Slumber Birthday party planning for 11 year old girl..HELP!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I need to plan a birthday party for an 11 year old girl.

shes super shy and doesn't want to really make requests, I keep asking her what kind of stuff she would like and she just says "whatever is easiest for you, its nice enough to let us use your house" its like ughhh help me out here! lol

the party is small, there are about 10 girls coming

so far all ive got as far as a checklist is...

- invitations
- party food (popcorn, chips, pizza all night) and then Im gonna make pancakes and french toast in the morning for them
- cake of course lol
- plates, forks, cups
- party favors (streamers, lamps, etc..)
- goodie bags
- balloons
- blankets/pillows

I decided on a really fun theme.. SLUMBER PARTY :)

I already bought plenty of makeup for the 10 girls, hair stuff, nailpolish, etc...

The party is happening next weekend, so ive gotta get busy!

my mom is out of the country so left me totally in charge, and im so nervous! ive never hosted a slumber party before for kids

my brothers are coming over to help me clear out the whole living room. Im gonna take out the couches and tables and set up plenty of blankets and pillows!

do you think that kind of room is ok for them all to sleep and stuff?
We r gonna use the projector to watch movies and I got a great kareoki game for the wii with plenty of girly songs (taylor swift, hannah montana etc..)

Ok so HELP..

1st of all.. activities! other than makeovers and movies, I have no idea how to occupy these kids lol any ideas?

2nd..so do you think blankets n pillows are Ok for sleeping or should I try to get inflatable mattresses or something..?

3rd.. the parents. do you think I should get in touch with all of them. I dont want to run into any trouble with kids with allergies, etc.. and i want them to know that im the only "adult" watching their kids. and Id like to get all their numbers just in case

Goodie bags. what do you think I should put in there? I figure something like tiny makeup samples would be appropriate

MOVIE IDEAS.. what are girls at that age watching? I already got twilight, highschool musical & camp rock lol

Bed time. does it matter? should I care? lol my philosophy was to just let them stay up and have fun til they crash.. but as a parent, would you care if they didnt keep to a bedtime?

do you think the parents would care if we played with some temporary hair dye?

oh and cake choices! I found a bakery willing to recreate this..

with her favorite filling (chocolate with buttercream) but I dunno.. is it too much? do you think I should try something a bit more.. normal?

I really want to make this party SUPER extra special. This girl is really sweet, ive known her ever since she was a baby (shes our housekeepers daughter) and I really want this party to be something she never forgets. But I dont want to go overboard.. I want it to be perfect

oh and parents. tell me what you would expect if your daughter went to a slumber party. I really dont mess with the parents lol

THANKS!!! IDEAS, HELP, SUGGESTIONS, CONCERNS etc.. PLEASE

GipsyQueen

Thats really sweet of you to throw a slumber party for her =) Are your brothers going to be helping watch the girls? If not you may want to ask a friend depending on how many are invited. ;) From what I remember from my slumber parties at that age - my mom wished she could divid herself in 5 ^^.
The cake looks AWSOME! :D
As for a bed time? Ehh I'd do those three movies that you have, and karoke; that should be about 8 hours of entertainment? lol Then I'd just let them crash. Prob. will be chatty and tell ghost stories or play truth or dare.
Hmm Im not sure about the hair dye. I remember some moms not approving at all at that age. And it could become a huge mess.....
You could also do facemasks ^^ Those are always fun =)
LOTS of popcorn and other snacks are a must :D

bubbatd

How sweet of you !! I'm sure the parents will tell you if there are any allergies . Why don't you tell them to bring their sleeping bags . I wouldn't fuss with the cake ~~ a sheet cake would be fine and they really don't need gift bags . What a neat idea with the make up ! Kids love to play " grown up " and dress up at that age . Don't expect to sleep !!! Add~ I didn't see the hair dye ^ I'd forget that !!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Thats really sweet of you to throw a slumber party for her =) Are your brothers going to be helping watch the girls? If not you may want to ask a friend depending on how many are invited. ;) From what I remember from my slumber parties at that age - my mom wished she could divid herself in 5 ^^.
The cake looks AWSOME! :D
As for a bed time? Ehh I'd do those three movies that you have, and karoke; that should be about 8 hours of entertainment? lol Then I'd just let them crash. Prob. will be chatty and tell ghost stories or play truth or dare.
Hmm Im not sure about the hair dye. I remember some moms not approving at all at that age. And it could become a huge mess.....
You could also do facemasks ^^ Those are always fun =)
LOTS of popcorn and other snacks are a must :D
facemasks are a great idea! that would be so cute! Im sure I can find one of those homemade recipes online..

