Fawn

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I have a 2-3 week old Fawn i rescued she had been attacked by something but she is fine now. My vet has seen her and her leg in on a splint. I spend most of my time with her bottle feeding her. She Spends her days in Amirs stall while he is in his paddock and at she stays in the house. I knows its wrong but hey what else do you expect from me? Her name is Sweetie

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I don't think there is anyone better qualified to look after Sweetie until she is better!! Thank goodness she found you Scarlette!!

Saje

Island dweller
how sweet! And appropriate. :D Maybe SHE will be amir's buddy lol

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Saje said:
how sweet! And appropriate. :D Maybe SHE will be amir's buddy lol
Lol i was thinking the same thing lol. Amir alreayd loves her he will walk up to the stall in and look in and nicker at her lol. They touch noses every once in awhile its its so sweet!

S

stirder

its possible, are there any wildlife rehabilitators near you? or anywhere in Manitoba who you could call for advice on how to teach her so she'll be able to be wild? as cute as she is now, fully grown she wont fear humans, cars or dogs. she'll be able to jump a 5-6 foot fence with relative ease, and deer hooves can be like spears to the human body. deer are actually one of the most dangerous captive wild animals.
I dont mean to sound like I disagree with you caring for her. I would do it too, its just that I volounteered for the st louis area missouri wildlife rescue. I didnt do anything with the fawns, all the animals went to foster homes, so I cant help you with any tips for raising her. I volounteered and mostly raised baby birds whos parents were killed or abandoned them, a few baby rabbits, squirrels a baby fox and a baby raccoon. I did always hear about it everytime someone raised a deer and then got kicked, not because the deer wasnt gentle or sweet, just got scared by something or didnt want to be lead somewhere, accidents.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Well im not the only one who has raised a fawn around here. One of my neighbors shot a doe not knowing she had a new born fawn. he took in the fawn and raised it he tagged its ears and never caged it once it was older. It now comes and goes as it pleases. Other hunters know it is a special deer and so he has yet to be shot.

I plan on making a relfective rug for Sweetie when she is older and secure it on her and so during hunting season she too we be obviousely special. I also plan on tagging her ear.

There are wildlife rescues around here i just havent taken her. I know deer are dangerouse I have read many stories about "pet" deer killing their owners but she is'nt going to be kept here when she grows she will be free to come and go. I have been talking with the man who raised the fawn before and getting advice from him. My vet has told me she'll be fine with me or at a wild life rescue. Once she is older she will be outside full time in a covered run I own (its is a large enclosure with a top to it) and eventually start letting her out more and more and into the woods and eventually after she is tagged and tattooed I will feel less afraid of her being out on her own and spending less time with her. I plan on even pushing her away (not in a violent way but in the way a mother deer with do with a matured fawn ready for life on its own) talking her somewhere i now she is safe.
And who knows She still might go to a wildlife rescue.

S

stirder

I wasnt trying to discourage you from keeping her yourself, I was just making sure you knew what you might be in for. Many people have raised them and they did fine, but many have been hooved by them. One of the people I heard about when I was a volounteer was sitting in their kitchen video taping their newborn baby eating breakfast, to send the tape to the grandparents across country. Their Golden Retriever came through the doggie door into the kitchen and was immediately followed by a baby white tailed deer fawn. The husband went outback and found the mother with a arrow in her side, conservation agent came and guessed she had died the night before. In Missouri hunting is illegal when does may have nursing fawns but I dont know if they ever caught the poacher. Any way...they sent the fawn to a wildlife rescue foster home and it was raised by a female goat. Without any prompting or pushing from the foster mom it became more and more self reliant all the time.
Good luck!!! Got any photos?

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Understandable Stirder this is actually a good thing im taking in all can about people's experiences with these animals so actually your helping me.

Members online

No members online now.