The dog musing/vent thread

Saeleofu

This song came on the radio on the way back from Garden City and I broke down crying because I miss my dogs, and this is totally Gavroche's song, because he's my <3 dog despite not being "perfect."

[YOUTUBE]450p7goxZqg[/YOUTUBE]

Also I might be crazy. I'm considering putting Gavroche in UKC Rally 1 in October because I can and it's on leash and there's no pressure because he's already got his URO1 title. Even though he's technically retired. He had fun at the trial on Saturday even though he wasn't entered in rally, he enjoyed being there, which is SO much better than he was a couple years ago.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Summer is actually gripping her tug! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Cynder played fetch the other day. With a nylabone. Michael and I were both like o_O. Made sure to keep it low pressure, super happy, and tons of fun and we actually got four retrieves out of her, completely with happy tail, play bows, and sassy backtalk.

It really makes me sad that she had such a repressed upbringing, because I think had she been brought up differently (instead of severely scolded/punished every time she even thought about "playing" as they were afraid she was going to "hurt their boys") she would be so much more confident with herself and able to "let go" more often, instead of sitting there looking worried about everything.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I really hate it when my parents spring stuff on me like home inspections. Especially when I'm going to have to be working, and **** like that takes two or more hours. Roxie's anxiety has been so freaking terrible, I've been thinking about putting her on meds... Now I'm just going to have to try and get someone to fill in for me, because having my parents take Rox back to the other house without me is NOT an option. I can't trust them to keep her safe.

Now I feel like the most horrible person ever. I should have just got her sedatives for situations like this. I am such an idiot. Why can't I have just made a vet appt earlier, and why can't my parents be reliable? I've been trying so hard to manage her anxiety without meds. It was working for a long time before all this crap.

And you know what? This is going to turn into another "you need to just put that dog to sleep" conversation. Just why. Roxie is fine, if you wouldn't spring this stuff on us. We had a new routine going that was working perfectly.

k9krazee

Crossbone got to stop at the bakery for a little snack & he carried it allllllll the way home.

He then promptly buried it in the yard.

I guess our morning walks for coffee will continue to be just that - so much for thinking Bonehead would enjoy a new routine that included a little treat!!

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Crossbone got to stop at the bakery for a little snack & he carried it allllllll the way home.

He then promptly buried it in the yard.

I guess our morning walks for coffee will continue to be just that - so much for thinking Bonehead would enjoy a new routine that included a little treat!!

That dogs got talent, carrying it for so long. Roxie wouldn't carry any form of treat, unless its to her bed. Even then, she usually drops it twice (and at least once on my foot when I first give it to her).

My instinctual reaction to resource guarding is so different from my intellectual one :-/ I ploughed right through "Mine!" and tried to absorb every bit of what Jean Donaldson was, quite thoroughly, telling me to do...but when push comes to shove and Astro snarls at me over something I gave him ten minutes ago and need to take away (to redirect him to eating it on his mat, for example, rather than on the nice new couch), for some reason it feels like an insult. I get this rush of "oh no you did NOT!" and I want to challenge him on it.

It's super weird. This dog will never know what an alpha roll is, I find dominance theory pretty eye-rolling, but there's a part of me that, when I'm truly honest with myself, understands why people resort to that type of thing. You get offended, you feel like the dog needs to understand that what he did was not. acceptable. And yet I know it's yanking stuff out of his mouth on walks (thanks for being litter-tastic, NYC!) partially that's made him this way, and yanking stuff out of his mouth more is only going to be counterproductive.

I need to suck it up, carry kibble in my pocket, and start raining food down on him when I approach him with a bully stick again. I need to practice "drop" daily. His RG goes down SO MUCH when I do those two things regularly, to the point where he wags his tail when he sees me coming toward him while he's got something, but I forget or I think "he's gotten so much better!"...and then we wind up at today, where I casually reach over to take his bully stick away, and he stands up and snarls. He's never snapped at any living being, ever, but he's clearly a grump about it and he does escalate pretty rapidly unless I step up to the plate and work on it with him often.

