Crow Problem

I got crows and other birds coming into my backyard. They're pooping all over the place and its driving me crazy to get out the pressure cleaner everyday. How can I make them stop coming?

-Jon

You can get fake owls and put them out to keep the starlings out of your yard. I think there are even some with motion sensors built in that will make noise. The only drawback to the owls is that sometimes the starlings get smart and figure out that owls aren't out in the daytime!

Some towns will set off harmless but noisy charges for you to scare them off as they're considered a health hazard.

Gustav said:
Throw bird seed into your neighbours garden! Lol! :D
Lol I would but they would cry about it for months.

Any other tips I really need to get rid of these things. I really want to get a gun and shoot them but if I miss, than I'm gonna shoot the other houses around here. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

The problems getting worse cuz theyre starting to try and attack me. I cant go outside without a tennis racket or ill get dive bombed by a crow. UGHHHH i hate them sooo much.

-Jon

Last edited:
You should call your town's city manager and ask who you need to speak to about this problem. His secretary can probably give you the right information. Another place to call is the wildlife resources agency.

Doberluv

Throw bird seed into your neighbours garden! Lol!
ROFLOL!!!

Yes, I'd do what Renee said. That is positively getting out of hand....sounds like the balance of nature is screwed up a little in that area. I'd probably shoot them too. Those owls sound great, but the birds will get habituated to them and come right back. It would be nice to have a trained, pet hawk. That would fix 'em.

Before you start shooting you'd better check to see if there are any laws against discharging firearms where you are! Not to mention tell your neighbors what you're doing.

We have more birds hanging around in our neighborhood than other years. I sit outside watching and I've told my husband I swear that some of them tease Princess! So reading your post just convinces me more that I'm right. The ones that tease are crows. The bird sits on the fence and hollars to get Princess' attention then swoops down just above Princess then up to a tree just out of Princess' reach. Princess goes nuts, jumping at the tree and barking. I dont think my husband believes me when I tell him a bird is picking on Princess!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
If they are attacking u it sounds like they have a nest out there..wish you liked them instead..crows can be fascinating.

Smkie, I'm betting they aren't crows - that they're actually starlings.

Our crows here are gorgeous and they are very interesting. I'd love to be able to 'tame' one to the point it would stay with me. They're very intelligent creatures. The ones here are so big; I'm not really sure they aren't ravens.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
the cockraoches or the bird world??/ and to think starlings started from 6 pairs!!Have you ever read Blind jack? I think that was a jackdaw actually..but my old boss had a pet crow he told me about once in awhile..it's name was Hansi and he said his mother would keep corn in the pocket of her apron..and that Hansi would fly down while she hung up the laundry and beg from her.

We have the sterlings, black birds, robins. Very busy out here with the birds. I've seen more carinals than ever in our neighborhood. Hope we'll see more hummingbirds this summer too then. I have a bush right outside our office window, I looked out one day to see 3 carinals. That was fun to see. But this is the first year I've ever noticed birds teasing a dog. lol, it's kind of funny to watch.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my favorite are thrashers..shy and elusive, and the mocking bird of course..plus all the pretty little wrens..i have a bugler out near the grape vines. you hear him more than see him. There was one at the burned house that loved my blackberries. When i was picking them once a big black snake had coiled himself up in the bush and i knew he was just waiting for my little wren.

Ya probably are starlings, either way I want them gone. They've started to pick on Boomer and Carry. Carry almost caught one that got too close but let it go. Hes such a good little helper. He always chases them off.

-Jon

nedim

Doberluv said:
ROFLOL!!!

Yes, I'd do what Renee said. That is positively getting out of hand....sounds like the balance of nature is screwed up a little in that area. I'd probably shoot them too. Those owls sound great, but the birds will get habituated to them and come right back. It would be nice to have a trained, pet hawk. That would fix 'em.

Yeah, it would be good to introduce a natural predator, just to keep the balance.

The starlings will run off all the other birds, either directly or by taking all the food and nesting places - not to mention creating a possible health hazard. Contact your wildlife agency and see if they won't give you some good advice and possibly help.

Members online

No members online now.