and over 350 photos of my own Caucasians:

http://www.esquirecaucasians.com

We are the founding kennel for the breed in the United States.

Regards,

Stacey Kubyn
Esquire Caucasians Est. 1990
http://www.esquirecaucasians.com
440-285-2374

Stacey, it's quite an opportunity to communicate directly with someone responsible for bringing such a distinctive breed to this country. They're lovely, admirable creatures, but like our Filas, definitely not for just any dog fancier!

I've got to ask where in Ohio Chardon Township is. My Father's family is from Gallipolis, on the Ohio River about 40 miles east of Cincinnati. My Uncle John spent a great deal of time during the Cold War and after, travelling in the USSR and Russia and up until a recently maintained a law office near Moscow.

I don't know what exactly he was doing in Russia; he was always very evasive about his trips, but, shall we say, we have our suspicions . . . not many people could come and go through Iron Curtain USSR seemingly at will, and he did graduate from the Naval Academy with a degree in Russian studies, speaking fluent Russian, a large, bellicose man . . . it's always been just a tad fishy. It wouldn't surprise me if he had been intrigued with the breed; they're exactly the type of dog that would appeal to him.

EsqCaucasians

Esquire Caucasians
Well if he was doing top secret government stuff he may well have run into the breed as they were used for security purposes by the Soviet government!

bogolove

Wow, those dogs are beautiful. I have always been so intigued by big dogs. I am obsessed with the Greater Swiss Mountain dog, the Bernese Mountain dog, and the Newfoundland. I told my husband if we ever have to move up north (he's originally from Boston and I am originally from Nashville) that I want one of those dogs. I guess I have seen some around here (in Tennessee) but I am sure they probably would prefer cooler weather. It just gets too hot here during the summer.

Here is a decent site to see pics of the Bernese Mountain dogs. You just have to click on the galleries at the top right of the page.

http://www.berner.org/

Does anyone here have a Bernese Mountain dog or know someone who has one?

Members online