Other people "correcting" your dogs?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Being a dog person in a largely "non dog person" world, I sometimes get people trying to "train" or "correct" my dogs ... sometimes in my own home! Personally I am the type of person that my dogs are part of my home life & my life in general ... so in my own house, I personally dont feel like I have to put them away or shut them away, its their house too! they live there too! If someone doesnt like it, they can GTHO.

Your thoughts?

RBark

Got Floof?
I don't care unless it's a physical correction (i.e. hitting him.. gently pushing him away is fine). If it's a physical correction I just call Kobe to me and make a mental note not to invite this person over and to avoid them.

My ex-girlfriend wanted to learn how to train Kobe, and saw some stuff about alpha rolling. She asked me if it was a good idea to alpha roll Kobe. I said yes.

Hilarity ensued.

Once I could breathe again, I explained to her how to actually train him. :lol-sign:

It depends on what my dogs are doing and what the correction is.

If my dog is jumping on them, begging, or obnoxiously attention seeking by nudging/pawing/otherwise harassing them then I think they have a right to "correct" that behavior if I'm not intervening or there to intervene... just like I would expect the same right if I was being bugged by someone else's dog.

Having said that, harsh physical correction would be completely unacceptable.

Brattina88

Big fat dislike. There are a few people who I don't mind, like my brother because we live together and he has every right to, he knows what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what is an acceptable correction. Or my close friend because we're together so much she'll correct in the same exact way I do. But mostly she just lets her get away with murder and that drives me nuts too :rofl1:

But other people? Strangers? :mad: no thank you

BUT I will say that I am always on top of my dogs... I can't imagine a situation when they did something that needs corrected and I didn't prevent it or correct it from happening myself. They're not allowed to jump on people or steal food or anything like that.
AND I guess on the flip side, if someone's dog is jumping on me and they're owners won't do anything about it repeatedly , I'd probably side step and say "no" :eek:

Double standard? Maybe

Torch

It depends on what my dogs are doing and what the correction is.

If my dog is jumping on them, begging, or obnoxiously attention seeking by nudging/pawing/otherwise harassing them then I think they have a right to "correct" that behavior if I'm not intervening or there to intervene... just like I would expect the same right if I was being bugged by someone else's dog.

Having said that, harsh physical correction would be completely unacceptable.
Some of my friends have horribly behaved dogs. I'm not gonna be mauled just bc said friends are too lazy to train or correct their dogs. I'll often snap my fingers, turn around, something to get the dog to get off me or chill out.

It's only dogs I know well though.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I don't think anyone else, aside from my mom or sister, has tried correcting Cali. She's pretty well-behaved, if you exclude the fact that she's very vocal and gets wound up very easily. She barks and barks and barks whenever my mom or I get home until she gets attention... and we haven't had much success fixing it, so we just wait until she's settled down to give her lots of attention. I do get annoyed by my sister when she tries correcting her, sorry, but yelling no at her and waving your arms around is not going to quiet her down... if anything, she'll get more wound up.

It also annoys me when my mom uses hand signals that I've already assigned to something else, especially when she raises her index finger and says no... it's the hand signal for "sit" so I don't want Cali getting it mixed up.

Michiyo-Fir

I hate it. Especially if they yell at Nia to do something or not do something..

For example, when someone comes in, Nia may be very excited... I usually let her because she doesn't jump on people or anything she wiggles really hard and grabs her toys. Some people I've seen have said STOP STOP NO SIT SIT SIIIIITTTT! Which doesn't do anything and also scares Nia. I would prefer that they tell me that she's bothering them and I can tell her to go upstairs or something like that.

Unless of course she's attacking someone or something like that (which she never does..and doesn't have any inclination to), I don't see a very good reason for people to be correcting my dog. Especially if they don't really understand dogs.

I try my best not to correct other people's dogs either because we all want different behavior from our animals and what I like to see may not be what someone else wants to see. Unless their dogs are jumping/snapping at me or my dog, I don't correct them.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Feel free to tell my dogs off if they are on you or go lay down if they are pestering you. Otherwise, naw, it's my problem.
I dont think I could bring myself to tell Backup to get lost LOL.

I'm talking about guests at your home that may not be "dog savvy" whether they are well known or not. If my dogs are bothering someone, I can usually tell & I will handle it by putting them on tie down (they are all broke to this) or telling the person to ignore the behavior & usually they will just stop.

