How often do you deal with your dog's nails and what do you use?

Dremel. Not really sure how often they're done... I just check his nails often and do them as needed.

I used to trim with nail clippers, but once I worked at a dog/daycare boarding facility where they used the dremel, I was hooked! So easy and no jagged edges.

I did, however, learn to keep my hair COMPLETELY pulled up. Had my pony tail dangle down (I've got really long hair) and it got wrapped up in the dremel LOL Thankfully I didn't have to cut it... I just unscrewed the little screw to get the "drum" off and pulled it off.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
About every two weeks or so. I have a Dremel and Auggie will let me Dremel but I've taken to using the clippers because it's faster. I like how they get smoother with the Dremel but... yeah.
Payton is a no likee clipee dog right now. Georgie is even worse. I don't remember how I got Auggie used to it... maybe he has just born perfect LOL.

I am also in the "leave enough nail for them to grip and turn when running" category. I need 'em to be able to dig in and not go slip slidin' away.

If I hear clicking on the floor then they are too long. I have dogs, not tap dancers.
I HATE the clicking!

I dremel Dreizehn's nails 2-3 times a week. I was really busy this fall and sort of let them get away from me so I'm working on getting the quick to recede. I use a dremel simply because it freaks me out less. Oddly enough the dremel freaks him out more but with clippers I'd surely quick his black nails every time.

Once I finally have them how I like them I'll keep them somewhere between tiny nubs and barely long enough to click.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I dremel. I'm sadly lazy as h*ll. I get them done like once every two months. School has kicked my ass, I'm tired have no time for anything really.. I hate clicking.. but have always hated doing nails...

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
My four all have really fast growing nails so we clip every week to 10 days and they are still a bit longer than I'd like. They start tapping at the week mark. :p

Aeri's front feets:

Kestrel's front feets:

Ziva's front feets:

Ziva's rear feets:

Snipe doesn't stand still long enough to photograph her feet, but they are most like Aeri's toes. :)

SpringerLover

I don't have pictures but I dremel every 1-2 weeks. I don't mind "longish" nails as long as the whole nail is thick. I HATE grown out nails that are hollow. I can't say my dogs never, ever, get to that point but it's rare!

Lyzelle

I'm clipping every few days. Zander's nails are pretty horrid, and it's obvious my mother didn't do anything.

After I get them down to where I want them, I'll dremel. It's just a matter of getting them to that point. He has some seriously STRONG and THICK nails. But they peel and flake like no one's business, making a smooth, short, healthy nail difficult to obtain.

Members online

No members online now.