The Leash

canadaone

Hi. I have found puppy seems to dislike his leash, meaning he grabs onto it with his teeth trying to lead himself. What is this all about? What can be done about it? He alkso seems to love to chew on his license, although he has lots of chew toys. And while I am at it, does the word NO really mean anything to a puppy? I think I have said it a thousand times!

milos_mommy

Is he trying to take the leash off, or just "walk himself"? Puppies try and walk themselves. They like to hold onto things. Let him drag it around (supervised) if he doesn't like it. If he's just holding it, try giving him another soft toy to carry while you walk.

Keep his tags/collar/leash out of reach when it's not on him, that way he can't chew it.

And "NO" doesn't mean anything to a puppy unless you stop them from doing what they're doing and redirect them. If he's chewing your shoe and you say "no" then it doesn't mean anything. If you say "no", pick him up, take the shoe away, and give him a chew toy, then it means "no, stop doing what you're doing, and do something else."

lizzybeth727

^^^^I agree.

I never say "no" to my dog (well, not as a command I expect her to know). I think it's too vague - it's better to tell your dog what TO do, rather than what NOT to do. If he's getting into something he's not supposed to, you can teach him "leave it" or call him to you. You can redirect his attention, or interrupt the unwanted behavior and put him in time-out. Always let him know when he's doing the right thing, try to pay more attention to good behaviors than bad behaviors.

Leave-it is a great command. It works on all kinds of things. Leave-it will work with the leash pulling too. Molly likes to pick up sticks and pine cones when we are walking.

It's not a good idea to try to walk the puppy while he is pulling on the leash. This will just teach him to pull against you during the walk. It is important to teach your puppy to walk on a loose leash. Have you started puppy classes yet? How old is your puppy?

Members online

No members online now.