drying your dog after bath

Specsy

Owned by Rottweilers
I don't use a hair dryer, it freaks my kids out. So I use 2 towels, 1 thick towel for when I just take them out the bath and get all the water out by which time the towel is sopping wet and doesn't help much anymore and 1 thin towel that I just rub the rest of the water out with and by then they are usually almost 100% dry. I then brush them out and put some baby powder on their fur because it absords all the excess moisture that remains...and it makes them smell like babies, obviously. Bella likes to kill the towel after I dry her so I have a 3rd towel for Bella which has a million bite holes in it and is in tatters, I just give it to her after I dry her and she kills the towel and leaves it after about 5 mins.

I have a HV dryer. I like to make sure Blaze is 100% dry. as i dont want to leave him sitting/laying around damp if i can help it (such as camping and cottages, I have no choice) as i dont want to worry about skin issues or hot spots under his hick fur.

Solo I dont bother to dry much, he is dry in no time as it is.

Giny

It's an important part of growing up in getting your puppy used to the noise of a dryer. If you have a regular hairdryer at home, set it on warm, not hot, and if it still feels too hot on your skin then set it to cool. It's always best to dry the dog after a bath, especially in the colder climate. If your dog is a short hair, and it warm outside then a good towel dry is ok, as long as you dry them well.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My dogs do not have long hair so we do not use a dryer. First I towel off every bit of the water as much as I can...which they like. THey are then told to down stay on a thick dry towel, and then a soft thick cotton blanket is put over them, tucked all around the edges and they are allowed to snooze. I even put them both together under there. When they get up, they are dry and happy.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
all of mine have long hair so They do get blow dried Sometimes in the summer they run around the yard like loonies to dry lol

RD

Are you dead yet?
I use a towel and a forced air dryer if I have access to one. If not, if it's cold I will use my own hair dryer. It takes a good hour of drying though.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I use a hairdryer on Lucy because, well, she just looks ugly if she air dries lol. Plus it would take her a while to dry, which wouldn't be a big deal in the summer, but in the winter I don't want to leave her sopping wet.

Juno gets rubbed down with a towel, and then she's dry within a few minutes. Love short-haired dogs haha.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I just got a forced air dryer for Christmas and it is wonderful. I washed and dried the dog in under an hour. I was so excited, LOL.

Dekka

Just try me..
It's an important part of growing up in getting your puppy used to the noise of a dryer. If you have a regular hairdryer at home, set it on warm, not hot, and if it still feels too hot on your skin then set it to cool. It's always best to dry the dog after a bath, especially in the colder climate. If your dog is a short hair, and it warm outside then a good towel dry is ok, as long as you dry them well.
Why?

I mean if you own a thick coated breed, sure. But none of my dogs need to. Even the hairier JRTs dry very quickly (wirey hair doesn't hold water)

I live in Ontario, even when its cold out (though its the same temp in my house for the most part) my dogs just get towel dried. If its cold I make sure they are fully dry before they go outside.

Zizzy35

My dog will lay on my feet while I dry my own hair, but he doesn't like it on him. So usually it's a lot of towels.

mom2dogs

I could never imagine not drying my dogs, especially their jacket, or having a dog who wouldn't let me use a dryer without being a PITA. There's a few times where if I just wash the furnishings (which is more frequently, the jacket gets washed maybe once a month/every two months) and I stick them in a crate to dry, but right after I put gold bond or baby powder on to help absorb any leftover moisture. Plus I can tell the difference when one is blow dried and the other is not, the one who was blow dried looks better, :p

Dekka

Just try me..
Depends on the breed (as to looks better) The JRTs look ridiculous lol. And the whippets look all funny.

But really the dogs are dry in 20 min with out a hair dryer, so I can't imagine the need. (heck with JRTs if you show them you aren't supposed to bathe them, so the really don't require blow drying lol)

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Izzie looks way better blow dried. If she's let to air dry she takes about 4 hours to completely dry and she gets cowlicks and weird zig zags in her fur as well as a very coarse feeling to her fur down her back.

Dekka

Just try me..
hmmm lol perhaps I don't want a pug then. I had always assumed they were more wash n wear (which is a BIG want for me) Sport takes way way less than 4 hours. hmm /scratches pugs off her 'someday list.

Members online

No members online now.