female puppy and male dog???

suzy_99

We just got a new puppy. She is a dal/akita mix. We will be getting her fixed when she is 6 months old. However, I have an 11 year old shelty/beagle mix who is not neutured and I am pretty sure that they will be around the same size and weight (he is about 55lbs). I was wondering if he will still try to breed with her even if she is spayed and if so is this bad or not?? I have discussed neuturing him with my vet, but he warns against it because of his age and health. He is a generally healthy dog, but does have some arthritis and kidney issues, which makes my vet not really want to perform any surgeries on him unless it is completely necessary.

I don't think yu'll have to worry about that so long as you get your new puppy spayed before she goes into her first heat. If not then there is a very good chance of him mating with her which isn't good because she'd be much too young to be carrying puppies. If he mounts her after she is spayed this is NOT mating. A lot of dogs mount other dogs (even of the same sex) as it is their way of showing dominance over another dog

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yes it could get to the point when she is older that she starts mounting him lol. My mom's dog is really bad for that lol a toy just isn't perfect until she has mounted it and showed it who is boss.

suzy_99

ok...thank you. I am not worried about puppies or anything like that, but I was worried that him mounting her would bother her. Charlie used to mount his brother a lot and they had fights about it, so I wasn't sure if he would be as persistent with her since she will be fixed.

Members online

No members online now.