Every now and then, I do wish he was an easier dog. Holy heck this 10 month old is serious business sometimes. I love him and he's such a mush in so many ways, but there are moments where I think "Wow, if I didn't bother to put training on him, who knows how he'd turn out..." He's not one of those dogs that I feel would turn out all right no matter what, and that makes me feel overwhelmed sometimes. I always knew my Sheltie was going to be a soft little sweetheart, no matter what we did, but Astro is not that pup.

/rant and stressiness.

Sparrow

The local shelter is advertising a 1yo Malinois mix who is "learning to accept strangers but has a ways to go." With all the local idiots, whose extent of dog training knowledge is "be the alpha" and "do an alpha roll," I fear for this girl's future.

Last edited:

*blackrose

Why can he not wait patiently? Why must he whine, and jump, and generally act like a stupid, annoying animal? SITTING OUTSIDE FOR A WHOLE MINUTE WILL NOT KILL YOU STUPID DOG. The muddy pawprints all over my door is getting very annoying, and if he scratches anything or tears up the screen he's in trouble. I don't even know how to work with him on it, because if I ignore him, he WILL scratch something up, but telling him to get off or sit reinforces the behavior because he's getting attention.

I guess I need to start from scratch and work on him being okay left alone in curtain areas. He's fine if I crate him, or put up a gate or a shut an inner door with him on the other side...but apparently outer doors aren't the same.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Mr. Payton was a super good boy this morning... I was running a little late so I put him in his crate early along with his crate cookies, then I finished getting dressed and putting my makeup on and stuff. He ate his cookies, then he sat down, then he lay down. And he just lay there watching me, smiling, quietly being a good boy.

About a year ago this would NOT have been possible. Me being in the room while he was in his crate would have been cause for an angry temper tantrum. Not today... nope. Super duper good boy.

Maybe he IS mellowing a bit as he gets older.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Why can he not wait patiently? Why must he whine, and jump, and generally act like a stupid, annoying animal? SITTING OUTSIDE FOR A WHOLE MINUTE WILL NOT KILL YOU STUPID DOG. The muddy pawprints all over my door is getting very annoying, and if he scratches anything or tears up the screen he's in trouble. I don't even know how to work with him on it, because if I ignore him, he WILL scratch something up, but telling him to get off or sit reinforces the behavior because he's getting attention.

I guess I need to start from scratch and work on him being okay left alone in curtain areas. He's fine if I crate him, or put up a gate or a shut an inner door with him on the other side...but apparently outer doors aren't the same.
Did you raise him in an apartment? I found that mine, Mia especially, had to learn that it's ok to be in the yard. I feed them outside in good weather now, and we play a lot out there. It's really helped to just get her okay with relaxing out in the yard. Especially giving her things like raw meals outside where she gets preoccupied with eating/chewing.

But basically I think it's from the fact that in apartment living she was either outside with me on a leash or inside. If we were off leash outside we were 'doing something' so outdoors was never just a place to 'be'.

I have a big glass door so I can watch them from the kitchen/living room if anyone is worried.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh and I worked it very very slowly. Like I'd let them go potty then I'd duck inside for a minute. It's taken a long time to get them ok with being out there extended periods and I'd never leave them outside if I wasn't right near the door watching. Mia sometimes still has barking fits (last week it was birds she was chasing along the fence).

I also did a lot of days where I'd gate them in the kitchen and leave the back door open. Mia would come and go as she pleased so that helped, I think.

I just like for them to get more outdoor time if possible when it's good weather.

*blackrose

Did you raise him in an apartment? I found that mine, Mia especially, had to learn that it's ok to be in the yard. I feed them outside in good weather now, and we play a lot out there. It's really helped to just get her okay with relaxing out in the yard. Especially giving her things like raw meals outside where she gets preoccupied with eating/chewing.

But basically I think it's from the fact that in apartment living she was either outside with me on a leash or inside. If we were off leash outside we were 'doing something' so outdoors was never just a place to 'be'.