No, my brothers wont be staying. but now that I think of it, inviting a girlfriend to help me out is a good idea lol

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
How sweet of you !! I'm sure the parents will tell you if there are any allergies . Why don't you tell them to bring their sleeping bags . I wouldn't fuss with the cake ~~ a sheet cake would be fine and they really don't need gift bags . What a neat idea with the make up ! Kids love to play " grown up " and dress up at that age . Don't expect to sleep !!!
Sleeping bags.. totally forgot about those. I will put that on the invitation lol and I dont expect to sleep at all, especially with all the sugary treats im giving these kids they are going to be SOOO hyper

I also was thinking about buying a bunch of plain cupcakes and letting them decorate one each. like buying lots of sprinkles, icing etc.. and then having a plain cake that they could decorate together!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I think the movies and the karaoke game would probably be enough with the facemasks and makeup and nail polish and stuff.

I don't know... when I was 11 we just wanted to watch movies (although we were into scary movies when I was 11 lol) Listen to music and talk about boys. We didn't really do anything else and we just had munchies and pop. And we had this game called "girl Talk" where you spin this wheel and it gives you something you have to do like put mayo on your face as a mask and other stupid stuff lol You might be able to find something like that that they can play. sort of a truth or dare type thing.

as for the bedtime.. I think just about any parent realizes and REMEMBERS what sleep overs were like at that age lol. let em stay up :)

but definitely get contact numbers for the parents just in case.

But really they are probably just going to want to hang out and have girl talk and play silly games and watch the movies. you really don't need to have much more planned than that.

Crowsfeet

facetious.
What about something crafty? Some beads and pendants and whatnot for jewelry making? Everything sounds super fun, though I might be careful not to emphasize the make up too much.. make up is fun but every woman should know she is beautiful just the way she is, too.. especially eleven old girls :) though I'm sure you know that!

bandaide

Not So Proper
I remember at one party I went to, there were pieces of paper with silly dares stuck into balloons and blown up. Then everyone would pop a balloon and have to do the dare inside their balloon. Kind of like a fortune cookie, lol. But what you already have sounds really good! I think everyone will have a good time. Good luck!

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I have no idea but that's a bitchin' TV/projector.

Also no bed-time. Bedtime is lame, and you're not a square are you? Get with the times daddy-o. They'll just fall asleep whenever the sugar leaves their system.

Oh but yes you should get contact numbers for the parents. Ask if there's food allergies/religious allergies/vegetarian allergies or anything like that.

Hey, you're too sweet... Wish I could be that girl... or wish that someone would throw a party for my birthday... LOL... Get their parents / guardians number... Hair dye, ask their parents first... hmmm... what else, Bed time... It's a one night party so make the most out of it... Enjoy... Goodluck to you girls!!!

Dreeza

oh wow, that all looks awesome!

I wouldn't worry about planning anything else...The best thing you can do is just give them their option & let them run with them on their own....

If you're hovering trying to ensure that they do everything, it'll be a lot less fun. At that age they want independence :) So don't stress if they skip over one activity, or end up just talking half the night!

THey're gonna have a blast thanks to you!!!

ooh, and ya might wanna nix the hair dye (unless its like spray stuff)....its not only super messy, but its only an activity that 2 or 3 can do at a time. Its a great idea, but chances are they won't miss it if its not there...and you won't have to worry about furniture being ruined & a huge cleanup in the morning!

And I would def let the parents know...but make sure you kinda have it scripted what you are going to say & sound very confident & professional!! (I can just tell you're stressing!!)

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
It sounds to me like you have it all covered! As far as activities, what you have will be plenty and they will keep themselves occupied giggling and talking the rest of the time. I have a 13 year old stepdaugther who has had a few slumber parties. I let them stay up as late as they want. I would also suggest having a friend come to help you. That is a lot of little girls to tend to. Have fun!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I spoke to a few of the moms today, and one of them told me to "keep a close eye on her, because she might try to sneak out to see her boyfriend"
your daughter is like 12!!! what the heck is she doing with a boyfriend??!

otherwise, things were fine. other than 2 peanut allergies, we are in the clear lol ive still got 5 or so parents left to call tho lol

Im gonna buy some icecream and a bunch of kinds of toppings so we can make our own sundays while watching the movie. icecream and popcorn lol the mess is going to be crazy but it should be fun

one of my guy friends is sleeping over to help me out, i told the parents about this & he spoke to them and they are OK with it. he just has to sleep in the guest bedroom lol
I picked my really cute guy friend and hes gonna teach the girls how to waltz, so they should get a kick out of that one! lol

the girls mom is uneasy about the whole production I think. shes been watching me run in/out of the house and set up and I shared some of the plans with her. and shes nice and everything but she doesn't look too happy about it :/ I dunno.

she thinks its "too much" for her daughter. but its her birthday! what did she expect me to do? buy a cake and call it a day?! lol

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Sounds like you have plenty already. Way to go!!!!! One day your going to be the best mom ever.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
she thinks its "too much" for her daughter. but its her birthday! what did she expect me to do? buy a cake and call it a day?! lol
You could ask her if she wants to help or has suggestions or something. Get her more involved and maybe that'll put some of her fears to rest.

Members online

No members online now.