Age Differences?

Wht is the age difference between you and your SO?

• Total voters

Pops2

Well, I don't have a SO and it'll likely stay that way, so have got to get the kids on board for gruel feeding and wheelchair pushing. It's only fair, since I spent several years doing it for them. :D

Milos_Mommy, I think it becomes a big difference when it puts people in different stages of life. So it would vary between different people of the same age. That said, I don't think 10 years is a big deal between a 50 year old and a 60 year old.

My best friends, the most happily married ones that are the most compatible with their spouses have the biggest age gaps. One is 41, her husband is 69. They have a 17 year old son and a 14 year old daughter. They are super well matched, I honestly can't see them with different people, and neither can they.

Another friend is 32 and her SO of 11 years is 44. They're super happy together as well.
I agree. I think the big age difference actually often puts them at similar levels of maturity & patience.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'm just turned 32 and he is 38 in Sept.

Its no big deal at all. We are both big kids, so it works out fine.

Funnily enough I went out with a guy who was also 6 yrs older than me when I was 16 (so he was 22). THAT felt like a massive age gap at the time. We were together 3.5yrs so it went, but now 6 yrs feels like nothing.

I do frequently wind him up about being old though, and close to 40. It mortifies him.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Or...is that because he's Asian? :) Seriously, people usually guess me in early 20's and Jason in mid-to-late-20's.
Lol, I can't believe he's 40! He looks around your age!

I'm 6 years older than my bf. It seems like a ridiculously huge gap... I think it's way more common for the guy to be older. We are at the same maturity level, in MOST ways, though. It just scares me that when he's my age, I'll be 30!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I'm just turned 32 and he is 38 in Sept.

Its no big deal at all. We are both big kids, so it works out fine.

Funnily enough I went out with a guy who was also 6 yrs older than me when I was 16 (so he was 22). THAT felt like a massive age gap at the time. We were together 3.5yrs so it went, but now 6 yrs feels like nothing.

I do frequently wind him up about being old though, and close to 40. It mortifies him.
Yeah why is that? I not only noticed it with myself but I also notice it with other people, that even small age diffs when you are in your teens/ early 20s seem bigger then like after 25 or so.

Yeah why is that? I not only noticed it with myself but I also notice it with other people, that even small age diffs when you are in your teens/ early 20s seem bigger then like after 25 or so.
Because its all relative. When you are 16, each year is 1/16th of your life. When you are 49, it's 1/49th. Years literally count less in the overall experience. Also, when you are in your teens you are still a child, even at 19 one is still very young (and this is from someone who was a very mature 19 year old)

Xandra

Because its all relative. When you are 16, each year is 1/16th of your life. When you are 49, it's 1/49th. Years literally count less in the overall experience.
One of the worst parts of getting older. Makes the time seem to go by so much quicker.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Because its all relative. When you are 16, each year is 1/16th of your life. When you are 49, it's 1/49th. Years literally count less in the overall experience. Also, when you are in your teens you are still a child, even at 19 one is still very young (and this is from someone who was a very mature 19 year old)
Yeah, you're still growing and maturing rapidly when you're that young, and your life is moving pretty fast in big ways to make a couple of years seems eons apart, as far as where you are in life.

ACooper

There are 4 years between Kevin and I.......I'm the older :eek:

We always joke that if we had met in Highschool, there is no way on Earth I would have dated a little punk freshman like him! LOL

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Last SO was 3 years older. I actually thought he was a lot older when I met him. I don't think I would actively seek out anyone more than 5-6 years older than me at this point in my life (I'm 20), but who knows!

Equinox

Last SO was 3 years older. I actually thought he was a lot older when I met him. I don't think I would actively seek out anyone more than 5-6 years older than me at this point in my life (I'm 20), but who knows!
...and now I finally know your age :p

LOL on Chaz I assume everyone's 20 - 40 unless I already knew otherwise, but then on FB I realized you were a lot younger than I had originally thought. Turns out we're the same age!

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Mrs. Q is 3 1/4 months older than I am. I occasionally remind her of that ;)

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
...and now I finally know your age :p

LOL on Chaz I assume everyone's 20 - 40 unless I already knew otherwise, but then on FB I realized you were a lot younger than I had originally thought. Turns out we're the same age!
I NEVER would have guessed that you were 20. Not in a million years.

I robbed the cradle by a whopping 9 months. It's kind of gross, because I think of it as I was coming out and he was being inseminated. XD Strangely fascinating in my mind.

I feel like age differences are only weird to me when you break them down into "this happened to him when I was this age.." For example, my friend is dating someone 7 years older. We figure he was in the second or third grade when we were born. WEIRD TO ME. In the long run though, who gives a ****? If you get along and have a good relationship and are in the same spot in life, that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I am 2 months older than him.
It's very obvious. I gained MUCH wisdom in that 2 months of life before he was born :rofl1:

haha not really. We are basically the same age and I like it that way :)

Members online

No members online now.