No bark breed

colliekid

I love collies!
When I start living in an apartment, I plan to own a dog (this will be a while as in 4 years+) what dog breed rarely barks? I heard siberian huskies don't bark a lot, what else?

colliekid

I love collies!
Yeah, they make a strange sound (don't remember how to describe it)
Oh, and I would prefer a medium (such as a Basenji) to a large (malamute sized) dog

luvmydogs

i think every dog barks every now and then.i dont understand how some people would tell u-for example- because u live in an apt. that your dog cant bark. cant avoid it. not tryin to be a smart ass..but why not get a cat then ? :p ;) if u get a dog as a pup, u can teach him/her not to bark...

magnum just dont shut up!!!!!!

Melissa_W

Don't get a sheltie, that's for sure. :D

I think that St. Bernards aren't real big barkers.

moe

Colliekid, dont let anyone fool you saying siberians dont bark, I have many friends with them, and they can raise hell if they want to, in fact they are a lot noisier than my malamutes, that although dont bark often, they can howl the clouds down on a good day lol

Mo

Basenjis dont bark as such, they kind of yodel. My daughters ex had 2 and they were a HANDFUL though in other ways, so you might find the barking issue easier to deal with!!!

M

Manchesters

Basenjis

Adrienne said:
Basenji's are not mute but their breed characteristic states that they shouldn't bark.
You DO NOT want a Basenji, trust me on this. They are more of a "breeders/exhibitor's breed". Not for the pet owners of this country, roflmbo. And please.......all the obedience fiends can just not bother to respond, unless they have personally known and worked with a large number of Basenjis! Because otherwise you have no clue what you are up against!!!!!!

Yes, I have known folks with this breed. Jimmy Philips and his wife had many top Basenjis and loved the breed with all their hearts. But they knew what they were dealing with!!!!!

The breed does not bark, but it makes as much noise as any other breed.

joce

My husky doens't bark but she kinda yodels and it is often worse than a bark. She'll do it for a long time too. I can't really think of somehting that doesn't bark a lot! Ourlabs never barked but the ones I took in a couple months ago bark all the time. I'm sure you could find an adult dog that doesn't bark a lot from a shelter or something.

OC and Ronin never bark except for on command. They do wooo wooo when we come home but it's a lot more pleasant to listen to than a bark. Multiple sibes tend to create a ruckus as they talk back and forth and if one picks up a how; the rest automatically chime in. Just one lone sibe thuogh tends to be quiet - which is partially why we chose this breed. Soooooooooo quiet!

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I've trained a load of basenji's, great little dogs. But, although they don't bark they sure as hell make a noise! I'd liken it to the weird vocalisations that siamese cats love to do all day.
I've met alot of people with basenjis as pets, and they usually call me in for escaping problems. They are great climbers. They are also very fastidious cleaners, they lick themselves all over just like cats! They really are unique dogs. All of the poeple I have met love them to bits, and usually have multiple basenjis.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Don't get a basenji. Just don't. Yeah, they don't bark, but they make a ton of other noises which are just about as bad and may even get the cops called on you. They can sound just like a woman screaming and "Basenji noises" aren't the first thing most people will think of. Worst case senario, yes, but there are odd people out there.

I personally, and this is solely my opinion, despise this breed and usually have issues with the people who own them as well.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Boxers aren't big barkers that I know of. I don't think bully breeds are big barkers.

Great Pyrenees' in my experience don't ever bark. But I mean, all dogs bark.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've heard a GP bark once, but it was for a darn good reason. Dark night and something shifty in the woods was coming closer. Very deep and commanding bark I might add. But yeah, they're generally quiet.

BigDog2191 said:
Boxers aren't big barkers that I know of. I don't think bully breeds are big barkers.

Great Pyrenees' in my experience don't ever bark. But I mean, all dogs bark.
I have had 3 Boxers, none of whom were barkers. I now have a Bulldog and she is not a barker either. Perhaps there is some truth in that.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Just some input on the noise Basenjis make: If they voice their "opinion" on something they do not like, it sounds like a mixture of a cat screeching, a woman screaming and a car crash.
I had a 'Senji for a little while, I found her on the side of the road, and while she was a really sweet little dog, "Quiet" is the LAST word I would use to describe her - I'd rather have listened to a normal dog barking than that horrid noise.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Rip's Girl said:
it sounds like a mixture of a cat screeching, a woman screaming and a car crash
rofl that's a great description! :D

dogs less likely to bark? hmm, as a very general rule, stay away from herding breeds, most terriers and hounds (baying/howling).

Members online