why is he tucked?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
So everytime we take Talon for a walk or to the park or anywhere that's off the apartment property he immediately tucks his tail under him. if you only look at his tail he looks terrified, but, to me, all his other body language is excitement. he pulls forward, really excited. whats up with the tucked tail?

I don't understand the extremely tucked tail if he is all exited, any ideas?

also, I'm on my phone. Sorry for typos.

Maxy24

Acting super excited could be a sign of anxiety as well, especially if we are talking the type of excitement where he has trouble focusing/is constantly scanning and investigating the environment. If you go to the place several times does he stop doing it?

Can you video it? Without seeing it, its hard to tell what's going on.

My dog went through a fear period where her tail was plastered to her belly but she was hauling ass on the leash because she wanted to get away, to go somewhere else. But you know your dog, so if you don't think it's fear or that he's unsure... I don't know!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Is his entire tail pulled underneath him, or is most of it pressed in with the end sticking out in a bit of an L shape?

If it's the latter, it's a border collie thing. If it's the former, likely more overexcitedness/anxiety.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Acting super excited could be a sign of anxiety as well, especially if we are talking the type of excitement where he has trouble focusing/is constantly scanning and investigating the environment. If you go to the place several times does he stop doing it?
We go to the park almost 5 times a week to play fetch or work on obedience. His tail tucks everytime we walk past the apartment parking lot. So no it doesn't change if we've been to the place a zillion times, he still does it. :/ He isn't super overstimulated, scanning and frantic. He's just excited as in pulling forward, if I stop he'll stop and sit and wait and walk nice for a while, but his tail remains tucked.

Can you video it? Without seeing it, its hard to tell what's going on.

My dog went through a fear period where her tail was plastered to her belly but she was hauling ass on the leash because she wanted to get away, to go somewhere else. But you know your dog, so if you don't think it's fear or that he's unsure... I don't know!
I've had a dog that did that before, trying to pull past a dog he was afraid of, but this doesn't strike me as that. He's pulling to get somewhere rather than away from something I tink. That's what has me the most confused I think. I'll try to get a video next time we go to the park :)

Is his entire tail pulled underneath him, or is most of it pressed in with the end sticking out in a bit of an L shape?

If it's the latter, it's a border collie thing. If it's the former, likely more overexcitedness/anxiety.
It *may* be the second one, but I can't remember clearly. I'll have to take a closer look next time! I'll try to get a video so you guys can see what I mean :)

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Feist tucks her tail like Allie described when she gets intense / excited about something. As she said, it's just a weird herdy dog thing if it's not curled under the belly. If he's arching his back and tucking his bum as well as having his tail tucked, that's what I would attribute to fear/anxiety/etc. Video would probably clarify it!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Allie was right, it's partially tucked and then swoops out at the bottom area. Weird dog! :p

Thanks!

Aw, I can just picture him all excited - how old is Talon? If he has been doing it since he was born, I don't think it is anything to worry about. You mentioned it happens in the parking lot of your apartment building. If you are in a noisy city it might just be the noise that is causing him to become more anxious to the things around him. Or possibly, if you live in a colder city, I have heard that some dogs can adjust themselves to stay the warmest. Although, with the hair on him, I can't see his little tush being too cold anywhere!

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Border collies are so weird. Feist also participates in odd tail carrying, she often has it out to the side. :p

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Border collies are so weird. Feist also participates in odd tail carrying, she often has it out to the side. :p
I love feist's tail, so curly! ^_^ When we wen't to puppy class with Talon there was about 4 other border collies, all with "proper" tail's (not curly). They were all "omg look he has such a funny, cute curly tail." :rolleyes: lol I always told people he just looks up to his big bro so much he mimicked him ;) lol I love the curly tails though, can't wait to see how Feist turns out!!

Members online

No members online now.