My dog is such a....

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
:rofl1:

She makes me laugh but for probably all the wrong reasons.

So my new trainer decided to work with Mia the other day to show me some ideas to work on her stays. Stays are still a problem for us. :rolleyes:

Now, Mia's first trainer decided one time to try to demo with her and it was a disaster of epic proportions. At least this time it went slightly better...

Every time the trainer would give Mia a command, Mia would turn and just look at me with this look that CLEARLY said 'Do you see what she's doing? Do I have to listen to her?' I'd just look back at her and she would huffily sit then the trainer asked for a down. Mia turned back and looked at me all disgruntled again then looked back at the trainer and sat. Of course that didn't last long before Mia decided she just wasn't gonna listen to her at all and just started totally blowing her off.

Does anyone else have a dog that flat out REFUSES to listen to someone other than them? It's not like she was nervous or anything at all, she was just pissed off.

My trainer did say she'd stop giving me such a hard time when I try telling her how bad Mia can be. lol

yoko

Yoshi will listen but not for long. If someone tells her to sit she'll sit but you can't expect the stay like she will do for me. It's more a sit then a second later go do whatever she wants to do.

MicksMom

Mick used to give me the "Do I have to?" look all the time when my husband asked him to do something. Caleb's response to my husband is a little slower than to me, but at least he doesn't look for my permission before he listens.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I once told Rosey to get up on the couch while my ex was here (she waits for permission). She was about to get up, when the ex said "get up!". I swear she sat down, and glared at him like "**** you. You aren't my human. Only Jess tells me what to do."

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Morgan is generally okay about listening to commands from other people. Every once in a while he'll give me the "Do I have to?" look, but honestly that isn't often.

The thing he does do, though, is act surprised when somebody other than Jon or I give him a command. It's kind of this "WHOA, you know that word, too??? My mom says that word!!" reaction. LOL! After that, he's no problem. :p

Gypsydals

For general commands Ivan tends to look at the person, with this confused, I don't know what you are saying look. As if he doesn't understand or know the "sit", "down" and stay. There is a small list of people he does listen to but it is very small.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
If a person has food and has properly introduced themselves than he is more than happy to so anything they ask....forever.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I trained Arnold specifically to not listen to others, it took forever for him to listen to Denis and he still blows him off most of the time.

Backup and Sloan won't listen to strangers. Sloan has actually walked up to people, calmly-not charging, and bitten them for picking up her leash. She doesn't appreciate people telling her her business I guess. Backup just looks confused but lets be honest, he always looks confused.

oh and Shamoo listens to no one so she doesn't count.

Red Chrome

judge will work for someone else..if they are a strong minded person and correct him for blowing them off. If not...he generally walks all over strangers.

LoLa...well....LoLa is a free spirit.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
oh and Shamoo listens to no one so she doesn't count.
:rofl1: yah, 99% of the time Rosey doesn't listen to *us*, let alone somebody else!

"Rosey, off!"
*rosey looks away as I imagine her sticking her paws in her ears yelling "LALALA I CANT HEAR YOU"*

^^thats pretty much an hourly occurance here..

Teal

...ice road...
Ruger will half-arse listen to another adult, unless (before he retired) vested and working. Children are on this earth simply to throw the ball for him, NOT to tell him what to do! lol

Bukra will give hugs to anyone that asks, but will not follow obedience commands and will not let someone else take his leash (except his breeder, and my son).

I have no idea of Jolene will listen to anyone else... I've never tried. I think if they had food, she'd sell her soul to anyone though!

Zealand is an 8 month old intact male... I will PAY YOU if you can get him to listen to ANYONE right now LOL I've never had anyone try to tell him to do anything, either... so I don't know. He will listen to my son, though.

Peshamba will sit for food if someone asks her to, but I've not tested it beyond that extent (and that was the day I picked her up.. I don't know if she'd do it now)

BostonBanker

Meg won't work for anyone else except one friend of mine (and then I have to not be anywhere in sight). But her issue is that she's Meg and weird.

