No clue of what dog breed to get.

Hi everyone I am new here my mom said that I might get a dog I would like a dog thats
-large but gentle
-low grooming needs
-needs about 45-70 mins of exercise a day
-good with other animals
-can jog by my side when I am trail riding on my horse
-can be left alone for a couple hours

If anything comes to mind please share

sisco16

koda bear
welcome to the forums, I would say a labrador retriever or australian cattle dog, or other type of herding breed like a border collie, australian shepherd.Might be fun since im guessing you live on farm since you have horses

My first thought is to check with shelters and see what you find there :) Lots of mixed and even pure breed dogs end up there that could be exactly what you want. No breed is going to be a guarantee that you'll get the personality traits you want; there is so much variance, just like there is in humans.

I had a German Shepherd/Akita mix for years who would have fit your description perfectly, but typically, you wouldn't expect that from either breed.

Since you want a dog that can be left alone for awhile I'd definitely be looking at adult dogs or older pups though :)

BostonBanker

I agree that hitting the shelters/rescues would be a great way to go. I got my perfect "live in a condo/hang out with me at the horse barn" dog through a rescue, and I loved having a young adult to start with. Housebreaking took all of about 3 days :).

Dekka

Just try me..
Yep I agree. An adult from a rescue or shelter would likely fit your needs the best. That way you can find one that is perfect, and not hope that a pup will be perfect.

I would stay way from dogs with herding lines. They might want to chase horses and herd them. We have had our BC for almost a year now and he is still having a hard time staying out of the paddocks (and I can't imagine how much training it would take to have him come for a hack and NOT scream at the horses)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
You might look at some of the bigger hounds, like Foxhounds. They were bred to be around horses. though not necessarily for staying with them. I'd say Dalmatian, they're bred to be fantastic with horses but they need a TON of exercise, much more than just an hour and a half a day. Well, if it was off-leash at a dog park or swimming, it might be ok. This would be a great place to go to a rescue, they'd have a pretty good idea of what the exercise needs will be.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I would say maybe an adult rescue dalmatian.

That having been said the two best dogs I've seen around horses were both mutts--my dad's bouvier/malamute mix and my aunt's rat terrier/border collie mix. The mal mix lived with my mare for several years and the BC mix would follow us on trails and was excellent off leash.

Some may not agree with this, but if I were looking for a dog that specifically did well with horses I'd look in rescues rather than just picking a dog up from the pound that looks like he could physically fit the bill. A rescue will generally be able to tell you a bit more about the dog than a busy shelter would and a single bad experience with a dog can drastically change a horse's opinion of them.

Most importantly, how is your horse with dogs? Has he been around them much at all? I've owned two horses, and one adored dogs more than most and the other detests them to the point of trying to physically harm then if they get too close.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I would recommend an older rescue Border Collie, if you want to go with a Border Collie. Definitally NOT a Border Collie under the age of 3-4.

That said, I would look for a dog in a rescue that has a good recall -or as the temperment/drive to learn a solid recall- is good around other dogs, and if your lucky, has been introduced to horses before.

hey,I have a little update my mom has a slight change in heart she would perfer a smaller dog that you can carry.And since this dog is going to be staying at my Moms it will not have to be left alone.:cool:
So My mom and I have looked at couple breeds Boston terriers,french bulldogs,shih tzu or a prembroke corgi How do you think these dog would fit my lifestyle from personal expierence?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Corgis are probably out of your list. They're high energy, shed like mad and since they're snarky little herders, will probably nip at your horse instead of running next to it.

None of those dogs are going to make good horse joggers, they're just too small and most have the "smooshy face" which inhibits breathing to a degree.

Shih tzu's need regular grooming, either daily brushing to keep the mats and tangles out (and they tangle easily) or regular clipping to keep them in a shorter coat. They're laid back and cuddly, not very active as far as long walks/running goes (a short jaunt around the block at a quick pace and some tag in the house is usually good) but they're somewhat hard to potty-train.

Bostons are cute but are terriers, meaning they have minds of their own and tend to require quite a bit of exercise for their size. They can get snarky with other dogs and are prone to eye issues (though going to a good breeder who screens both parents for this issue before breeding will lessen your pup's chances of developing them). Easy coat care, just brushing a few times a week with a bristle brush and a bath when necessary.