BUT if someone is "abusing" or being mean (which I also condsider abuse) to my dogs when they arent doing anything I consider to be bad (Ok mine are well behaved but they are dogs & do doggy things which they are ALLOWED to do within reason. Thaats what I am talking about in relation to what earns folks a boot out of your home.

Airn

It really depends on the situation. I'm not a dog trainer. I know a bit but if I'm around someone who I feel knows more, they are more than welcome to correct a behavior. (Sael and Sizzle could have told Gwen to do pretty much anything, if they had wanted. I trust their judgement.)

As far as a non-dog person in my house... it still depends. Are they friends, family, business? If it's the SO's friend I would probably have Gwen stick by me, put her in her crate or just get her out of the way. It's her house, yes, but it's also SO's. And if you invite someone into your home... I believe you should be courteous to their needs. If SO's friend just starting screaming and hitting her, then yes, we would have some issues. Plus, our friends are usually here to see us, not Gwen.

My step-dad hates dogs. When we go to my mom's house, I have Gwen stay away from him. I've seen him tell her "Shoo" or "Go away" or whatever before and it doesn't bother me.

Dogs are just so much like children.... Would you tell someone's child "off" if you were at their house and the child was behaving inappropriately?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
So much what Air said. Have a problem with it? Don't invite people into your house. I don't. If you invite somebody into your house, get your dog to bahve itself and not bother your GUEST.

Then again, I'm not going to sit here and try to say I'm better than everybody else with dogs, because it's not true. It's really not a "non-dog people" world.

JacksonsMom

Big fat dislike. There are a few people who I don't mind, like my brother because we live together and he has every right to, he knows what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what is an acceptable correction. Or my close friend because we're together so much she'll correct in the same exact way I do. But mostly she just lets her get away with murder and that drives me nuts too :rofl1:

But other people? Strangers? :mad: no thank you

BUT I will say that I am always on top of my dogs... I can't imagine a situation when they did something that needs corrected and I didn't prevent it or correct it from happening myself. They're not allowed to jump on people or steal food or anything like that.
AND I guess on the flip side, if someone's dog is jumping on me and they're owners won't do anything about it repeatedly , I'd probably side step and say "no" :eek:

Double standard? Maybe
This. The people he lives with or partially lives with (i.e. my mom, brother, stepdad, stepmom, sister, etc) know when to tell him 'no' or push him away, or whatever). Doesn't bother me a bit.

If a stranger, or someone who does not live here, ever tried to 'correct' him, I would pissed. He's so sensitive as it is and it's hard to get him to trust people so if someone tried to lay hands on him in an inappropriate way, or yelled, or anything of the sorts, it would take me forever to get him to be trusting of people in our house again.

But like you said, I'm so on top of him anyway, that I don't think the opportunity would ever arise for someone to act like so.

I also would never lock him away for someone, and he's always allowed to leap on/off furniture whenever he wants, etc. I would never make him not do these things because someone visiting didn't like it.

JacksonsMom

It kind of reminds me of something that happened maybe two years ago or so? My grandma is not your typical 'grandma' (so don't picture an old lady sitting there knitting, wanting everything all neat and tidy in her house lol).

Anyway, I had Jackson over there... he always comes with me, she is a HUGE dog lover. He is her 'granddog'. He was laying on the couch, in between me and my mom, literally laying there. Grandma's husband is a huge grouch-o, nobody really likes him in the family, sorry to say, but I guess he just decided he wanted to be in a mood. I saw him staring over, with just this pissed-off-glazed look in his eyes. And he was like "GET OFF" and shoo'ed Jackson off the couch. Jackson was terrified. He had never been yelled at, nor interrupted like that for doing *nothing* wrong, he was asleep.

Needless to say, I was PISSED the approach used and ended up getting into a fight with him. Everyone else in my family was mad at the way he did it too, and my grandma said he was extremely drunk (he's an alcoholic).

Had they told me right from the get-go he didn't want my dog on the couch, I would've absolutely 100% been fine with it, but my grandma could care less (she always snuck her lab up with her when her hubby wasn't home). And this wasn't like some strangers home, it's my family whom I'm very close to.

So anyone yells at my dog or touches them, I get VERY defensive, haha. He ended up apologizing, I did for yelling, etc, etc. And now, their Lab has died, and he's obsessed with their new Foxhound they adopted, and he's always laying on the couch cuddling with her. :rolleyes: Go figure!

