Question on puppy and heat

hiki0921

I have a question about my puppy. She went into heat Friday April 14th, so it has been a month. I am assuming her heat is now over, the swelling is pretty much completly gone and she isnt as restless as she was a few weeks ago. However her nipples are still enlarged. This worries me a little because while in heat there was a 5min or so period where she got outside with a unneutred male dog who would just about stalk us on every walk. Please tell me her still enlarged nipples are just from her still high hormonal levels and not a pregnancy.....how can u tell if she is pregnant besides getting x-rays?? On a different subject, I am getting flea medecine tommorrow....I was planning on gettin Frontline, however I have talked to people t hat love it and others that say it is worthless. I live near a little bit of woods and Nala often runs around in them. Anyone have expereice with Frontline? Any other good brands?? the brand has to be okay for households with cats as well (as ive heard Advantix is bad for cats) THANKS!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Why haven't you spayed your girl? If you are unsure when a heat starts & the symptoms of it, it is best to leave breeding dogs up to experts, and spay her ASAP. A lot of bitches can still have high hormonal levels after their heat; if the signs do not disapear within the next couple weeks, it's time for a trip to the vet! For future reference, if it really was 5 minutes that they were together, and you're positive of that, it is unlikely that she was impregnated. Breeding usually takes at least 15-30 minutes, because of the tying and such.

Frontline Plus is really good, I use it on my pups and they have yet to get fleas/ticks.

hiki0921

I had a appointment to get her spayed and then I ended up havign to go home and had to cancel. 3 Days later she got on her period......Thanks for the advice on Frontline tho

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
There is a pregnacy test for dogs. I dont know how accurate it is but its something to talk to your vet about.
Wish you the best.

She is hormonal. Sometimes after their first heat this happens. One of mine did this. She had a little bit of false pregnancy. Her nipple would not be swollen yet if she were pregnant. Dont be surprised if she gets a little bit of milk in and starts to nest. This will pass in a couple of weeks. Dont pet her on her belly as this will promote milk. Read up on false pregnancy in dogs. She probably wont do this again. This usually happens after the first heat. I like to spay after first heat. My vet spays three months after first heat. Dogs need these hormones to develope properly. You wouldnt do this to a 10 or 12 year old girl would you?

rowdy ridgeback said:
I like to spay after first heat. My vet spays three months after first heat. Dogs need these hormones to develope properly. You wouldnt do this to a 10 or 12 year old girl would you?
I thought this was an old fashioned belief and not true...

Also arent animals at a greater risk of cancers later in life if spayed after their first heat?

I dont know much about this and was just wondering.

OP: I hope everything works out with your pup.
Good Luck

Elissa

They are at risk of Pyrometra if not spayed. Pyrometra is infection of the Uterus that is very nasty. Also Uterine cancer. Which of course because they still have a Uterus and of course they are more at risk. But they are spayed after the first heat. Doctor like to spay because of the risk of unwanted puppies. I highly reccommend some books on natural health. I would give a serving of plain yogurt twice a week for a couple of weeks to ward off any bacterial build up in her Uterus. Good luck with the spay. It is nerve racking for a doggie parent.

I wanted to tell you this too. My parents got a Golden Retreiver when I was 4. They gave her her puppy shots and never spayed her. Never gave anymore shots after that. They gave her food scrap with a little bit of dog food every night. We are from California so we never had to deal with ticks. She never went to the vet her whole life until the week before she died at the ripe age of 15. They got another Golden a year after that. They did the same thing. She died just last Dec. at the age of 14. I was really curious about this. I started using a holistic vet and they believe a lot about this practice. I do reccommend spaying your dog though. Vets are a business. They want you to come in a lot. Look into vaccinations and dog food. You will be surprised what kind of business it is. There is a good book called Protect your Pet.

Members online

No members online now.