'senior' foods?

I've just noticed that the dog food bags are not only divided into 'puppy' and 'adult' but further divided into various types of adult formula, including one for 'dogs 7 and up.' Are these actually legit divisions, or just a marketing scheme? I mean, I know the puppy food is legit, and I suspect that an older dog, maybe 9+, could use different nutrition, but 7? Last time I looked, 7 was still considered maturity, not seniority, for a dog of average size.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Some of the newer senior foods on the market are very nice, not just for seniors, but also as alternatives for overweight adults.

These products are not like the old senior formulas which are just low in protein and fat and high in carbs, but they are usually higher in protein than regular adult foods (the idea behind this is that the digestive tract in older dogs doesn't work as efficiently anymore, and their metabolism slows down) but lower in fat, to supply less calories for less active dogs.

They are definitely not gimmick products. :)

gallop-dq

Mordy,

Can you give us some names of senior foods that are of the better quality, high protien, low calorie variety? Thanks. :)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Three that come to mind are for example Innova Large Breed Senior, Innova Senior Plus and Eagle Pack Senior Care. Not to say that these are the only ones, but they follow the nutritional principles I explained above. :)

Members online

No members online now.