Red.Apricot

I try to make sure they don't feel the need to. I don't mind if people say anything to her. I'd rather they didn't physically correct her, but as long as they're gentle, it doesn't bother me. She knows a 'go mat' command, so if she's pestering people I make her go have a time out.

Maxy24

I would not be okay with someone from outside of the people who live here correcting my dog. It's almost a moot point because I'm on top of him when people are over, but sometimes I won't know what someone else considers "bad" behavior. My adult brother is the worst offender, he has shoved Tucker for barking and also for climbing onto his lap to get from the arm of the couch to the ground. In the first instance, it's not up to him whether or not Tucker is allowed to bark, and I was coming to deal with it. In the second instance Tucker had no other way to get to the ground, but I guess I see how having a dog on your lap could bother someone, even if it was breif. But you still can't physically punish my dog because he's annoying you. Plus, there's a chance he'll snap at you for getting physical with him. I would not he terribly bothered if certain people verbally corrected him for something, like if they saw him about to steal food or something sudden, but if someone relatively new to him did that it could cause him to become aggressive. Luckily no one new has ever done that.

If he's bothering you and I don't notice, tell me.

And I hate when people have their own rules for my animals. Our cats walk on the table when we are not eating, we let them. But my grandmother will scream at and swat at them when they get on the table. It drives me nuts, they are allowed there, stop punishing them and hurting my ears.

The only time I'll "correct" another person's dog is if they are jumping on me and not being stopped. I might gently push them off and then hold their collar to keep them off of me if they are still trying to jump. But I am not trying to punish them, just prevent the jumping.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
So much what Air said. Have a problem with it? Don't invite people into your house. I don't. If you invite somebody into your house, get your dog to bahve itself and not bother your GUEST.

Then again, I'm not going to sit here and try to say I'm better than everybody else with dogs, because it's not true. It's really not a "non-dog people" world.
The issue I have with this is, what is bothering to one person isn't to another.

I make sure my dogs are polite when people visit, but it is MY job to make sure they are behaved, not my guests. If they don't like what the dog is doing then ask me. I am hyper vigilant so this shouldn't occur.

I usually tell people what to do with the dogs in any situation anyway (for example, if they are fussing I'll say, just firmly tell them to get off and lie down). Or I will physically intervene.

I don't like the idea of other people a) feeling they need to do something or b) doing something I don't agree with (yelling, smacking etc).

It's not that I don't raise my voice (or even shout now and then!!), but that is my job.

If they are dog savy and treat them appropriately then that is entirely different.

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
UGH, that's the thing I'm worried about most for this upcoming summer. I'm going back to live at my parents' house for three months and at first I was really excited "Yay! Beaches! Mountains! The dogs and I are gonna have so much fun!" and then I realized, wait a minute... there are FIVE other people living in that house who don't know *anything* about dog behaviour and training. My mom and dad are huge Cesar Milan fans too (imagine the type of people who rub the dog's noses into the carpet if they made an accident, who smack dogs in the face if they wiggle around during grooming). I'm absolutely going to have to spend this entire summer micromanaging not only Lugia, but the new Koolie puppy and five other people. I'm going to have to be very, very strict about the ways that my family are allowed to interact with my pups and they aren't going to be happy about it. I was going to do an internship at this clinic but I'm going to have to turn it down, I'm not going to risk leaving my dogs alone with these people and have them COMPLETELY UNDO everything I've put into my dogs. If they hear the puppy screaming in her crate while I'm not home, they'll (without a second thought) go and let her out and leave her unattended. EVEN IF I TELL THEM NOT TO. Shudder. I should've just stayed in Colorado for the summer.

adojrts

It is my job to make sure I protect my dogs from the ignorance of others. And NOBODY corrects my dogs. Either my dogs are well trained and well behaved, I use the situation to train my dogs to be ^^^ or I put them away and manage the situation etc.

With puppies or dogs that are being trained it pisses me off when folks (anyone) gives my dog a cue/command. So I ask the people to not do it, for the simple reason that until the pup/dog is well trained in that cue/command I don't want it poisoned by anyone.

Which raises the question as to why so many people have the need to give someone's dog a command? Why?

The same goes for petting every frigg'n dog they meet? Why? maybe the dog doesn't want to greet, why does it have to? Leave the dog alone, unless the owner and the dog are giving you permission to greet it and then follow the owners instructions/wishes. Amazes me the number of people that think that they are better qualified/skilled and knowledgeable than the owner of the dog.

Ok, my rant is over lol.

Members online