I have a big glass door so I can watch them from the kitchen/living room if anyone is worried.
Oh and I worked it very very slowly. Like I'd let them go potty then I'd duck inside for a minute. It's taken a long time to get them ok with being out there extended periods and I'd never leave them outside if I wasn't right near the door watching. Mia sometimes still has barking fits (last week it was birds she was chasing along the fence).

I also did a lot of days where I'd gate them in the kitchen and leave the back door open. Mia would come and go as she pleased so that helped, I think.

I just like for them to get more outdoor time if possible when it's good weather.
I did raise him in an apartment and while I wasn't always right out there with him, most of the time it was a "go out on your chain, then come back in" kind of thing. I think the main issue may be that the door is glass? He's never had that before, and I think the lack of a "solid" barrier is aggravating the issue. That, and I'm not sure if he views it as an extension of the house.

I may try feeding him outside and see if that helps. I also like the idea of leaving the door open, but then I'd be super freaked out that giant bugs would come inside. :lol-sign:

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!

This. Mine stay outside during the day as long as someone is here and the weather is nice. The dogs I raised from puppies get it, they know when hey go out and when they come in. Buddy on the other hand did the whole whining, scratching at the door and generally throwing a tantrum. That lasted for a month or so, now he l, like the other dogs can't wait to get outside.

I made a conscious decision to sacrifice my screen door on the altar of "you don't get what you want that way."

He doesn't really jump on the screen door anymore, but eventually he knocked out a big enough hole that they can just jump through it if the inner door is open so while I know he learned A lesson I'm not completely sure WHICH lesson. If I ever replace it, I guess I'll find out.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I made a conscious decision to sacrifice my screen door on the altar of "you don't get what you want that way."

He doesn't really jump on the screen door anymore, but eventually he knocked out a big enough hole that they can just jump through it if the inner door is open so while I know he learned A lesson I'm not completely sure WHICH lesson. If I ever replace it, I guess I'll find out.
Aww no :( if you replace it that'll mean no more urban agility :(

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Got an awesome vest on etsy from GiveADogAHome for Roxie. It is bright yellow and says, "in training, keep dogs away". Top notch vest, and no dogs bothered us today. Lots of questions and compliments and well wishes (that Roxie gets better/less terrified of other dogs). Roxie also got to give kisses to quite a few people.

Why did I not do this sooner? More interaction with people, and none with dogs. I should have got this vest ages ago. My only regret is not having "please" in front of "keep dogs away". That was rude of me.

But so much yay. Only downside is that I can't use the vest and my Stillwater ring harness. Oh well.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
omg. My arms are complete jello after the wrestling match that just ensued in order to trim Cajun's nails. CLEARLY they have never been trimmed before. And probably no one has ever touched her feet before. I have NEVERRRRR had a dog flail that much.

My plan was to try actually desensitizing her but they were just so long and the CLICK CLICK CLICK was too annoying.

*blackrose

omg. My arms are complete jello after the wrestling match that just ensued in order to trim Cajun's nails. CLEARLY they have never been trimmed before. And probably no one has ever touched her feet before. I have NEVERRRRR had a dog flail that much.

My plan was to try actually desensitizing her but they were just so long and the CLICK CLICK CLICK was too annoying.
I trimmed my dogs' nails today, too, and Abrams decided he wanted to be a butt. I got the front ones done okay with only minor wiggles, but when I went to do the back...FLAIL FLAIL FLAIL CHEW NIBBLE MOUTH FLAIL. Brat. So he got held down and had treats thrown at his face until he thought it would be a good idea to stop being an idiot. Dumb dog. I literally only had to tip two nails on each foot. I would really hate to see how he'd act if he was owned by someone who had never touched his nails before. I've been doing them every two weeks since he was 8 weeks old and he's still a butt. He'd probably be one of those chainsaw dogs that takes a muzzle and 4 people to hold down.

I need to remember to try smearing peanut butter on the floor next time...

Members online

No members online now.