Eating Bread???

corykins22

I just found out that a good friends dog ate an entire loaf of bread. he is an architecture student and its finals time and he said that he has felt bad because sam (his dog) has been alone a lot lately, then this morning he forgot to feed him and then sam got to the bread tonight. so, he brought sam to our house for my roommate, (his ex gf is my roommate) to babysit him till tomorrow afternoon so he could be around people and get some attention.

anyway, dogs cant digest bread well right? sam is 8 years old and probably weighs about 20 pounds. im just kinda worried about him because hes old and ATE AND ENTIRE LOAF OF BREAD. it could be a problem right? i have watched emergency vets on animal planet and there was an episode where a lab, i think, ate a loaf and a half of bread and had to have surgery to get it out because it solidified and blocked his stomach or intestines.

i told my roommate to watch him and make sure he has a normal bowel movement cause then i am guessing he would be ok. i told her that if he starts throwing up that might not be a good sign?

anybody know about it? what good or bad signs would be? :confused:

Call the vet and ask if it is bad for him. Bad signs would be acting differently and throwing up...

Mordy

Quigleyfied
bread is a lot more harmless than a lot of other things. whether he'll get sick really depends on the size of the dog vs. the loaf of bread. it's a lot different for a smaller dog (25ish pounds) than it would be for a larger one.

keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if you see signs of distress (e.g. excessive panting, pacing, unable to get comfortable, standing with feet slightly apart and letting the head just hang down etc.). most likely he'll be fine.

Fran27

Boris has stolen two loafs of bread so far, it never was a problem (well, except for us).

Tips and Borris are adorable! Glad to hear there was no problems, I think Sam is ok, my roommate didn't say he had any problems! He was acting normal this afternoon when I saw him.

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
My dogs love to steal bread and they like it more than most dog biscuits so just watch the dog every thing should be ok.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
My dog did that once and ate a loaf of bread, three bagels, a dozen and some cookies (some oatmeal, some chocolate chip) and he was fine. Go figure.

Members online

No members online now.