Do your dogs make you feel safe?

Toller_08

Tango...not at all...lol. She's afraid of the world, s much so, that if I get startled or afraid of something she'll instantyl start to shake and hide in her camera because whatever might be bothering me, could come to get her to! Actually, it's rather pathetic but all except one of her siblings are the same way. Winston, eventhough technically he isn't mine, he's my parents, makes me feel very safe. He's always on guard and ready for action. I'm not sure what he'd actually do if a serious situation ever occured, but I know he'd try somehow t protect me/my family.

Verminator

Squirrel Chaser
I feel safer and my wife feels MUCH safer having the dogs when I am not around. Our dogs are young, but they are both EXCELLENT watch dogs. People can't even walk down the other side of the road without both of our dogs pitching a fit and carrying on. I wouldn't have it any other way. I want to know if someone comes around.

Roxy's CD

I feel super safe with my dogs. Where I used to live there were shootings/beatings at least once a week. The walk to the store was only a 10 minute walk but I never did it, until I got Roxy. She's never attacked anyone, but if anyone even comes to close to me and I feel uncomfortable she makes it clear to BACK OFF!!!

Giny said:
I can hear it now, the smirks, the laughs, because of the thought of little poodles making someone feel safer, but they do. :p I’m not expecting them to attack any intruders but just knowing in the middle of the night while in bed if I hear a noise that I’m not familiar with that they will react if it was something to be concerned about. Maybe I’m naïve or feel like I live in a safe area but I rarely feel afraid of the thought that an intruder will break into my home, especially when my husband is there. But when he’s away on business I do like the thought of the dogs being there as my little house alarm.
Hahaha, I know what you mean. My three might be tiny, but they have big spirits and I don't think anything could get past them; they definitely sound the alarm. If there was immediate danger, I could see Panna and Cannelle getting scared, but I don't think that Mocha would ever back down. She'd definitely go after those ankles :p.

The only thing is that you can tell that they're little by their bark. A while back in November I had come home from school early and everyone else was out so it was me, my two dogs (we didn't have Cannelle at the time), and my foster dog who, although she was only 20 - 25 lbs., had a BIG bark. Anyways, I was sitting at home and my two start barking like somebody was at the door (the foster just ran to the window wiggling her little butt) so I went to the window to see who it was (I'm paranoid so all of the doors are locked anyways) and I saw some guy with one of those full face masks coming up the stairs (on a fairly warm day) and then I heard a loud BANG at the door (not like a knock, a bang). My two got louder and Hula, my foster, started barking LOUDLY and just sounded menacing, then I saw the guy run back out the gate. It was probably just some guy who thought that nobody would be home during the day. The dogs definitely got a special supper and extra cuddles that night though, I love having them around :D.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Let's see....

80lb, 29" Doberman bitch... check.
75lb, 26.75" Doberman dog... check.

YUP, I feel safe! Ilsa isa BIG girl, very territorial and raises helll whenever anyone comes to the door, and Ronin is a very suspicious dog - he happily scares off people that he detects "bad vibes" from.

It's currently 11pm, I'm alone in the house, and every door and window is open... gotta love red 'n' rust security systems!

BTW - Ilsa has already proven that she'll step up and not only protect me, but protect my property. At the tender age of 5-6 months, she backed an intruder into a corner.. the guy was terrifies of my VERY angry, bitty little Doberman puppy. She's also protected the house from a man who turned out to be a murderer/rapist. He tried to get into the back door of the house (running from the police), and Ilsa hit the door, roaring (scary sound, even the thought of it makes me get goosebumps!), ended up scaring him off of our deck, out of our yard, and into the arms of the police. That is definitely meaningful.. that a guy who had just raped and murdered a young woman would rather turn right aound and run towards the police than risk entering a house with an angry dog inside.

P.S. Ilsa put three cracks into the solid oak door when she hit it.. the largest being about 14 inches long.

Last edited:

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Hmm, I am VERY well protected.

A beagle and a 3 month old dobe pup.

:D

Yup watch out everyone.

I did feal protected with Sadie, who was a Malinios/Staffy cross.

Barley makes me feel very protected. I remember on his 2nd day home, I woke up from a nap to his whining... I figured he wanted to go outside, so I took him out in a total haze. My husband came home and freaked out cause the house smelled like gas - only then did I realize that our oven's pilot light went out, and Barley woke me up to get me outside. I was still headachey that evening, but okay! And he was only 14 weeks old!

yoko

yoshi makes me safe :) when i first moved back here everyone was like 'awww look at the little puppy' until she stood up and they realized the little puppy was a bit taller than they expected when looking at her face lol. but yoshi is a great watch dog. she only barks when someone is messing around my door. she also jumps up and barks and circles people if they enter without me getting up to greet them and invite them in. people who act suspicious around her get a couple growls and some teeth flashed, but yoshi would never attack unless they did something to me or kept coming at me

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Rocky's so stubborn and fearless I could have the Loch-ness monster, a werewolf, and the boogeyman at my door all at the same time and he'd still charge like nothing. The boogeyman's got nothin' on Rock.

Debi

I feel safe. if nothing else the dogs alert me, and it would give me time to react if there was a real problem. Hammie isn't the least bit friendly to strangers. some people may not like that, but I do. once I tell him it's ok, then he settles....but he still watches every move. he is very, very protective of his mom. :) Addie loves everyone, but that little gal has such attitude when she wants. I think she has become more protective since having Ham covering her back. LOL

Members online