Xoloitzcuintli

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
This is a breed I'm seriously interested in oddly enough. I don't typically go for the whole hairless thing, but while there are some awful looking Xolos there are some really nice looking ones too.

From what I'm reading on their temperament they sound SO much like Cricket.

I don't have plans to get another dog now or even for a while... I do like learning more about different breeds to see what does and doesn't fit what I would possibly want in a dog.

So what do you know about Xolos?

Grab

A client has had xolos for years..at one time she had four..most elderly. Over time, they sadly passed. However, she just recently adopted a new little one :) She had the toy and midsize.

Having not lived with them, I can't speak on what they're like on a daily basis. However, hers have always been very low key, friendly, and accepting of all treatment. Her current girl came from a rescue (taken from a hoarding situation, I think) and she's a little more reserved, but still a very nice dog :)

As a complete aside, she has what is possibly the most adorable Chinese Crested as well.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
There are coated Xolos... so if the whole hairless thing is not your preference, you may be able to get a coated one! :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
There are coated Xolos... so if the whole hairless thing is not your preference, you may be able to get a coated one! :)
Haha I think I have you to thank partially for my interest in this breed. For one thing I've had quite a few people out here ask me if Cricket is a Xolo or saying she looks like one of those Mexican hairless dogs but with hair. Looking at some Xolo pics I can totally see where they might get that idea though I'm a little surprised anyone around these parts would even know what a Xolo is. Then you mentioned on Facebook about Xolo's probable involvement in the street dog population in Mexico and it got me wondering about them.

I looked online and most of the sites I found mentioned that you won't find a hairless Xolo on the streets because of how important the hairless Xolos are to them. But.... The question in my mind is what about the coated ones? I wonder since they favor the hairless Xolos if there's the possibility that a good number of coated ones end up on the streets contributing more Xolo DNA into the street dog population. I really am starting to wonder if Cricket has some Xolo in her. She has a very similar temperament from what I'm reading and she has some similar features.

Here's a Xolo pic I found that I think is gorgeous. I seriously see physical similarities as well. Cricket has the erect ears, wedge head, muzzle slightly longer, similar build though Cricket is a little more sighthoundy/whippet-like in her build, but then I've found Xolo pics where they are built that way too...

I know Cricket's genetic makeup will always be a mystery, but it sure is intriguing to speculate.

One thing is for sure, if temperament wise these dogs are anything like Cricket then I know I'm going to want them on my must have one day list.

Two more pics from a Google search

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I researched and wrote an article on Xolos. I'll see if I can find it and send it to you if you want :)
Awesome thank you. I think you emailed it to me a while back ago when you had mentioned a while back about Cricket looking like she could have some throwback Xolo DNA in her... But I can't find the article in my email box.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
X-dog is amazing. Denis, my boyfriend, is totally freaked by hairless animals but even he loves her. She's super smart, hilarious to watch/interact with, and interestingly quirky.

I do though have Ana to thank for talking me out of the breed.

They are very hard to train, stubborn, and wouldn't suit my desire for a sport dog. They seem more catlike in many ways and a lot of that is based on their breeding in a more survival sort of sense than breeding for any sort of goal.

Then you mentioned on Facebook about Xolo's probable involvement in the street dog population in Mexico and it got me wondering about them.

I looked online and most of the sites I found mentioned that you won't find a hairless Xolo on the streets because of how important the hairless Xolos are to them. But.... The question in my mind is what about the coated ones? I wonder since they favor the hairless Xolos if there's the possibility that a good number of coated ones end up on the streets contributing more Xolo DNA into the street dog population. I really am starting to wonder if Cricket has some Xolo in her. She has a very similar temperament from what I'm reading and she has some similar features.
I can tell you there's a chance that even if it wasn't from an actual xolo dumped into streets,the thing is that many latin american countries many people let their dogs to do whatever they please in the streets (mostly for a stroll or pee) and later they call them to return home, this kind aren't street/feral dogs but house dogs wit more "liberty"

In many cases they do mate wit street/feral dogs even their owners are proud to see this :(, sadly there's a huge change from the house dogs the get diseases from the others even sexual ones since feral dogs mate all the time they have a chance wit many dogs and obviously they had never being in a vet.

