Nikki

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

This is the last picture I ever took of her.

When I was nine I wanted a puppy more than anything. My sheltie, Rosie, had died a few months before and I missed having a dog. I so happened to look through the classified ads in the newspaper and stumbled on one for four 6 week old sable sheltie puppies that was nearby. So I showed it to my mother and asked if we could just go out to see them. My parents said we could but by no means were we bringing one home. Well, we got there and saw there were only three pups left- 2 males and the runt girl. I looked in the box and the smallest pup jumped up at me. So I pulled her out and took her into the yard. The first thing I realized was she was mean and feisty. My parents were playing with a boy pup they liked, but I would have none of it. I just kept wrestling the little girl. The owners told me she was the meanest dog there, but still, I wanted her. So we ended up taking her home. Less than a mile away she was already named- Nikki. And it stuck.

She and I grew up together. She sure was feisty and sneaky just like I had been warned. But she was smart and very active. She was my sister and my best friend for a long time. Later that year we picked up an older pup named Trey. He idolized Nikki and Nik just bossed him around all the time. The two quickly became inseparable. When she was one or so I started teaching her lots of tricks. We’d put on shows for my parents and my friends. She’d jump through hoops and catch balls and frisbees. She could stay and speak and all that stuff. I was so proud that I could teach her.

She was a very quirky little dog. She hated bubblegum over any thing. She got this look like it was an alien coming out of your mouth. There was a stupid cartoon my sister watched named Road Rovers and if she heard you say that for some reason she would mimic the words ‘road rovers’. Even when she was twelve you could still say that and she’d reply back every time. She would ‘sing’ along to the paino, the clarinet, the flute, and most importantly the song ‘A Very Merry Unbirthday’ in Alice in Wonderland. Her favorite thing in the world was our rodents. She’d baby them and obsess over them- especially Scout. We’d call Scout her baby and she would often be found upstairs, sitting next to her cage.

When Josie was born, Nikki took it upon herself to become a Nanny. When Josie would cry, Nikki would howl. If Josie was playing, Nik was sitting right next to her. She was a good mommy.

As she got sick, we’d keep in good spirits. Her pills she had to take everyday were her ‘Princess Pills’ to her. She thought she was special because they were chewables and she got treats when no one else did. She was always the queen of the house. Every dog we have gotten since Trey has taken it upon themselves to be her official harasser. She would growl at them and they all seemed to have so much fun just bugging her. She was all bark and no bite though. And she wasn’t afraid to tell you how she felt! If she didn’t want to do something, you could count on her to grumble and growl the entire time she was doing it. So many times my sisters or my friends would be shocked at the way she’d grump me and I’d be unfazed, grumping her back. We had that kind of relationship and it worked.

She and I were best friends and we grew up together. I miss her already but I am so grateful that I had that time with such a remarkable animal. She was a great dog, but by no means a good one lol. I’m sure there will never be another remotely like her and I don’t think we want there to be. She was very special. She’s got some great company at the bridge. She can finally meet Rosie and Shack and can get back to her love-hate relationship with Harry. Now that she’s not crippled, he’d better run.

My favorite picture of her.

As a youngster

And with her best friend.

Oh, btw, her full name was Nikita Joanne.

Run free little girl.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
how beautiful....that is a wonderful story about Nikki---and what a wonderful picture you took of her!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I found some more pics that I thought she needed here.

And her usual thoughts on all matters ^^

Saje

Island dweller
She's beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))

bubbatd

What a wonderful tribute for a very special dog !!! RIP liitle one ...............

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Rest in peace, beautiful girl. Run free without pain. . .

I loved your story and I'm sure it took you to such precious memories writing it. