Dog crate... Help!!

greatdane74

Big animal lover
Last weekend I started to leave my 13 week old puppy Milo on his own and it didn't go as well as I'd hoped. He whines and chews everything he can get his 'paws' on..

So I've bought a dog crate for him yesterday. It's quite big, so there is enough room for him to move around.. Milo has his bed, toys etc etc in there. I just wanna use it for when he's home alone.. When I introduced the crate to Milo, he was very curious.. He went inside it to have a sniff around.. I found a toy and I started to play with him, while he was inside, which went well.. When i sit at my computer, he goes into the crate and falls asleep in his bed.

Anyway, my boyfriend left him in the crate today for the first time.. Only for about 5 minutes. (We have decided on a routine, before we leave him. We give him a little cuddle, give him his KONG and say 'bye bye, won't be long') But when my boyfriend left, Milo started to whine and bark very loudly..

People have told me just to leave him and let him bark and whine.. That he will soon stop it, when he realizes that no one will come..

I would like some advise.. Cause I don't really know what to do.. Should I just put him in the crate and let him whine and bark?

Saje

Island dweller
If he is a conditioned to the crate as you can get him then yes, eventually you will probably just have to let him get it out of his system. Where is the crate?

Herschel

He will whine and bark for a little while and then hopefully calm down.

Try not to mark your departure with words like "bye bye"--just tell him to "kennel up" or "go to bed" and then give him some treats and leave.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
He will whine for a bit, but he will get over it. :)

Do not make a big commotion out of you or your SO leaving. For our dogs all we say is "crate" and they go running. Once in, or on the way in, they get a treat, the door is closed and that is it.

No whining here anymore. Although Buddy did give us a run for our money. ;)

Members online

No members online now.