Strange Markings

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I know we've done this before but it's still fun so what the heck. What are some cool/maybe not seen markings on your dog?

Mia has a lot.

#1 is this spot that I call her 'beauty mark'. I even forget it's there because when she's looking straight at you you can't see it. It's on the right side of her muzzle.

My Bad Dog by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

All her whiskers are white except in that spot.

2. The black spot on her side is actually brown underneath.

L20 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

3. Mia's coat is ticked throughout but it never shows up on camera for some reason.

DSC_1571 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

She's covered in spots!

DSC_1567 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

Especially along her spine:

DSC_1368 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

[/url]
DSC_1037 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

MicksMom

Caleb has some black hairs scattered around his body. As in one here, one there. There's probably as many as Mick had, but Mick's were all in one place and looked like a spot of grease.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Cobain's got a fairly unnoticeable spot on his left side.
Incidentally, it seems all his side shots are taken from his right. grr.

He doesn't have the full white ruff around his neck. But he does have a small white spot in the middle of the solid yellow on that half of his neck.

It doesn't show up the greatest in pictures, and isn't always apparent just because it's so small. It sort of in line with the white on his leg but further up the neck.
This is the only picture I can find where you can sort of see it.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Rigby's just a weirdly marked dog in general.
Since I have gotten her, the brown colouring has been slowly taking over her entire body.
Covering both the white and the black markings.
The black has also grown over the white, and her ticking has gotten much more apparent over the years.

In this shot you can see how the brown has taken over her muzzle (she used to be white much further back than her whisker line), and how it's starting to move into the black around her eyes - Which used to be solid black. It's also taking over her underside.

She's also got a single black dot on her chin, which upon taking this picture I just realized how that's changing colour as well!

Elrohwen

Watson has all sorts of cute freckles.

He has a spot on his left hip that kind of curves up. It makes me wonder about the genetics of spots, because a lot of dogs in his line, including his father, have this exact same marking, only on the left hip and never on the right.

He also has a few random white spots in his red blanket, and you can see one of them in the pic above.

The feathers on his rear legs/butt are split - the ones on the right are red, and the ones on the left are white.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I wonder if she's a creeping tan like Mia.

Mia started out with traditional tan points.

1 Day

15ish weeks

8ish months. Full tan face.

1 year

Almost 5 years:

[/url]
misa by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sekah

The Monster.
Cohen has a tiny white mismark on her right ear. You can see it pretty well here at the tip.

Other than that, colour-wise, she's pretty normal. Sanity-wise, I'm not so sure.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I wonder if she's a creeping tan like Mia.

Mia started out with traditional tan points.
It seems to look that way! It's difficult though as I have no idea how old Rigby really is. So I can't be certain it's a progressive tanning thing or if just her way of showing age and going "grey"

Either way, it's been a very interesting progression.

The contrast between 1 and 5 years with Mia is crazy! That stripe nearly disappeared!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'm waiting to see if she turns totally brown on the head like her older brothers. Though her brother Dallas still has some of that black markings on her head.

When she was young I really really wanted her to stay dark. Now that she's older of course I love her markings now.

SpringerLover

Bailey was born with a white spot on her left hip. It was very noticeable when she was a teeny tiny baby. When she came home at 8 weeks, it was already smaller. Now the only evidence I'll find is occasional white hairs there.
ermagherd! You can't see her white spot but LOOK AT HOW TINY SHE WAS!

She also has a full white collar, but not in the traditional sense!
full white collar on left side

tiny amount of white hairs to make it complete on the right

Buzz has a stripe of white over his butt! It goes from his toes, up his stifle, over his hips, and down the other side the same way!

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Violet has freckles! She has little spots on her muzzle right above her nose.

She has quite a bit of tan on her. It's around her eyes, tail, and legs mostly.

She lost a LOT of the black on her face when she got older (but not her freckles :))

And also her coat has a lot of DARK red tint to it in the sunlight but I don't think I have any pictures of that.

Chloe doesn't really have any particular markings. Just an increasingly greying muzzle which makes me sad.

This was taken at least a year ago, she's much more grey now. :,( I will try to take a picture.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I was surprised by both your girls' ticking -- you're right, it doesn't really show up in pics. It's cute :)

I don't have any picks handy, but Kim used to have a distinct white ring on her back as a puppy, and 2/3 of her tail was black on top. It was weird haha.

Webby is some sort of creeping tan, plus has white points. Chin (which is now a white/grey muzzle), neck,chest, toes, and he has the barest hint of a white tip on his tail -- maybe eight hairs.

Mira has her giant black spot way back on her tongue :)

It never photographs well and you can only see it in very bright sunlight, but Pip's big black spot on his back and his ears appear to actually be a very dark brindle. There have always been some brown hairs mixed in there, with the brown going all the way down to the skin so I don't think it's sun fading. I have the kit to get him tested for the brindle allele but haven't gotten around to sending it in.

Maisy's "tan" points are brindle, which gets overlooked a lot but I guess it isn't as obvious on her face as it is on her legs. She also has wee white spots on her back toes, and has some lighter undercoat around her neck that you can kind of see in this picture.

Squashie's ears. Most people don't noticed the spots and speckles right away, if ever.

Left:

Right:

Definitely the spots have gotten darker and more numerous over time. It's hard to see, but on his left ear the margins along the tip are almost getting outlined, and there are a couple of different shades of tan. This picture was taken between 1-2 years old and you can see how much less distinct they are.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Squash has adorable ears!

I was surprised by both your girls' ticking -- you're right, it doesn't really show up in pics. It's cute :)
I've had so many people ask after I post videos too.

Oh yeah, you were the one that noticed Mia's brown ticking on her legs in real life too, weren't you?

I was trying to find a photo but it's so hard to see or she's covered in mud!

You can kinda see her back foot here.

DSC_1367 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

She's definitely gotten more since then.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Loving seeing markings I've never noticed before on Chaz dogs! :D

I've always loved Millie's paw. All her paws have slight white markings, but one is fully white with black spots.

Also, her eyebrows. She started going gray pretty early, and the first to start turning white was her eyebrows.

And I can't get a picture, but Millie was born with a fully white tail tip. It's receded to not being visible unless you make a point to look- and it's only a few hairs. Those three hairs have been growing back for the last 12 years.

Fable. . .does her nose count? :D
The vet kept making comments about the little bit of pink on on her nose would "freckle in." Nope. The pink spread and I think it's adorbs.

She has lots of scattered white hairs, which you can see here on her head:

I haven't been able to capture it in photos, but she has a ruff over her shoulders of longer fur, which also has a lot of white and is more noticeable since it's against the black part of her body.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlins mysterious merling has been discussed at length lol his butt mark I see a perched bird

and on the other side I see a wizard or a man tipping his top hat

one of his legs is more dark than the other lol

loving all the freckles in this thread!!

Members online