How to occupy a busy dog during convalescence?

ra_chico

I just found out that my very busy Lab has sustained a microfracture. My vet has recommended 30 days of total rest, no exercise at all, so that she can heal. We are respecting this as best we can, but my dog is going out of her mind. She normally gets at least a one-hour walk period per day, and it is easy to see that she has energy to burn.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping her busy during this period? Unfortunately, hydrotherapy is not an option in my area.

Thanks!

darkchild16

We are Home.
First off with diffculty. And how i could manage a month i have no clue I can tell you how we managed 2 weeks.

Interactive toys, hard bones filled with frozen broth or gravy, create indoor games that dont require any running or jumping like catch if your dog knows how already or you might be able to teach her if not. Its like throwing a cookie at her to catch but do it with a stuffy then give her time to play with it then throw it over again.

Cant think of much more. Im sorry and I hope she heals soon poor girl.

ra_chico

Thanks for the suggestions. She loves stuffed animals, so I think I will take your tip and search for something more interactive that doesn't involve too much action. Also, frozen bones are a great idea! I'll give it a shot!!!

Thanks a million!

darkchild16

We are Home.
I must have a dumb dog then he tore the balls up and is obsessed with the box. (he had the box and balls one) He never did figure out to take them OUT *shakes head*

elegy

overdogged
frozen kongs saved my life.

luce had knee surgery. she's a really active 4 y/o pit bull and she had to be completely restricted to a crate for 2 weeks, and then restricted except for increasingly longer walks for another 6 weeks. it was no fun at all for anybody.

if you're really having a hard time, call the vet and ask if she can have some sedatives.

ra_chico

ra_chico

frozen kongs saved my life.

luce had knee surgery. she's a really active 4 y/o pit bull and she had to be completely restricted to a crate for 2 weeks, and then restricted except for increasingly longer walks for another 6 weeks. it was no fun at all for anybody.

if you're really having a hard time, call the vet and ask if she can have some sedatives.
Thanks! At least the vet is giving me the chance to try and restrict her movements without putting her in a crate (she's never been in one, and I would be very curious to see what size of a crate I would need to contain a Lab! She's not fat, but she's a big girl!). I hadn't thought of the kong balls until Darkchild 16 suggested filling frozen bones. It's only been 2 days since she was diagnosed, and we are not really organised yet! Plus, Mommy was getting desperate! The advice I am getting on this forum is really helping, though.

Thanks for the tip!

goldiefur

This is the cutest thing! I think Susie will love it. Thanks so much for the advice!
Yeah it really is cute!:p Here are some more toys I found http://www.kyjen.com/dogtoys/?page=dt-puzzleplush#dt-puzzleplushiqube
I may have to buy Brody some of these. A pet store in my area used to have these plush toys one is a ball another one I saw is a snake and the dog can rip them apart. They are attached by velcro and it makes the loudest noise when you pull it apart. I was trying to find them online but I have had no luck. It is not the pull apart guys on the site. The ones I found were way better quality. If I ever find out the name of them I will post it.

ra_chico

Is she going to be able to walk? Or do they want her completely reestricted (mostly laying down not walking or anything?)
She is able to walk on her own. The vet wants her to rest as much as possible, no exercise, no walks, no active play, only bathroom breaks in the back yard. But she is an active girl, used to at least 1 hr of exercise per day in addition to games of fetch etc. It's going to be rough, because she is on anti-inflammatory meds, and does not feel the pain. She sees no reason why she shouldn't have her walks and do as she pleases...I have a couple of frozen kong balls, though, and just went out and bought some interactive, more quiet toys. We'll see how it goes, one day at a time!

ra_chico

Looks like fun! I will see if they ship to Canada (my location). Also, I just found out that I can get the Hide-a-squirrel shipped here (their website says no international in one place, then new international shipping in another). I hope it works, it's really cute. I went to my local store this morning and got a Playstages jumbo ring pull (like a string of donuts on a knotted rope). If I find anything that really occupies her, I will post it on the forum.
Thanks all!

Members online

No members online now.