New here

Ayashe

Hi,
I guess it's about time to introduce us. :p

My name is Ayashe, I'm 26 and from Germany. ;) My dog's name is Gizmo, he'll be 8 years old in a week and is a Rough Collie. He is an epileptic (Grand Mal seizures, Status epilepticus each time, no meds). I'm always looking for new information about Epilepsy. So any link, epilepsy forum, article, etc. is highly appreciated.

Welcome! Gizmo is gorgeous!:)

Sorry to hear about his epilepsy. My 5 yo standard poodle, Chloe, has also had a few grand mal seizures and was put on pheno as they were increasing in frequency. Knowing the potential of long-term pheno use I did not want her to have to be on it for any long term if at all possible.

So I did alot of internet surfing looking for any info I could find. I did find something on one of the lab forums (sorry, I don't remember the site & I lost all my "favorites" when my hard drive crashed). It was all about food and the possible link. There was a strong recommendation of a particular kibble, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Duck & Potato. It was said that many times after switching to this there was either a complete end to the seizures or a dramatic reduction in the frequency & severity of them. I did change my dogs over to it over 6 months ago, keeping Chloe on the pheno for 1 mo. during the switch and then stopped it. So far Chloe has had no more seizures and it also seems to help with Farley's allergies.

I'm not sure if you have this food available in Germany but you could check it out on-line and see the ingredients list and perhaps find a comparable one where you are if you wanted to give this a try.

I will do some research and see if I can again find the link for you. It was actually very interesting and had even shown using the same theories and helping human medical conditions as well.

Ayashe

Hi,
thanks for the welcome! :)

@LabBreeder
Thanks for the links. Didn't know 3 of them and will read them asap.

@poodlesmom
Gizmo was on meds for quite a while and it didn't change a thing. He has his seizures once or twice a year. So no more meds, except for the diazepam to stop the seizures. We'll try classical Homeopathy next.

I've heard about that food, but I'm feeding raw (no grain and gets extra taurine and gelatin). It didn't help with the seizures yet, but it helped with all the other problems my dog had because of dry dog food.

Members online

No members online now.