I specifically want Gusto to be willing to work for other people, so we work on that.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie is a good boy and will usually do what most people ask so long as it's stuff like sit, down, shake. Running agility with other people is a different question.

Payton only REALLY likes to listen to me... but if you have a cookie you can probably convince him.

Pepper is Pepper so... yeah, hahah. Poor girl.

SaraB

I made sure from the start that Zuma will listen to other people and will do the same with Zinga. What happens if I'm injured and have them entered in a trial? I want to be able to just hand them off to a friend and still have them run. It's also nice to be able to watch them do a sequence to figure out if it's a handler problem or a training problem. Just the other day, one of my student's dogs was injured so I had him run Zuma in the class. Zuma was more than thrilled with the idea and I think she actually ran a bit faster for him! :rofl1:

Anyways, I did find that Zuma was more willing to work for someone when they were using a toy for a reward versus treats at the beginning. I bet Mia would be the same way. Just start by introducing really easy cues into a game of fetch and elaborate from there.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Kim will do what they ask for exactly as long as they are bribing her with food. They she will tell them what to do and most people think she's being affectioonate and do it...but she's not. Shels running their lives :p

Webby will generally do it if he thinks there's something in it for him or he just likes the person. But if he decides the person is an idiot or not playing by the rules then they are done. An instructor once used him for a demo dog and leash-popped him. He calmly turned his back to the person and went deaf. As soon as they turned to face the class and lost focus, he slipped his lead out of her hand and left. I would have rescued him but he wasn't stressed and had it covered...and it was funny to see the instructor get all flustered when her highly dynamite engaged demo dog turned instantly to stone and gave her the finger.

Mira will do whatever anyone asks as long as it's something she wanted to do anyway. And she'll bend the rules if she thinks the person doesn't know better, but she will in general do as they ask. Though when she's done she runs over to me to tell me all about it and the person ceases to exist. She's kind of a mama's girl even though that was never my intention.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Chloe will listen to someone else if they a.) know the way I give commands and b.) are rewarding her with food. The more basic commands she knows she'll do for anyone (sit, shake, etc.), because they can't really screw up the delivery of them. But I use certain body language/hand signals for her more advanced stuff and if you don't know how to tell her to do it, she won't do it.

She once spent almost thirty minutes doing tricks for some kids. They had the treats and were the ones telling her what to do and she was just fine with that. LOL

Cynder listens to Mike best, but she'll mostly listen to me. Other people...just depends. Gracie is a stubborn little turd and listens to no one, and Cooper is good with anyone.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
All 3 will only listen to Paul (selectively) or me. Other then that they blow everyone off.

RD

Are you dead yet?
It's hilarious watching my boyfriend and Eve interact, because he tries his best to be super-duper sweet and nice to her, and she just walks all over him. I figure they'll sort their own business out in time - despite the fact that she doesn't listen very well to him, she adores him. I do trust that his stern voice will get her attention 100% of the time, so I'm not worried about her blowing him off at important times. But when he's sitting on the couch and asking her to get off? lol good luck.

If it's not me, Tony or my parents, Eve doesn't particularly care to listen to anyone.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Macky will, sort of, if they give the cue correctly and if I don't already have her focus.

Keeva....:rofl1: Uuuhhhh. I mean, sometimes? if they have food right in front of her face, and know German? But she's terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE about listening to other people when it comes to house rules, as in: Get down from there, get out of that, enough barking, come over here... And she actually does listen to me pretty well when I direct her that way.

One time my grandma tried yelling, "NO BARK!" at her... She doesn't know what that means, of course, but not only did she not stop barking, she actually turned and stared my grandma down like, "Who hell are you and what the f*** you just say to me?" My grandma kept going, "Did you see how your dog looked at me?!?!"

Members online

No members online now.