Weird foods you've eaten?

Taqroy

I haven't eaten anything that weird (by my standards anyway lol).

Venison
Elk
Buffalo
Duck
Quail
Ptarmigan
Squirrel
Rabbit
Turtle
Emu
Crawfish (YUM)
Octopus, of the raw looking variety and as calamari
Cactus
And a variety of local fish.

The majority of this list is what you eat when you grow up with a dad that hunts and fishes a LOT. Lol.

milos_mommy

What does turtle taste like? Is it similar to alligator (which I can only really describe like a chicken-y taste with a fish kind of texture?)

Fran27

Blood sausage, crawfish don't seem that weird to me. I ate them a lot in France. I can't stand octopus (the texture), I like calamari. I absolutely love sushi, especially raw salmon.

What about tripes? I've had it a few times too. The smell though... ugh.

And brains? I ate lamb brain a lot as a kid...

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I probably don't even know the names of most of the strange things I've eaten. We go to nice restaurants, neither of us understand the menu, we order stuff, and it gets eaten. One of our friends is a huge foodie. He got Adam to try escargot, and he ordered some sort of fungusy thing one time that tasted amazing. And foie gras. I wouldn't order it again for myself, but it doesn't taste bad.

Fran27

I love foie gras, but of course we always had some in France for the holidays... although it's made in a horrible way...

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
The "normal stuff" : Frog legs, sushi, escargot (which I love), foie gras, anything french I've probably eaten at some point or another.

More exotic wise.. My parents traveled a lot with us (Africa, Asia, Europe etc...) and we all travel quite a bit since our family adopts internationally a lot we make an effort to do vacations or go visit. So we got to eat a lot of different things.. we were picky eaters in the US but the rule on vacation was a very stern: This stuff is different but you will NOT be impolite and you will eat at least try it.
Worked well because I liked quite a few of these things: Zebra was good, as was ostrich, guinea pig I am ashamed to say I LOVED.
The birds nest soup and puffer fish were mostly just to say we did lol we didn't make a meal out of them or anything

- Cuy Bien: Guinea pig (Peru)
- Zebra (kenya)
- Girafe (kenya)
- Crocodile (kenya)
- Ostrich (kenya)
- Monkey Brain (costa rica)
- Camel (south africa)
- Antelope (south africa)
- Fried tarantula (Cambodia)
- Puffer fish (Japan)
- Salo: Pig fat (Ukraine)
- Lamb brain (India)
- Haggish (Scotland)
- Deep fried bugs (Asia)
- Bird's nest soup (China)

Saeleofu

Stuff like violets, roses, gooseberries, mulberries, etc.[/QUOTE

We have both gooseberries and mulberries growing in our yard every year. The gooseberries on purpose, the mulberries are wild. I LOVE both berries. The leaves from the mulberry suckers make excellent browse for the chickens as well.

milos_mommy

Fran wins this thread.

I had yucca fries tonight. Not that unusual, but I've only had yucca like once before, so....

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Yes you definitely win. But I've seen this bird nest soup on TV shows...how did it taste?
Honestly? like a savory watery broth but thicker (thicker in a gelatin kind of way not in a creamy way)
It was almost tasteless to me from what I remember. It was exceedingly expensive so my brothers and I shared and the over-all impression was one of "eh.."
Some people say you have to try it a few times to "acquire the taste" but it's not something I would want to try again

We looked forever and my dad knew a local family to take us to a small restaurant they knew.. and there was so much that was SOOOO GOOOD so the soup kind of got ignored lol

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh gosh, if you get the chance, take it!!

Venison is, without a doubt, my favorite meat. nom.
Venison sausage with jalapenos. <3 You gotta like venison in my family. My dad always hunts his maximum (usually in Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma). All the extended family has enough meat for months. We have three deer right now in the freezer.

I'm still not a huge fan of game turkey. It's very dry compared to store bought turkey. We haven't had much luck cooking it.

Pheasant, quail, duck, all that is also normal.

I've also eaten shark, octopus, oysters, roe, crawfish, eel, all that stuff is totally normal to me. I grew up close to the coast with parents that were seafood addicts. I eat sushi (real sushi) all the time. I love love love seafood of all kinds. We had parrot fish once in the caribbean and Octopus salad was interesting. And there was also this big fish that had huge teeth on it. It was the best fish I've ever had and no little bones throughout it. They cook the whole thing, head and all. Tried asking the locals for the name but they didn't know the english name.

yoko

I live in Oklahoma. If you can shoot it, it's been served to me lol.

I'm not really a fan of a lot of 'gamey' flavored food.

I do love alligator. Don't know if that's weird or not. I had it in a pot pie and it was delicious.

crazedACD

I live in Oklahoma. If you can shoot it, it's been served to me lol.

I'm not really a fan of a lot of 'gamey' flavored food.

I do love alligator. Don't know if that's weird or not. I had it in a pot pie and it was delicious.
Oh yeah I forgot I've had like alligator slim jims in Florida..haha. It was good.

Pops2

laurelin
take the turkey breasts, brine over night then slice into serving size pieces then southern fry like chicken.

Members online

No members online now.