Cropping Pittie Ears

Amstaffer

Sal came from the breeder that way....and after the discomfort he went through as a pup, I wouldn't advise anyone to have it done. Plus I much prefer the natural look.

BostonBanker

I think pit bulls naturally have the cutest ears of all breeds! I don't like the cropped look on any breed, but I think taking off those ears in particular is especially silly.

S

Squishy22

I like natural ears on pit bulls the best. I think people get them cropped just to make them look more intimidating.

I believe there are 4 different crops you can do on a pit bull. The show crop is ok looking, but the battle crop is disgusting, its where the dog just has a little nub for ears. Its gross.

houndlove

coonhound crazy
Ugh that fighting crop job is capital-g GROSS!

The show crop I feel the same as crops in other breeds: I prefer natural but there are other bigger fish to fry in the world of dog welfare that crops and docks are kind of at the bottom of my list of concerns. Though I do absolutely love natural ears on dobes.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I like the natural ear. When I was growing up, the AmStaff breed standard contained a typo that was repeated everywhere. It used to say that the ears could be cropped, or if natural were to be "Half-rose or prick." The uncropped ear was so uncommon in the show ring that no one bothered to change it for years! Of course it's fixed now.

Boemy

I think the natural ears look cutest! I love natural ears that are expressive. :)

Paige

Let it be
I like the natural look on all dogs however I have nothing against crops being done properly. No backyard axe please/

verderben

I prefer cropped ears. Any APBT or Am Staff I have in the future if its young enough will be cropped.

MoonStr80

Obessed with Dogs
That's exactly my thoughts when I think of ppl docking or/and cropping! What not the worse part is they do with a batcher knife not even close to being educated owners! I'm proud to say Misty has natural ears, they may not be PERFECT! BUT -- I still love her to pieces

Look at this beautiful angelic girl of MY! How would you ever want to crop that beautiful face?

On about cropping ears on Pit related dogs I do agree I think they look much cutier with natural ears

Natural, its' cruel !

I wonder if he would also alter his children's ears to make them more aesthetically pleasing !

I prefer that the owner be able to choose for themselves. But all the dogs in my house are natural.

ETA: I would also prefer that breeders take ears into consideration when they breed, rather than just figuring they can crop them off anyway. So many people -- especially those showing in AKC/UKC -- crop ears that sometimes its hard to know who is going to throw nice ears and not. You're looking at a pedigree full of surgically-corrected ears.

Last edited:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Ella has absolutely irresistable ears.
Aside from my personal (rather strong) preference for natural ears on bully breeds (well on any breed, actually), cropped ears make them look incredibly more "intimidating." I know people who think they are frightening looking because of cropped ears. Of course it's a choice, I just would want to detract from anything that makes a targeted breed more frightening to a lot of the public, which is doubtful of and frightened them in the first place.

I don't mind the cropped look on Dobes, but on pits, I love the natural ears. I have to agree, in a breed that is routinely targeted as mean, it is much better to leave them with their ears. They don't look as mean with their natural ears and the natural ears help show off the goofy and expressive side of the pit bull much better.

S

Squishy22

I prefer that the owner be able to choose for themselves. But all the dogs in my house are natural.

ETA: I would also prefer that breeders take ears into consideration when they breed, rather than just figuring they can crop them off anyway. So many people -- especially those showing in AKC/UKC -- crop ears that sometimes its hard to know who is going to throw nice ears and not. You're looking at a pedigree full of surgically-corrected ears.
I love the half-prick type ears on pit bulls. I believe they are more desirable than rose ears, but I could be wrong. I dont understand why breeders dont start breeding for NATURAL pleasing ears instead of taking the easy route by just chopping them off.

Kayota

I agree, Reggin... just the other day my mom and I mistook a deerhead Chihuahua for a min pin from afar, and my mom asked why they don't just outbreed min pins to deerhead chis...

I love the half-prick type ears on pit bulls. I believe they are more desirable than rose ears, but I could be wrong. I dont understand why breeders dont start breeding for NATURAL pleasing ears instead of taking the easy route by just chopping them off.
Half-prick ears are not as common. Its been said that a lot of judges dont' recognize a good half-prick earset, because the rose ears are much more frequent. Terra started off with one half-prick ear and one rose.

I personally am against cropping, its not a very pleasant procedure IMO. Anything that has to be done by a vet to make the look, is unnatural, and not worth it.

I prefer natural ears and tails in ALL dogs. I especially like natural dobie ears and tails. I wouldn't want a part my ears altered.

elegy

overdogged
personally i think mushroom's ears are perfect ;) though luce's are much more entertaining.

I'm fine with natural or cropped. I think both look good for its own reasons. However cropping just because the dog looks "sissy" natural, is stupid and unjustified! The reason I would crop if I were to get a Pit Bull is because of hog hunting.

Members online

No members online now.