Training book question

Do any of you have favorite books on natural dog training? My puppy is just 3 weeks old, but I would like to read up now. I had instruction from a really good trainer for my last puppy. I will use his methods, but he has moved. I would like to learn more.

Do any of you have favorite books on natural dog training? My puppy is just 3 weeks old, but I would like to read up now. I had instruction from a really good trainer for my last puppy. I will use his methods, but he has moved. I would like to learn more.
It depends what you mean by natural dog training. There are some fantastic books out there, can you narrow down what you're looking for?:)

Yes. I want something using more modern, gentler methods than Kohler's, which is the old way of putting a choke collar on the dog and making him do what you want. Something that uses puppy psychology over force, although I'm not opposed to discipline. Any suggestions are welcome. Is John Fisher's book any good? If you know some "fantastic books", I'm interested!;)

Last edited:

bubbatd

I would start with " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " ...Reutherford and Neil .... then go from there .

Maxy24

my absolute favorite book, as recommended by other chazhound members is "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, I have the second edition and I'm not sure how it is different from the first or which is better, someone else could probably tell you that. You should definitely get it!

Thank you, I am getting the 2 books suggested in this thread, plus "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor. Hopefully I'll learn a lot of new tricks. ;)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Don't Shoot the Dog by Karon Pryor (pretty dry, but good nonetheless)
The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell (more theory than anything, but still an excellent read into body language)
The Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller (I'm in the middle of this book now and I love it)
Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson (on my order list, but heard wonderful things about it)

Melissa_W

Don't Shoot the Dog by Karon Pryor (pretty dry, but good nonetheless)
The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell (more theory than anything, but still an excellent read into body language)
The Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller (I'm in the middle of this book now and I love it)
Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson (on my order list, but heard wonderful things about it)
Yep, I've read all of those except TPPDT, and I just ordered that one. I would start with Culture Clash, but that's just me. They are all really good.

Purely Positive Training out of print?

It looks like I want "Purely Positive Training" by Sheila Booth. My question: Is the book that is for sale at Dogwise and some of the other websites for $27.95 the same as the one that Amazon.com and some of the used book stores claim is "out of print" and are asking $50-$125 for? Is the $27.95 copy the one I want? :confused:

Doberluv

Get Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. If anyone understands how dogs think and learn, their behavior, it is she. She covers it all. After that, get some other books. This book is fantastic and I wish I had read it a long time ago.

Also, I like Ian Dunbar and his book, Before and After Getting Your New Puppy. Easy read and excellent, positive information. Congratulations on your new puppy!

Thanks so much for the advice on the books! To start with, I got "The Culture Clash", "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With", and "Don't Shoot The Dog". I also downloaded Ian Dunbar's free book, "Before you get your puppy". I didn't get Sheila Booth's book yet, as I haven't even finished the new ones I got, yet. Amber is now 10 weeks old, and learning well. These are the best training methods! I never dreamed you could teach a dog not to beg at the table by feeding her! I started out working with the whole litter as suggested in two of the books. Annabelle went to her new home at 7 weeks,everyone loves her, and we waited until 9 weeks to send Murphy home because his new folks have small kids. I talked to his new owner yesterday, and in a week, he hasn't had one single "accident" in the house! Our mamma dog even benefits from these training methods. She was always belligerent about being made to lie down, and now she is on her way to doing it willingly! I could go on and on..... Anyone who is still stuck on the old methods needs to look at positive training. Thanks again!

sam

Thanks so much for the advice on the books! To start with, I got "The Culture Clash", "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With", and "Don't Shoot The Dog". I also downloaded Ian Dunbar's free book, "Before you get your puppy". I didn't get Sheila Booth's book yet, as I haven't even finished the new ones I got, yet. Amber is now 10 weeks old, and learning well. These are the best training methods! I never dreamed you could teach a dog not to beg at the table by feeding her! I started out working with the whole litter as suggested in two of the books. Annabelle went to her new home at 7 weeks,everyone loves her, and we waited until 9 weeks to send Murphy home because his new folks have small kids. I talked to his new owner yesterday, and in a week, he hasn't had one single "accident" in the house! Our mamma dog even benefits from these training methods. She was always belligerent about being made to lie down, and now she is on her way to doing it willingly! I could go on and on..... Anyone who is still stuck on the old methods needs to look at positive training. Thanks again!
3 awesome books. You're off to a great start! I wish I had read those books when I got my first dog-- would have saved so much frustration.

bubbatd

I wish that every breeder and soon to be owners would have " How to Raise ..etc " Those first 8 weeks are SO important !!!

Our puppy is so wonderful and such a little lady at only 11 weeks old! We will start her on tracking soon, and it is so nice to have her already mostly obedient. She even comes when she is called, which to me is the very most important thing! ( The great recall training with a shaker can, I learned from our dog trainer neighbor who helped with our mamma dog. I wish he still lived here, he showed us about the positive training methods.) She also sits, and is so proud to lie down for praise or a treat! Should I put this information in an new thread so more people will see it?

I would start with " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " ...Reutherford and Neil .... then go from there .
This is the most wonderful book on dog training I have ever read. I have other helpful books, too, but when I am having a problem, I nearly always find the answer here. Amber is 4 months old now, and a pleasure to live with! Also the new training methods I have learned have done wonders for my other dogs, especially Amber's Mom, who never responded well to the old methods. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Members online

No members online now.