FAtty tumours

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
A lady at the dog park looked at the one on Mary's side (the one my mother tells Mary that a puppy is in it) and told me about her dog's tumour and how it ruptured. SHe said it was awful and messy but the vet said it was not serious. I look at the one on Mary's side and pray that it doesn't. I cant begin to imagine. Has that happened to anyone here? Mary is more lumps and bumps then not on her stomach and the one on her side is huge.

F

FluffyZooCrew

Yes, my mother's dachshund, who is now 17, had one on her stomach, below her chest. It was there for years, and it did burst one day. It was disgusting, and ended up getting extremely infected afterwards, and required a vet stay and some antibiotics.

So yes, they can burst.

bubbatd

Basically , whether it opens on it's own or is removed ,the treatment is the same . At Mary's age, I'd let nature take it's course .

T

tessa_s212

Dogy had a very massive fatty tumor on her side. Grew to the size of a baseball. If they stay fairly small, they aren't a great concern, but we usually always have them surgically removed anyway.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Good Lord i hope it doesn't. It is enormous, easily the size of a grapefruit. Everyone comments on it when we go to the dog park. WHat is that? Does it hurt her? Is it cancer? They can't see the dozen or more she has on her belly. SHe is my lumpy bumpy woman now. SHe saw the vet a couple weeks ago when i took everyone in for their shots and got ear meds for her. He didn't say anything about it so i guess he wasn't concerned.

F

FluffyZooCrew

Yikes, that's big. My mom's dog's was the size of a golf ball when it burst. Size of a grapefruit sounds worrisome.

MH<3dogs

My old girl Midnite has very large ones on her sides and I always pray they don't open up. All of them are just fatty tumors and because of her age I won't have them removed. She has many on her belly too. Don't really like giving her belly rubs anymore because of it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I tell mary if they were squeekers i could make music with her. Midnight and Mary must be two of a kind. Some of Mary's nipples point this way and that way because of them. How old is midnight?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
That's getting up there. A new member of the Chazhound Geriatric club! I think they should have warm sunny porch meetings and be served flavored waters ;). WE will cross our fingers that this never happens to either of our dogs. I look at Mary's big one and just shudder at the thought.

Members online