The "mistakes" regarding your dogs breed thread

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
LOL no kidding! I say Malinois and they're like "oh a Malamute!". Even Roust's rabies certificate says "Belgian Malamoot". The only people who put it together are the ones who already at least kind of know what a Mal is and they usually ask me "Is that a Malinois (Or Malinoise LOL)? Our police department has one" or some such thing.

I tend to say Malinois just out of habit, unless I have Roo and a Black Dog out then I say they're Belgian Shepherds because it's easier. Saying Belgian Shepherd is certainly a better idea for simplicity and I try to remember but...it's hard! My dogs with their funny names and weird breeds just get confusing looks all around from the general public LOL

Popularity isn't as much an issue as breeders willing to sell dogs to anyone with no screening and no strings attached. And that seems to be pretty common with Mals :(
Popularity draws people in, but yes the breeders should be steadfast, in theory. Unfortunately in breeds without much interest the money breeders usually move on looking for an easier to sell commodity, that's all I mean.

Side note, I met a pyr today. Very cute!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
With Savvy I think people ask what he is just so they don't accidentally end up with one LOL
I will take him. I was talking to a pyrshep person recently and she says people just assume hers came from the pound. Poor weird looking little sheepdogs. :lol-sign:

Shep? lol

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I don't think I would guess ES if I met her either! They're just all so different looking and not really generic but have the good old farm dog look to them. When I did run into a ES I thought Aussie/BC mix but when she said English Shepherd I was like "OHHH! That makes sense!"

But, if I saw a Koolie I probably wouldn't guess Koolie either so I never expect anyone to ever get it!
If I saw Quinn on the street I would guess Border Collie cross too! :) She's on the bigger side for a BC bitch but has a similar build.

We have an ES (different breeder, but same grandsire as Quinn) who comes into my work pretty regularly. His owner was very surprised when I knew his breed - he definitely wasn't expecting it! He started to do the spiel about the breed, then I mentioned I had one and her was surprised, then SUPER excited lol!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Popularity draws people in, but yes the breeders should be steadfast, in theory. Unfortunately in breeds without much interest the money breeders usually move on looking for an easier to sell commodity, that's all I mean.

"Sloan" & "backup" are weird names? I guess to someone they might be but I don't think they are weird, I think they are cool! Backup's name just fits his adorable expressionable face :D

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
If I saw Quinn on the street I would guess Border Collie cross too! :) She's on the bigger side for a BC bitch but has a similar build.
There was a ES at our last agility trial -- pretty tri girl (almost no white...looked nearly black and tan). I asked if she was an ES and the lady grinned and talked all about her for the next twenty minutes hehe

Regarding Flat-Coats, I actually haven't had anyone guess anything weird in a while. In the summer if we're out in public it's usually to go to the lake, and there people just say she's one happy retriever. At training/competition stuff here, everyone pretty much knows who she is now and are familiar with the breed. I even went to a PetSmart with her about three weeks ago and a gal in the parking lot called out, "Is that a Flat-Coated Retriever???" I was surprised she knew, but Mira was just happy to get some lovin' lol

Aleron

I will take him. I was talking to a pyrshep person recently and she says people just assume hers came from the pound. Poor weird looking little sheepdogs. :lol-sign:
I get that a lot with Savvy "Awwww did he come from the pound?" or "how wonderful that you rescued him!". And I'm like "errr...ummm....weellll....". Oh and if I take him to the flea market people automatically think I'm trying to give him away. And that was especially so when he was a puppy.

Occasionally people meet him and are like "OMG I love him!". Usually people who are into dog sports but occasionally pet owners too. I guess some people just like crazy ;) I think it's safe to say he won Emily over with his hypeactive-ADD-can-I-be-your-boyfriend-random-springing-flinging charm LOL.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I think it's safe to say he won Emily over with his hypeactive-ADD-can-I-be-your-boyfriend-random-springing-flinging charm LOL.
I LOVE HIM!!! He's very charming indeed, makes me kinda want one. But right now I need a PyrShep like I need a hole in my head.

I don't know, I don't mind confusion over my dogs. They're not appropriate for the average "oh they're pretty, and my how well they behave!" to purchase so its for the best they stay in the dark. If anything I usually say yup, like a GSD only from Belgium or Belgian shepherd. Hopefully then they will at least google before buying one.

http://thedogsnobs.com/2013/06/15/owner-profile-in-over-their-head-ignoramus/
That blog is full of awesome, I have spent half my night on it now.

Members online

No members online now.