Love at first sight

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
Has anyone just fallen in love with a breed in an instant?
I work in a shelter and get mostly mix breeds. I train the dogs to be more socially acceptable for their new homes so they are less likely to be dumped again. Anyway, i was doing the rounds in the medium sized pens. Everything was normal, cattle cross kelpie, kelpie cross border collie, border collie cross cattle, cattle cross lab, when, suddenly, beautiful rough collie!
This was my first encounter with the breed. Usually i like sleek, streamlined dogs! I went into the pen and this dog started talking to me. It wasn't like barking. She is the only dog i have ever seen genuinly trying to communicate verbally with me. I realised she was trying to tell me what happened. I patted her slowly while she stared into my eyes and continued in that weird high pitched voice. Eventually she grew silent and slowly sank onto my knees with a sigh of relief. She litterally lay across my knees in a kind of limp happiness as i continued to pat her.
It was so strange and out of place, most shelter dogs leap all over you. She was adopted that day by a nice old lady, but her face has never left my mind. I'm now getting my first rough collie in two weeks.

gapeach

Big Mutts
That's such a sweet story! I've always fallen at first sight too but never for a particular breed.

showpug

:) :) You know, it is really amazing when it hits you, and you "discover" your breed. Some people don't have one particular breed that tuggs at their heart strings and some only have one breed that they would ever consider owning. I would have to say that I love all dogs and I find mystery and awe in all breeds of dogs including mixes, but I still remember my first encounter with a pug. I was in middle school and his name was Gizmo. He was a black pug who was owned by one of my older sisters friends. I would go with my parents every time to pick my sister up at her friends house just so I could sneak a peek at Gizmo. Lets just say that from the first day I saw him I new I would have pugs. Today I show pugs and will be getting my 3rd in a couple of weeks. I will always have them and will always remember that first encounter with Gizmo...the dog that started the pug spark in me :) I hope you enjoy your collie.

Doberluv

That's really wonderful Bridey. Be sure and show us pictures when you get your dog. Is it going to be a pup? I have fallen in love with a breed....the Doberman. LOL.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Aw! I guess I feel the same way about Shepherds... I loved 'em all my life... I finally got one. And I love 'im!

Good to hear about your pup. Make sure you gets lottsa pics! :)

Doberluv

I love GSDs too Big dog. I've had them before and they were wonderful. They are soooo beautiful. I guess I think they're the most beautiful dog. It's a toss up, kind of between a Dobe and a Shepherd for looks, I guess. They're so versatile and faithful....'fantabulous! And such good dogs with kids when raised with them. When my kids were young, our shepherd was the most trustworthy dog around them and their friends. He was not particularily reserved and not wary of strangers. LOL. He had more of a Lab temperament. LOL. But when it came to a dire emergency (someone trying to get in) he became the most vicious thing you ever saw....scared away the intruder.

I also love Labradors....such sweet, docile and trustworthy temperaments and such a utilitarian look and attitude. And they're so willing and easy to train, capable of soooooo many different jobs. I love watching them swim too....beautiful, beautiful, beautiful swmmers. LOL. I miss my Bonnie Lab so much. She was so laid back, even as a pup. I know I make generalizations, but what I mean is the way they should be...more typical.

But, since I got this Doberman, I've found things about him that are so unlike other dogs. They are a handful, to be sure, as pups, but so very interesting...so alert and extremely intelligent and affectionate. They LOVE to work and need to. It's really fun and challenging to train this guy. He wants to do everything just right, but also wants to give me his opinion about just how we're going to achieve the same ends. So, we discuss things. LOL. He's a kick. I can't see being without a Doberman, now that I have one. They are just such a lot of dog....intense. And I love their looks very much...really handsome.

And I love some of the toy breeds. I have Chihuahuas now and they're such a cotton pickin' kick. What characters! And the acrobatics that they are capable of is really entertaining...let me tell you. People just don't give them enough credit. They're awesome little dogs and if socialized properly, sweet and friendly. Mine are very outgoing and friendly to strangers. They're not suppose to be way up there on the "intelligences" study that I saw, but my boy Chi mix is very, very bright. The girl Chi is perfectly capable of learning when I find what floats her boat...usually an extra special treat. So, who knows...they all learn in different ways.

