Please Help Quick DRY EYE

pipster

I have an 8 year old cocker that has dry eye, and have been spending $45 for a very small tube of ointment for years now. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative????

bubbatd

I hope someone can help you here . I do know Cockers have eye problems . Could it be a blocked duct ?? I'm sure your vet would have addressed this, if it was the case. Otherwise, I imagine the tube lasts 3 months, so $16 a month is well worth for your dog's comfort .

My pugs eyes are red all the time im not sure if thats normal or not in a pug. In the pics rottiegirl has shows that also. i think thats what you got to, im not shur.

Athebeau

My Sister had a Dobe with dry eye, the Vet told her not to waste her money and told her to get over the counter eye drops at the pharmacy. Saved her a bundle of money.

I'll ask her what brand she used...I think it was just gentle artificial tears.

She lived to be almost 15 with dry eye and no complications.

showpug

If I remember correctly, dry eye can only be treated properly with the use of "Optimmune" a special eye ointmant for the condition. I remember it being really expensive, but it should last you quite some time if used properly. I know some people that use sterile saline to rinse the eyes on occasion, but the ointmant is needed to help prevent blindness and ulcers from forming, so don't stop using it! This condition is very common in cockers, lhasas, shi tzus, and pugs...

Julie

I am back again.
Just try typing the name of the medicine in a search engine, maybe you can buy the same thing over the counter from online.:)

showpug

Julie said:
Just try typing the name of the medicine in a search engine, maybe you can buy the same thing over the counter from online.:)
It's not ever sold over-the-counter, but you can get it online.

Julie

I am back again.
showpug said:
It's not ever sold over-the-counter, but you can get it online.
I meant online w/o a prescription. Even if a prescription is needed, some vets will write a prescription for long term meds. Then it could be purchased - possible cheaper online.

And some meds that need a prescription for dogs, can be purchased for livestock with no prescription. With same active ingredient.

Just wondering why this thread is titled PLEASE HELP QUICK when the dog has had this condition for years? When was the last time you saw your vet and asked if there was anything new on the market or a generic alternative?

avenlee

I have a 4 yr. old Cocker who has red eye. I'm not sure about dry eye though. Or if there is an alternative treatment out there. I think showpug gave some good advice. With red eye, the cartilage under the the lower lid pops out and needs to be stitched back under the lid. Some vets remove the cartilage completely (which was done to one of her eyes before I got her) And I had her other eye done by my vet that stitched it The stitched eye looks much better.

I would definately ask your vet for an alternative treatment if the cost is getting to be a burden.

Members online

No members online now.