Border Collies

RD

Are you dead yet?
I've seen nothing but brilliance from these guys.. Quite a few with boredom-related behavior problems, but still brilliant dogs that can give even the best handler a run for their money, and a pretty good test of intelligence. As a matter of fact, I'm considering buying one.. :D (A far cry from a GSD or Dobe, but I've just recently fallen in love with this breed)

This is the little borderboy I'm considering..
< Look at that stare he's got in the far right picture. hehehe. And that's at 4 weeks!

If I don't buy him, the same breeder is planning to have another litter in the spring, both the sire & dam are AKC champions and have herding and agility titles galore.. I might reserve a female pup from that litter...

Does anyone else have a BC?

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

Border collies are the smartest dogs in the world. There was one that could recognize 200 diferent objects by their names. Border collies are good house pets. They are extremely hyper. They nead a physical and mental challenge each day like herding.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Border Collies are not hyper dogs. They're energetic and enthusiastic dogs who put their all into almost everything they do. Of course, if you force a Border Collie to be a couch potato, it's going to backfire on you and he's going to be uncontrollable and destructive.

Because of that, you contradicted yourself in saying that "They make good house pets".

And yes, they are some of the smartest & most obedient dogs there are. ;)

Border Collies are awesome dogs. High energy and will play with you until you drop.
A great dog for someone with an active lifestyle.

Chazhound

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

Herding is so deeply embeded into their genetics they try to herd little kids. I met one that had an obsession with moving balls around a house lol. They got a lot of exercise requirements.

RD

Are you dead yet?
LOL, I met one that would lay all his toys in a straight line on the floor, and if anyone kicked one out of place, he would drop anything he was doing and put that toy right back where it belonged. :p

They do need exercise, but more than that they need mental stimulation.. I know a 13-year-old border collie who knows an almost unlimited number of tricks, because learning was the only thing that would tire her out, so her owner taught her tricks every day. :)

Oh, Grace, I do hope you get that little guy! I'm anticipating all sorts of hysterical stories about him and Ripley! Ripley's going to get herded! Just be careful not to hurt yourself laughing!

When my parents were taking care of my sister's JRT, Braec, he kept aggravating their blind Australian Shepherd, O'Riley, who in turn, drove Braec to the edge of his lttle mind by herding him wherever he wanted to put him! Oh, it was soooo funny to watch! Braec would try to sneak up on O'Riley and would end up in a corner, and being a Terrier, he kept trying over and over again. When he'd get mad enough to snap at O'Riley, all it earned Braec was a paw across his back, holding him down until he'd quiet down.

I seriously doubt Ripley's obnoxious like little Braec (we love him, but he really is an obnoxious brat - mostly because of his previous, abusive owner), but it will be great mental and physical exercise for him to try to figure out how to get around a Border Collie. From your descriptions of his energy level and intelligence, it should be a great pair of dogs to live together - if you can keep up with them! ;)

RD

Are you dead yet?
LOL I know, I'm just picturing the hysteria in the house with two dogs with herding instincts.

Ripley actually does have herding instincts, I don't know HOW he got them, but he circles things just like a border collie. LOL. And he is obnoxious... very obnoxious... Think: run in circles around you, teasing you, and then bite you when you finally catch him and pick him up.. obnoxious. :D :p

I just got an email from the breeder, she's an AWESOME breeder with some fantastic dogs... Ooh, I want him sooo bad.. *crosses fingers*

pitbulliest

Be careful about the breeder. If the female just had pups and he's planning on getting her pregnant again in just a few months..I'd ask him why he's wanting to breed her so fast again and see what his excuse is. A good breeder that really cares about their dog waits for AT LEAST a year before making another litter. It's a dog, not a baby machine..

Sorry about the attitude, but this guy is kinda starting to tick me off now that I think about it.

RD

Are you dead yet?
It's a different female... It's been a year and a half since this one last had a litter...

RD

Are you dead yet?
lol it's ok... I'd be outta there quicker than you could imagine if she was breeding a female every season.

bogolove

I used to work with a lady that had three because she loved them so much. They are highly intelligent animals, one of hers even knows how to open her front door when the other two are getting on her (the dog's) nerves to let them out! They live out in the country so the dogs have plenty of space to run and play together. They are energetic and need something to keep them stimulated, but they are extremely loyal and loving. I was considering this type of dog before, but then Brady found me.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I go to visit Mr. Borderboy tomorrow, to evaluate his temperament and potential and possibly bring him home!!! :D

Well, Grace, have you picked out a name yet, or are you waiting for him to earn his name?

Personally, from what you''ve told us about little Ripley, I can't think of a better buddy for him than a Border Collie.

RD

Are you dead yet?
:D Well, I can easily say that after only 2 hours of having Dakota home, that I'll never be without another Border Collie.. I absolutely LOVE this dog, he's so smart and you can really tell that he just wants to be with people. Such a major love bug... **Happy sigh**

So, it's Dakota instead of Bruiser as originally planned?

You sound ecstatic, Grace, and I know I'm just tickled for you. Maybe someday you'll be able to add a Fila to your pack as well. :p

Members online

No members online now.