Wellness CORE

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Well, Wellness finally came out with a grain free food for dogs... I'm actually impressed with the ingredients.

Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potato, Tomato Pomace, Natural Chicken Flavor, Canola Oil, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Kale, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Vitamins & Minerals, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Products, Rosemary Extract.

Protein: 34%
Fat: 14%
Ca: 2% (max)
P: 1.4% (max)
Fiber: 4% (max)

ACooper

I think we will probably see more come out with grain free (at least the better brands) as time goes on............this last big recall has hurt alot of companies.

Do you know what the price of their new food is? (just curious)

We must still be careful, they may CLAIM to be grain free like a couple of the companies that were affected by the recall. Canine Caviar comes to mind, claimed to be ALL MEAT, then had to recall claiming that their outsourced packing facility added ingredients they didn't approve :rolleyes:

Dekka

Just try me..
Sounds good, the protein and fat are a bit low for my tastes. (lower than raw, which is my standard lol)

Herschel

Wow, that's surprisingly good. The price point of Wellness is usually far beyond their (better) competitors (Natura, Canidae, Eagle Pack) so I can't imagine this will be any different.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'm not sure about that price on it... they have canned CORE as well, which was around the same price as the regular Wellness canned.

I do think that the protein and fat are lower than I'd like to go with my dogs (we are on Orijen and happy with it).

I'm happy to see that there is another choice for a grainfree food, and that more and more companies are going that route. It definitely gives more options for people... and I'm sure that Pet Supermarket is going to carry it (since they carry the other Wellness projects).

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
26 pound bag is 52.99 on pet food direct.. Think I'll stick to Orijen too, though it's nice to see others competing.

rlmtyco

I just picked up a sample of this at the place today...I was hoping to hear a little more about it before I reaally picked up a decent size bag for my dog...I am tryin to get about 3 different kinds of food I rotate him with. so far I have Innova Evo that he has done well on. I picked up some Natures Variety today also sample packs and going to see if he likes those

I just picked up a sample of this at the place today...I was hoping to hear a little more about it before I reaally picked up a decent size bag for my dog...
I just got back from doing the very same thing. I got a small 6 lbs bag of Wellness Just for Puppy (for $13) and plan to try it out. The guy in the feed store couldn't say enough about it, but who knows whether he's an expert or not. :rolleyes:

Herschel

The Wellness Just for Puppy looks pretty good, but the price is high!

Wellness "Just For Puppy" $13 for a 6lb bag.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Salmon Meal (natural source of DHA-Docosahexaneoic acid), Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rice Bran (from brown rice), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Rye Flour, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Ground Millet, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Beta Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride] Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus.

Canidae All Life Stages, $7 for a 6lb bag
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

rlmtyco

I just got back from doing the very same thing. I got a small 6 lbs bag of Wellness Just for Puppy (for $13) and plan to try it out. The guy in the feed store couldn't say enough about it, but who knows whether he's an expert or not. :rolleyes:

yeah she couldnt say enough good stuff about the wellness core...she said they had just got it about 3 weeks ago or so and that they CEO of wellness has had their dog or dogs on it for about a year and they love it. But why would they say anything else LOL. I like that it is grain free and am curious to try it out but would like to see a few more people be guinea pigs before I put my dog on it

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Mine have been doing well on the CORE... I haven't noticed a difference from the Orijen yet. We're still probably going to switch back to Orijen, but it's good to have a rotation.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

I just found out from Darcy's foster home that she is currently on lamb and rice Exceed which she buys at Sam's Club. What kind of food is this? :confused: I pick her up this Wednesday, so I want to be sure I can start her on a good food.

Herschel

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

I just found out from Darcy's foster home that she is currently on lamb and rice Exceed which she buys at Sam's Club. What kind of food is this? :confused: I pick her up this Wednesday, so I want to be sure I can start her on a good food.
Top 6 ingredients of Sam's Club Exceed:
Lamb
Brewers Rice
Corn Gluten Meal
Poultry by-product meal
Ground Wheat
Ground Yellow Corn

Not a good food at all. The Wellness Puppy you picked up is an improvement, and there are a lot of other foods that will be better for your large breed puppy.

Members online

No members online now.