weight loss - should i be concerned?

cavkingcharlesx3

wannabe raw feeder
hi,
so my dog - 4 year old cavalier king charles spaniel, male, neutered - has been on canidae ALS and lamb/rice formula for several months now. in that time period, he has gone from weighing almost 29 pounds to a solid 23 pounds. He had always been slightly over weight, even though he was slightly large for the breed. he seems great - energetic on walks, bright eyes, healthy appetite, good stool, clean teeth, etc. but i was wondering if should be concerned that he has lost 6 pounds - because he has never lost this much before. previously he had been on natural balance reduced fat diet and the canidae really seems to be working out for him.

thank you!

If he's at a healthy weight now, just watch him to make sure he doesn't continue to drop weight. If he does, increase the amount you're feeding to accommodate. If he continues to drop weight, a vet check would be in order.

BARC

I would suggest visiting www.stopcanineobesity.com where you can take a simple quiz to identify if your dog is at risk for overweight and find vets in your area that can help address these issue.

Just an FYI - The National Canine Weight Check is an educational campaign happening during the month of February. We’re encouraging everyone to get a free weight check for their dogs at a participating vet’s office. At each free weight check, our vet partners will hand out weight check cards to help you track your dog’s weight, as well as other educational materials and information to get a cool free gift.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
It could be the calorie difference between the food switch has made him drop some weight naturally... just like us, if you cut calories, a dog will lose weight. If 23 pounds is a healthy weight for him and he's maintaining it solidly on the Canidae, especially because everything else seems to be just fine, I don't think there's a problem at all!

Members online

No members online now.