"Frenchies" are quite clowning, can be prone to breathing issues because of their face shape and joint problems because of their body structure. They are quite clownish in personality and pretty snuggly little guys. Prone to heat exhaustion because of muzzle shape, so exercise outdoors needs to be gauged against the temperature.

not to debate but bostons I believe are not terriers the name is a miscopception.
I really would like a dog that could follow me on my horse or I could tuck him in my shirt(jk or an I) this is going to sound wierd but is thier any medium-small dog that could be my farm buddy?

Romy

Taxiderpy
I remember watching an animal planet special once about a papillon that worked with horses, and spent his days on horseback with his master. He just kind of hopped up on the horses' bum and rode there. I don't know if that is typical of the breed, but you are much more likely to get a halfway athletic dog that can keep up with you in that breed. There are several pap owners on the board who can give more informed opinions on the breed.

If you're still open to a larger breed, pointers, any of the gun dogs really would be excellent choices. Labs, weims, dals, spaniels, etc. If you stick with a close working breed, and make sure to socialize heavily with the horses there shouldn't be any problems (breed related anyway)

Of the larger dogs, I would think the following would work well:

Wirehaired pointing griffon (we have one, he is AWESOME with non poultry livestock and would be perfect for what you are asking of a dog) In Germany they commonly work with riders on horseback, and they are a close working breed which means that while they are hunting/pointing/tracking they work close to their handler and don't wander a half mile away like some other breeds *coughgermanwirehairedpointercough*

Gordon setter. Maybe look into them and see if they do anything for you.

Maybe a vizsla or weimaraner, though they are both pretty active like the dalmations.

Brittany Spaniel?

For smaller breeds, there are smaller spaniels though most of them need to be brushed a couple times a week, or be clipped. I don't know if that is something you are willing to do. My aunt had her american cocker spaniel with her horses all the time, they got along great and he loved trotting alongside the horses on trail rides.

Keeshond? Will require grooming though. No clipping, but brushing.

ok is there a breed that could at least be a farm buddy nothing high stung calm smart.
I really like American Eskimos how are they?

Romy

Taxiderpy
If I put Charlie (our griffon) in a box and shipped him overnight to you right now, he'd be everything you asked for in the first post. As long as you didn't expect him to ignore chickens. :p

A lot of breeds who fit all your other criteria tend to come "high strung" because there are a lot of folks out there breeding Fifi and Fido in the backyard to make some $$$, and not paying attention to temperament. It's pretty likely you could approach a breed specific rescue once you pick the type of dog you want, and find an adult individual who has the perfect temperament and energy requirements for you.

Even among the herding breeds. Not every aussie, corgie, etc. is going to be a stellar herding dog. Even in working bred litters, it's not unusual for a pup or two to lack the drive to do the job they were bred for. When it comes down to it, they are all individuals. You can look at breed as a guide to what you will probably get, and for health (like the squishy bulldog faces) there are physical traits you want to avoid completely. Basset hounds would also be a terrible choice for a dog that you want to keep up with horses every day, just because most won't have the physical stamina to do it.

As an example, one of my friends breeds collies and she has a smooth female that has no interest in herding anything. She is a fabulous tracking dog, she really does great with horses as she does not try to herd them but that isn't average for the breed. Just because it isn't average doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The benefit to a rescue dog is that most of them are fostered in volunteers homes and so they have a good idea of the energy levels, prey drive, etc. of the dog. They may even have access to horses to test the dogs with. or let you introduce them to yours before adopting. Definitely contact some rescues and tell them what you are looking for, you might just find your perfect dog that way.

Odd as it sounds, I have a cousin with three chihuahuas that are her farm dogs. Moto, her main dude, rides horseback with her tucked into her coat. He's a way cool dog.

well I have heard a lot of good expierences about papillions I am going to look into them as french bulldogs and boston terrier are not good in hot weather right?

Paige

Let it be
My 8 pound mutt is the GREATEST riding dog. Just put her in your saddle bag and she's good to go. :D

Small dogs may not be able to come out riding with you but they make lovely little hang out around the barn types.

Actually bostons have a mix of terrier and bulldog personalities (since both were used in their creation). It kind of depends on the individual dog and owner on what personality is more prominent. I know some very busy bostons and I know some bostons who can lay around all day (though most are pretty busy). If you have a preference then I'd go with an adult rescue because you'll have a better idea of what their temperment is like. Bostons in general don't do terribly well in the heat. I usually try not to walk mine during the hottest part of the day. They also have a tendency to snore and be a bit gassy. Because of their short faces they also tend to snort and snuffle which some people may find annoying. They're usually pretty ball crazy and mine absolutely loves squeaky toys. They really are little characters who love to play. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll answer them the best I can.

Members online

No members online now.