Trick of the week: Rollover!

SaraB

It's that time of the year again, time for Trick of the Week!! Get out your clickers, dust off your treat bags and get training!

This week we are going to do Rollover. Now if you are groaning and saying what a lame trick, you are just a sad person that needs to step outside of the box.

Here are your options!
1. Classic Rollover
2. Multiple Rollovers, these can be the same direction or in back and forth directions.
3. Distance Rollovers, how far away can you be and get your dog to rollover? Better yet, can you get your dog to drop and roll while they are running? STOP, DROP and ROLL!!
4. Simultaneous Rollovers, can you and your dog rollover at the same time?
5. Burrito Rollover, teach your dog to rollover while holding a blanket so they can stay nice and toasty warm this winter. Who doesn't love a doggy burrito!?

Why should you teach this? Great warm up exercise that loosens up their back muscles. Also a great trick to introduce multiples and distance too! And because it's freaking adorable.

Ready... set... go!!

I'm excited for this! I find it really funny you picked rollover too because I was literally just shaping that. I've never worked on this trick before so I'm happy this thread is here to push me!

Love having these back!

So far Traveler is tossing himself on his side part of the time with dramatic head tossing and Didgie thinks she should just have to hit me with her paws while screaming.

We are out of practice.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Yes yes yes, I was just thinking about sending a pm saying we needed to do this again! Feist already rolls over all the time on her own, so this should be do able. :)

I want to do the burrito roll over. I started it a while back but never got anywhere with it.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia and summer both roll over already but Mia usually spins then rolls over so maybe we could fix that. She also gets stuck mid-roll often.

SaraB

YAY! I was just thinking that I needed to up my trick training again because it's cold here now :p
Right?! I haven't done any trick training during the summer, I always save it for winter time. I have a huge to-do list though now because of it.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Right?! I haven't done any trick training during the summer, I always save it for winter time. I have a huge to-do list though now because of it.
Seriously! I've done some stuff with Jari (mostly things that involve rear end awareness) but it's all been in the name of other training. He hasn't really learned a trick for the sake of learning a trick yet :)

Dagwall

Hmm... Already have rollover trained. He can go left, right, or any combo of multiple rolls. I guess the next step would be getting a rollover from a distance, that will be a challenge. Took quite an effort to get him to sit, down, stand from a distance and he'll still scoot closer a bit with each command when we do distance work.

Guess I'll add this to our list of things we're currently working on.

Sekah

The Monster.
Yay trick of the week! With it being dark by the time I get home from work, you're absolutely right about winter being the time of year for tricks.

I started working on Cohen rolling herself up in a blanket. I'm such a bad dog trainer. We had success right off the bat, but then things got complicated and I got frustrated. :p Cohen has a roll over cue, she has a "hold this item" cue + good duration, but she has also been heavily rewarded for offering bowing/crawling backwards/sitting pretty with something in her mouth. Needless to say, the towel ended up on the opposite side of the room many, many times.

My goal by the end of this is to cue my dog to the mat from 6+ feet away and on hearing "burrito" she'll roll herself up in it (possibly with bonus laying her head down on the ground between her paws). Will see how we do!

k9krazee

A video after Crossbone's third Burrito training meal (dinner last night, breakfast this morning & the vid was taken dinner tonight). He had somewhat of a rollover to start - I've never put it on cue, he just randomly offers it sometimes.

[YOUTUBE]rXx2KxrF0Rg[/YOUTUBE]

k9krazee

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
A video after Crossbone's third Burrito training meal (dinner last night, breakfast this morning & the vid was taken dinner tonight). He had somewhat of a rollover to start - I've never put it on cue, he just randomly offers it sometimes.

He says, "hey! I could roll over all the way if this chair wasn't here!!"

Haha he's so cute! And I love the woo woo's in the background!
OMG Crossbone is SO CUTE. He's totally getting the trick :D

Jari is just a brat. He kept positioning himself near the table and would therefore roll in to it. The initial noise was from Bubby LOL. She is also a brat and was expressing her displeasure that Jari was getting worked and she had to be in the crate.

Sekah

The Monster.

Oh man, Crossbone is so spunky it's adorable. Love it! Would totally steal him.

Here's my progression with Cohen so far. We're still babysitting the behaviour a bunch, but progress! I think I need a bigger tortilla.

[YOUTUBE]qkEMmb-4Zt4[/YOUTUBE]

k9krazee

Cohen is so sweet and methodical!!!! Everything Crossbone does starts out as SPAZ and we spend the rest of the time cleaning it up.

Members online