dog wont come

help i have a yorkie/shitz...about 6 months . no matter what i have tried he wont come when i call him. rite now hes been outside all day and wont come in. i can get close to him then he runs. his tail in tucked and hes acting scared.. iv never hit him or yelled.. what the heck can i do..

he only goers out to play and to go potty.. when he comes in hes free to roam. but he sometimes wont come in. he was out all night last night and i had it. its like he doesnt respect me.. how can i get him to listen to me..

Fran27

You need to train him. And mostly, to take him out only on a leash. When he's on the leash, take his favorite treat or toy and tell him to come to you. Do that all the time when he runs towards you.

My puppy only listens when he wants to so I know exactly how annoying it is... I guess it just requires patience.

One of the things with recalls is that you have to work on them consistently.

The basic premise behind recalls is that the dog has to understand that he should come when called because something good will happen and because he'll probably regain the freedom after coming, but also he has to understand that if he doesn't come then he will lose his freedom for not responding. Whatever you do - don't call them and then punish them for something. Those can set you back WEEKS! Coming when called should ALWAYS equal good things. (Make sure everyone in your house knows this too.)

I train recalls with a long line. I have a 30' lunge line (for horses) but if it's a smaller dog they sometimes have leashes that are 20' at the dollar store. (Wes just rips the latch right off...) Give him/her a couple treats before you get outside so she knows you have them. Let the dog explore the yard and then call him/her. (Use his/her name + Come/Here/Close/Heel) Make sure you have really good treats (liver/cheese/chicken weiners/ect.) and make a HUGE deal when he comes. Then let him go explore again. I use "go play!". Then call him again. Repeat several times a day. If he doesn't come when called - reel him in, say "good come" and walk with him close for a little bit. (No treat!) Then let him explore again. Try again.

Sometimes we'll walk in open areas (to find new distractions) and I'll just leave the line dragging. Gives a convenient handle if for some reason he doesn't respond due to interesting things that may distract his attention.

It takes a LONG time. Wes is to the point that I can take him to the park and get an almost completely consistent recall over hundreds of feet. It has been a long, sometimes frustrating process.

Good luck!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Same thing kind of happened to me today. My puppy wouldn't come. I always take him outside without a leash to use the bathroom because he's never needed it, he always follows me around. But today, he was too fascinated with his own feces and puddles of mud to come when I called him. He got me really frustrated and he even sat like 2 inches from the inside of my house but he wouldn't come in. When he did, he went running into the kitchen (where his food/water bowl is at).

But I think I'm going to have to start putting him on a leash. It's such a hassle to put his collar on, he hates it. It's not like I'm putting a bear trap around his neck, lol. :D

What kind of collar are you using? If it's a leather or nylon collar you can leave it on him. A puppy shouldn't have a choker or other metal collar. When you take him out for walks, though, a halter is very good. It gives you more control, makes your pup feel more secure, and a puppy can't slip out of a halter.

You're scaring him. Humans look like giants to 6 month old yorkies. If the giant shouts and runs toward him, it's even scarier.

Don't run/walk towards him.
Don't make eye contact.
Don't stand up tall.
Don't grab him.

Do crouch down or sit on the ground, and wait.
Do look away from him. Yawn.
Do a lot of flirting, blinking and smiling.
Do clap and call him to you, occassionally.
Do toss him treats.
Do pet him if he comes up to you.

If he gets in your lap, pet him and give him a treat. Once he's comfortable, either pick him up and carry him inside, or walk away from him.

Fran27

Well my puppy is outside and won't come in right now... I think it's time to only let him out on a leash until he starts to listen...

Fran, What was his body language telling you? Was he just wanting to play? If that's the case (often is with puppies), then you have to make coming inside more fun that staying outside. Play fetch for a while first and have a special treat ready for the end of the game.

Often times people make the mistake of punishing the dog when it comes, because they were so frustrated that it wouldn't come that when it finally does they're upset with the dog. Then of course the dog associates listening to it's owner with being punished or fun time ending. Fun time should only just begin once the dog comes inside.

Fran27

I never punish him for coming. He's just picky and really needs a good reason to come - half the treats won't do, he just sits at the door looking at them then turns away, it's pretty funny actually.

linzgrrl

Yorkie & Jack Russell
My Yorkie use to do the same thing. He loved to be outside and would sit out there all day ... When I wanted him to come in I would call him and he would just look at me. When i would go get him and bring him back inside he would just go straight back to the door and cry. I got to the point were i just let him and propped the door open so he could come and go as he pleased. (this was last summer, I got him last December) He grew out of this habit after the summer and now (for the most part) he comes when he's called. Hopefully it's just a phase your baby will grow out of too. :)

Princess is frustrating! I have to really limit her time out back now because when the neighbor lets his dogs out Princess jumps at their fence, which is worn and brittle and knocks boards down or breaks them, then will pull them off to get in their yard. We are both trying to time it just right so they never go out at the same time. Anyway, I will call Princess to come in, she'll sit in silence, ignoring me. Then I hear her whine. Then she'll come running but stops at the bottom of the steps or will get right up on the steps and look at me and whine. I know she's asking to please let her stay out. If I try to make her come in she looks at it as a game so I normally have to leave the door open and walk away, then she'll come running in. But whats funny is if she's outside and we are going someplace I will call her, tell her comeon, lets go to work, or lets go for a ride, she looks around the yard, whines then runs as fast as she can in the back door and straight to the front door ready to go. She just loves being outside.

Members online

No members online now.