Breeding Labs for Color

LabDad

Houston, Texas
My brother is about to become a new Lab Dad. I have spent the last year educating him to the joys and tribulations of Lab puppyhood so I believe he is prepared for the adventure. This weekend he is going to pick up the girl shown on the left in this photo.

I have always heard that Labs cannot be bred for a specific color and to expect a mix of black, yellow, and chocolate in every litter.
Both the parents of this litter are yellow and the entire litter of eight is yellow. Just wondering, is it now possible to breed for a specific color or was this just coincidence?
Here is the link to the breeder showing the parents, Bond and Sunny:
http://www.doubleplaylabradors.com/breeding.html#previous

Fran27

I have no idea :( Just one thing though, make SURE that the breeders did OFA and CERF testing on the parents (hip and eyes). I don't see it mentionned on the website, and lots of breeders don't do those tests and breed dogs with terrible hips, and you end up with puppies that limp and might need surgery later on.

Edit: Some dogs seem to have got the testing done, others not. Make sure to ask.

joce

Brown does not occur in a lot of lab lines. It is a more recessive trait and some people look at it as bad(just because there is more inner breeding to get it I guess). My dad would never touch on that had brown in its line. If all you breed is yellow to yellow for so long all you will get is yellow. Same with black. Our neighbors hava a severly inbred brown one they breed and it has all brown pups(dumbest dog in the world).

We always had some yellow and some black. I can't remember what the mix was but it ended up that the one breeding pair we kept pups out of was black(male) and yellow(female). Do you know how to do a punnet square? Say black is dominant(I think it is) and yellow is recessive(and I'm sure this is not completely how it works but you'll get the idea).

BB is homo black
Bb is hetero black
bb is hetero yellow

b b

B Bb Bb

b bb bb

So two blacks and two yellows and that was the worst punnet square ever! But if the black was hom BB It would be all black puppies.

I tried and tried to fix the square but when I hit add reply it just goes back to a smooshed mess

showpug

2 yellow parents will have all yellow puppies. A lot of top breeders who breed labs breed only a specific color. Some breeders only do yellow, other only breed black. Some will mix colors and have a mixed litter.

Members online

No members online now.