You see, my neighbor had a weimaraner and they let him wandering the streets and many times he ran into a feral bitch in heat and of course he couldn't say never no. :(

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I've talked to Xolo people that says that the "street dogs" of Mexico are either Xolos or Xolo mixes. At the very least, they share a similar gene pool and are very close "cousins" of each other.

This is an interesting link, that shows how Xolos and our Mexidogs are most likely extremely close relatives.... though they were probably the same "breed" back in ancient times. http://www.gomanzanillo.com/features/dog/index.htm

Modern day breeding practices do have a tendency of taking one piece of a population and isolating it, leading to one type of animal evolving into several different types... and who's to say which type is more correct or true to history? ;)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I've met two. One was at a dog show and was the most skittish dog I've ever seen. I felt so bad for her and made sure to ask the owner where she came from, just so that I could make sure never to get one from their lines. It could've been the environment, but the poor thing wanted nothing more than to melt into the floor.

There is one who comes into my work all the time. He's a rescue and OMFG, I would steal him in a heartbeat. Super social with everyone/everything, jumps like a freaking ninja, and is super food motivated.

I would totally own a hairless dog someday, I love the way they feel!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I've talked to Xolo people that says that the "street dogs" of Mexico are either Xolos or Xolo mixes. At the very least, they share a similar gene pool and are very close "cousins" of each other.

This is an interesting link, that shows how Xolos and our Mexidogs are most likely extremely close relatives.... though they were probably the same "breed" back in ancient times. http://www.gomanzanillo.com/features/dog/index.htm

Modern day breeding practices do have a tendency of taking one piece of a population and isolating it, leading to one type of animal evolving into several different types... and who's to say which type is more correct or true to history? ;)
Ok that is an awesome link!!!!! Really enjoyed reading that.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I've met two. One was at a dog show and was the most skittish dog I've ever seen. I felt so bad for her and made sure to ask the owner where she came from, just so that I could make sure never to get one from their lines. It could've been the environment, but the poor thing wanted nothing more than to melt into the floor.

There is one who comes into my work all the time. He's a rescue and OMFG, I would steal him in a heartbeat. Super social with everyone/everything, jumps like a freaking ninja, and is super food motivated.

I would totally own a hairless dog someday, I love the way they feel!
Ok I have to ask... How exactly do they feel? I've never met a hairless one in person. I'd love to meet one.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Ok I have to ask... How exactly do they feel? I've never met a hairless one in person. I'd love to meet one.
The one that comes into work feels basically like a shaved leg that has dry skin, lol. But tougher. Kinda rubbery feeling.

crazedACD

I've never met a xolo, or PIO, but I think they are very cool dogs. What kind of dog are they considered? Terrier type maybe?

I've met plenty of Cresteds and some American Hairless Terriers.

Aleron

I've been around a few Xolos here and there but can't really offer much in the way of how they'd be to live with or train. I would think they wouldn't be extremely biddable dogs due to their background but I could be wrong. You'd probably want to try to track down anyone who does stuff with them and try to talk to them about what they are like to train.

I've met two. One was at a dog show and was the most skittish dog I've ever seen. I felt so bad for her and made sure to ask the owner where she came from, just so that I could make sure never to get one from their lines.
I don't think judging a breeder's entire line because you met one dog with a poor temperament from them is really fair. If you dismissed every breeder who you have met one less than ideal dog from, there wouldn't be any breeder left to go to. Digs are living creatures and while you can do your best to produce dogs with correct temperament, good health and long lifespans it is impossible to produce nothing but ideal individuals in every litter.

Members online

No members online now.