There are so many more breeds I like or love, but I'd still have to say my fav is a Dobe.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I know that I haven't found the one breed that is "mine" yet. As much as I love all of my dogs that I have now I don't think that any of them are the breed for me. I don't know if that sounds mean, but I hope it doesn't. I don't mean for it to sound mean if it does. It's just I love all my dogs and all of them have an equal place in my heart but I think I still need time to find "my" breed.

Doberluv

You don't sound mean at all. That's normal that we all love our dogs. I've always loved all my dogs too. At the time I had my Shepherds, I thought I'd always have Shepherds. I almost was going to get one when I was thinking about the Doberman a few years ago. It was between those two breeds. Eeny meeny miny moe...But, I now live in a tiny house and I remembered how much hair mine shed...I mean enough to knit a sweater every few days. And I'm a neat freak. I've always been fascinated with the Doberman and thought they were beautiful, sleek, elegant and atheletic. So, I looked into it more....for a year I researched the breed, visited some and fell more in love with the breed and their characteristics, the goofy personality and wonderful, trainable intelligence, the way they think, the intuitiveness and high sensativity level, alertness, and so much more.

So, almost another year went by while I was looking for the right breeder and then waiting on waiting lists for a puppy. Now, I love this breed so much, I can't see being without one. So, I would say this is "my breed."

I loved my Lab to death too. LOL. And my Chi's. I'll probably always have a Chi or two. They're so easy and teensy.....cute as buttons.

And if I get too old too fast, I'll probably have to toss the Doberman idea. The Chihuahuas would be easier for an old woman. I'm 50 now and can still handle a big dog, but you just never know....LOL.

So, I don't think your'e mean. LOL. There are so many breeds out there and mixes too that are wonderful. Oh man...I've had some terrific mixed breeds. Hopefully, you'll get to experience several breeds or just several dogs during your lifetime. It's all an adventure.

I've loved German Shepherds ever since I was little. I can't imagine life being complete without one, no matter what other dogs I live with. I've already given Charley fair warning, lol! He doesn't understand and thinks I would be just as happy with only Filas, or with Dobermans, but it doesn't work like that. I've known many Dobermans, and they are wonderful creatures, but they aren't the same. It may be the herding background that makes such a difference, because the herding breeds are always my favorites, with the possible exception of the Wolfhounds.

Doberluv, you might consider that as you get older you NEED the Doberman even more! My parents will be getting one of the Fila pups in out of Shiva or Kharma in the future - so I won't have to worry so much about them!

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I love german shepherds and dobermans, they are a whole lot more trainable than rough collies, that's for sure. But i do performances at childrens parties, and people are so quick to voice their outrage should i bring a percieved "attack breed" into their midst.

A friend of mine used to be a rodeo clown. He had an Australian Shepherd who was part of his act. Roscoe was a show-stealer, lol!

That's really a shame, Bridey. If I had kids my first choice for a dog from the time they were babies in the cradle would be a German Shepherd.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I know, people are so ignorant. I would love to incorporate many different breeds into my act but their are some pretty misinformed mothers out there.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I fell in love with Irish and English Setters the day I went to a show and had the privilege of spending some time with the lovely dogs! I just saw them and thought they were absolutely STUNNING, and I love their temperaments as well.

The Border Collie was not a "love at first sight" thing. They (really!!) grew on me over time and now I don't think I will ever be able to love another breed as much the BC.

WazSupDogs

WOW
wat a story!!
True...so many breeds out there and mixes which is good

well take care & good luck

Payge

I've always had a thing for the "giant" breeds of dog. When I was about 4 I had a Cinderella book and on the last page I still remember there being a picture of Cinderella and Prince Charming walking two great danes. When the Beethoven movie came out I watched it over and over just to be able to look at that gorgeous dog. At the Veterinary Clinic we had a Mastiff named "Princess Lily" whom we affectionatly termed "The Whale" as when she was recovering from dental surgery she took up the entire floor, she was sooo sweet and the owners had put a large pink rhinestone crystal collar on her.

Akitas are another favorite of mine, there's just somthing about their smiling faces that tugs at my heart.

But then theres just special dogs in breeds i'm normally not attracted to that make me fall in love with them. We had a Chihuahua who would let you hold her like a baby at the clinic, our mascot was a pug with a kidney shunt named Bronson, everyone loves Bronson. A Maltese puppy named Muppet. So many stories of so many different breeds I normally wouldn't have looked twice at that ended up wrapping me around their little paws.

Members online

No members online now.