When to feed senior food?

As you all know we have 2 yorkie boys believed to be 8 years old... I am getting alot of great feedback on food based on them not having many teeth but there is some discrepancies on if they should have senior food. We were told they both could stand to gain a couple pounds since when you pet them you can feel their ribs/spines. Any thoughts?

Hmmm . . . normally they would be ready for senior food, but since they are underweight there might be a difference. Mordy would have the best answer on this one, I think.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i would not feed a healthy dog senior food at all.

the reasoning behind this is that most senior foods are just drastically reduced in protein and fat, which are the two most important things a dog needs in the diet. older dogs with a slower metabolism have to work harder at extracting nutrients, so decreasing important ones is not something that supports their health. if the dog is rather inactive, reducing the overall amount fed daily by a little bit is the better way to go.

that being said, there are a few senior foods on the market now that really are improved for the specific needs of older dogs and not just reduced in calories. these foods have a higher protein content and a reduced amount of fat (but with an increased amount of essential fatty acids) and are often formulated with lower levels of phosphorus to take stress off the kidneys. one of these is eagle pack senior care.

as for when is a dog considered a senior?

that depends on a number of things, breed and genetics first and foremost. a large or giant breed like a great dane or mastiff could be considered a senior at age 6 since they don't have a very long lifespan to begin with, 10 years being on the high end of the scale already.

small dogs often have a life expectancy of 15+ years, so 6 years isn't even a "halfway mark" for them yet.

i do not agree with the arbitrary labeling of dogs as seniors which is mainly perpetuated by the pet food industry giants like hill's, purina etc. their only goal is to sell you yet another "specialized" product and in the case of senior food (reduced protein/fat, increased carbs) that means a greater profit margin for them.

my own great dane lived to be over 11 years old and ate regular adult food all his life. my wirehaired dachshund will be 13 1/2 in march and also does not eat senior food, in fact i was able to convince my mom (whom she lives with now) to switch her to a mostly raw diet with lots of meaty bones.

Thanks for the input, Mordy. By the way, which foods, besides the Eagle Pack that you mentioned, really are properly formulated to support the older, less active dog?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
the only ones that immediately come to mind are eagle pack senior and royal canin natural blend senior. overall i'd say of the more well known "big names" on the pet food market, royal canin generally has the best idea about proper senior food.

generally i'd look for something that has a higher amount of protein than the mainstream adult foods (about 21-24%) but a lower ratio of fat (12%-15% in adult foods).

Mordy

Quigleyfied
candy, that doesn't make sense, since there are so many different breeds which all age at different rates. it's just as much of a stupid blanket statement as "one human year is 7 dog years".

Candy, a lot of that kind of silly information gets put in our heads by marketing departments. Have you noticed that most senior dog foods are more expensive than the regular formulas? A company can sell a lot more of the higher priced food if they can convince you that your dog is officially senior at such a young age.

I get irritated every time I see that commercial put out by a large manufacturer of killer dog food that says "We're for dogs." Talk about misleading propaganda!

Thanks everyone... I'm guessing my boys aren't seniors yet.. They are both yorkies and it is guessed that they are around 6 to 8 which if they live to be 15 would definitely not make them seniors in my book.

Debi

Mordy, thanks. I've read many times that there is no need for a specific 'senior' food......that it is a marketing scam. So much info......so much to learn. I wonder.......if you have your dog on a diet that is really sound........does age really have all that much to do with anything? So....maybe you'd cut back a bit..due to inactivity (as people do)?? I know that Addie seems to put on weight in the winter......so I cut back to absolute lean meat, etc.......wouldn't you just do that for a senior dog? Is that what 'senior' food does....cuts back on fat/caloric content or something? (I know.....tooooo many ? here....I get so lost on nutrition) If this has already been said...so sorry, I've been a bit busy, and may have not read every post. :eek:

Mordy

Quigleyfied
debi, cutting back makes sense in some areas. for example, fat supplies 2 1/4 times as many calories per weight unit than protein and carbohydrates do, and it is mainly a source of energy. a low-energy animal does not need as much fat.

protein, however, is required to maintain and repair body cells, and aging dogs often have trouble extracting much needed nutrients from the food - that's why many older dogs can be very thin. a higher amount of easily digestible protein is a good thing.

what most commercial pet foods do is cut back drastically on both protein and fat, leaving the dog with carbohydrates, which supply energy but do nothing for maintaining the body. the result is often an older dog who is somewhat overweight but has a poor skin and coat and shows other signs of poor diet.

Debi

Thanks Mordy!! :D I actually understood that.....there is hope for me yet. Sometimes I get a bit confused reading everything out there. Your posts are GREAT.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
well, i'm glad to be of help. :) do feel free to point out anything in my posts that you don't understand, sometimes i have a tendency to get a bit more technical than really necessary. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.