The Venting Thread

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I really want to own an African gray parrot and have been really interested in wanting a bird lately, but I'm a bit afraid of birds. My parents had a bird when I was growing up that kept trying to bite me. We have a a blue front amazon or whatever at work and I'm at the top of his hit list and he chased me out of a room the other day. So... Ya I'm a little afraid of getting bit by a bird. But yet I still want a gray.

How do I get past my fear?

Ugh. Real world problems.
I would start finding some friendly birds that you can regularly handle. I used to be not used to handling or interacting with birds, but my bosses at work have 10 or so between them, plus we get some into work regularly. I can handle our pair of Pionus and Umbrella Cockatoo just fine, and am working on being friends with a unfriendly Pionus.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I really want to own an African gray parrot and have been really interested in wanting a bird lately, but I'm a bit afraid of birds. My parents had a bird when I was growing up that kept trying to bite me. We have a a blue front amazon or whatever at work and I'm at the top of his hit list and he chased me out of a room the other day. So... Ya I'm a little afraid of getting bit by a bird. But yet I still want a gray.

The only way to get passed it is to hang out with some birds really. I mean your fear isn't unwarranted, they are like toddlers with beaks that can take a finger but like dogs, birds that like someone won't use their mouths to harm.

I won't go into it but just.. large birds are enormous time and money (expensive bird, expensive cage, expensive food, expensive vet bills) and life commitment. They are so much more than pets.. it's really like having a child. A child with EXTENSIVE dietary, socialization and interaction needs. And a child that can scream loud enough to be heard a mile away.. usually at the crack of dawn. Grey's that don't get enough time out, enough stimulation, enough attention..will scream and will self mutilate and lash out.

Our cockatoo can TELL when people are hesitant/scared of him. and he makes judgements and just straight up doesn't like certain people and tests his boundaries.. like a toddler. Even with us. He throws tantrums and it's important to be 100% confident with him or else he will continue to use his beak to get what he wants.

Like dogs, just remember.. they CAN but they usually won't use their mouths to harm.

Don't watch them eat carrots.

Oh and it's african grey*

They can make amazing companions :) I would start with bird rescues, zoo, pet stores, youtube videos.. check out some birds that are good with people, and get an idea of what they are like

Grab

Are there any bird specialty stores nearby? They usually have frequently handled birds that are pretty gentle. The store I got my grey from (all 19 years ago, lol) was always welcoming to people coming in, learning about birds, spending time with them, etc.

My grey is a devil, though. But he's moderately evil

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I am being told I will have to go out of province for training for work in two weeks, and I can't find anyone to watch Simi for me while I am gone. Not even my mother or sister! COME ON, PEOPLE. My dog isn't THAT bad! lol

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Yup, I'll be Halifax bound that weekend. Penn& I are hunting quail. LOL.
Enjoy ..there's not much to see. NB is a much better place than Haliworld. Although, I will gladly crate my dog& take you all out dancing if that is what you feel like doing LOL!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Somewhere near our property they are doing some kind of weird blasting, it scared the crap out of me when I was running earlier today & it's been going on all afternoon & just now stopped even though its been dark for a couple of hours now.

Yeah ... That's why I bought property out in the middle of BFE so I can be disturbed by ****ing explosions ... :wall:

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Yup, I'll be Halifax bound that weekend. Penn& I are hunting quail. LOL.
Enjoy ..there's not much to see. NB is a much better place than Haliworld. Although, I will gladly crate my dog& take you all out dancing if that is what you feel like doing LOL!
LOL Thank you for the offer but we will only be there monday to Friday. Leave monday morning, be home Friday afternoon/evening, I believe.

Hunting quail sounds much more fun. :p

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Oh well then I will not run into you guys at all! In which case, enjoy ..do the public gardens, museum of natural history (seriously. If you have 5 minutes to spare, spend it here!!!!), Your Fathers Moustache is also a 100% must& Il Mercato is expensive Italian but worth every penny!

Saeleofu

I got a cooling pad for my laptop, but it doesn't help. I'm pretty sure it's going back to the store tomorrow. My laptop is running at 66C, and around that point it start to get REALLLLYYYYYYY slow. Like...it takes 10 minutes to do ANYTHING. Ugh. I can get a replacement fan for $13 but I don't know if I can safely open my case and replace it, since my case is borked and held together with duct tape.

I swear, next time I WILL get the 3 year warranty!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I got a cooling pad for my laptop, but it doesn't help. I'm pretty sure it's going back to the store tomorrow. My laptop is running at 66C, and around that point it start to get REALLLLYYYYYYY slow. Like...it takes 10 minutes to do ANYTHING. Ugh.

I can get a replacement fan for $13 but I don't know if I can safely open my case and replace it, since my case is borked and held together with duct tape.

I swear, next time I WILL get the 3 year warranty!
I think that at that point I would cut my losses & just get a new one, you could put it on lay away & pay on it that way.

I feel you, I had a reeeeeally old computer many, many moons ago with the old tube-style monitor ... the computer itself was fine but the monitor started going out & by that time all that could be found was flat screens ... which my dino computer was not compatible with.

So I put a new computer (the cheapest I could find for what I needed) & paid on it gradually & prayed I could pay it off before my old monitor kicked it completely.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Yes, she says she's very sad and needs lots of touching.

I will give her that. Girl knows how to work it to her advantage.

If it were just her weight, it wouldn't be so bad, but she just... feels and looks like crap. *sigh* Hopefully I'll get some news tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.