Best dog food

ufimych

I feed my dogs all kind of raw meat products I can get cheap. Now, it is mainly what became "ripe" in the grocery and should be thrown out; actually it is still quite good, but smells a little. I have a friendly grocery owner, which sets things aside for my dogs. This includes ground beef, USDA choice chunks of beef and chicken parts. I take it home and store in freezer. In the fall, when hunting starts, I have plenty of venison scraps and whole deer, occasionally. A few years ago, I picked up fresh road kills of animals palatable to dogs, deer, beaver, rabbit or groundhog. If it was fresh, it made a good food for the dogs. Of course, you have to soil your hands to use things like this. How healthy and safe was it? I think it was great. My oldest pair of West Siberian Laika died, when they were 17 year old and they died of age. The male caught and killed his last raccoon, when he was 13 years old. Not bad of an old dog. They never needed a vet. So healthy they were through their entire life. Small injuries healed naturally. Of course, I vaccinate my dogs myself. They were bit by copperhead snakes, some were bit multiple times through their lives, and one time they caught sarcoptic mange from a fox they hunted. I fixed it up by giving my dogs IVOMEC with food; they healed in a weak. My other old dogs died at the age of 11-14 years; they were other Laikas and Airedale Terriers. Now, I have one Laika female (8 years old) and two Saluki males and one female. They are thriving on the same diet - all kinds of raw meats and sometimes sea fish (from the grocery). I always have some quality kibbled dog food, which I use, when I run out of meats.

BostonBanker

Although I think I would draw the line at picking up roadkill, I think you will find that a great many people here feed all or part raw. I agree that the benefits are enormous.

ufimych

Thank you for the comment. In fact, my dogs are not strict carnivores. They like raw fruits of different kinds and they like cooked vegetables, such as pumpkin, cabbage and other baked or otherwise prepared vegetables, soups and broths. Raw meat remains their core diet. I am a zoologist by profession and I am accustomed to dissecting and collecting any kinds of creatures. Therefore, I always notice an opportunity, when I see a fresh roadkill; it is the same as hunted or butchered animal, if it is fresh and does not stink and not loaded with maggots. Dogs are natural scavengers and they are experts to find what they like, although it may seem disgusting to a human taste. Here is a sequence of meat:
1) Venison, rabbit, beaver, groundhog; 2) squirrel; 3) raccoon, opossum, skunk, armadillo. (1) is the tastiest, (2) is well eaten and (3) dogs eat, when they are very hungry or after the meat had been boiled in water for a few minutes. These are results of my experiements, do not do it at home, if you are scared. Now I have a kind grocer, who respects my interest to his throwaways. Groceries throw away tons of excellent dog food almost daily!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
If it was super-fresh roadkill, like that squirrel that literally ran into my tire (I had slowed down to an almost halt and it still died) then while it would gross me out, I'd probably feed that. Anything that had begun to bloat is off-limits though.

I'm switching to raw as soon as I can.

ufimych

During free running trips, my dogs pick up winter olives, black berries and they love wild persimmons very much. I like to watch them, when they eat these healthy natural treats. However, they do not run away with game, which they catch or they tree and I shoot. It belongs to me, I feed them later, at home. We keep four goats, a flock of chickens and geese, which my dogs learned to leave alone. They are hunting dog, but they know very well that farm animals are not to be caught and eaten.

IcyHound

Nothing wrong with fresh roadkill. I check the road by my house daily hoping someone has tagged a dear overnight.

Your dogs are strict carnivores, they just enjoy non species appropriate food that is tasty or interesting.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Now, I have one Laika female (8 years old) and two Saluki males and one female.
Wait a minute....You have laikas and salukis!?!?! Why are there no pictures!?!? Tell us more!

Oh, and if we saw fresh roadkill you can bet I'd give it to Strider. Around here, other people get to it first though. The other day I saw a farmer driving his tractor down the road with the biggest grin on his face. He had a roadkilled deer in his bulldozer scoop. :D As it is, when my snakes aren't hungry the dog gets the leftover rats. He loves rats.

ETA: Strider also loves grazing on berries. Oh man, he will do ANYTHING for salal. For some reason, dogs love it. My old boss had a malamute/wolf/something mix dog, and he LOVED salal. We would go for walks in the forest and he would tag along, plucking every berry he could find off with his lips. That dog lived to be 17, pretty good for a 130 lb giant.

R

rayter

Get Royal Canin. They make premium dog food specific for your breed of dog, with the correct amount of nutrients and minerals your dog needs. Do not buy Science Diet, it is all hype!

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
i think that post was another case of someone not reading the post, just posting random crap to get backlinks to his website(s).

Get Royal Canin. They make premium dog food specific for your breed of dog, with the correct amount of nutrients and minerals your dog needs. Do not buy Science Diet, it is all hype!

Which flavor of Royal Canin, the one with corn as the main ingredient, or the one one corn by products as the main ingredient?

noludoru

Bored Now.
Minpinluvrs, you are so invited to the Snarky B!tch club now. I ROFFLED. *high five*

I was going to respond sarcastically, but my sarcasm meter is broken.

So.

That is all hype. It's absolute nonsense that a different breed of dog needs different nutrients. They are dogs. Poodles don't need more phosphorous, Dobermans don't need more calcium, Boston terriers don't need more Vitamin A, etc.

To the lurkers: If you are buying formulas specifically for your breed, you are being taken because you are gullible.

Suzzie - doubt it's that.. I didn't check the dog sites (I refuse to give them hits), but I don't think that spammer sells food - at least not on that account. It might be a good opportunity for one of his other accounts to pop in and say, "why gosh golly gee! I happen to sell Royal Canin! What a coincidence!"

noludoru

Bored Now.
OMG SRSLY?

I need a lolcat picture to go with my lolcat speak. :(

Yes, I am jealous. I want Royan Canin for my Cutedor Springer Pointaroo. My breed is, like, discriminated against or something because it's so rare. :rofl1:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I felt it was appropriate. I'm glad you're all pleased with it, I try to control myself, but in this case, with the ads on his post, I just couldn't help it :)

noludoru

Bored Now.
Oh geesh, don't be sorry. We all enjoyed it. It was perfectly within reason and definitely not flaming, or even particularly rude.

Besides, its one of those topics that pushes my buttons. Different breeds of animals need different types of food like different races of humans do. It's silly. We're all the same things and have, within reason and taking age and health issues into consideration, the same needs.

Members online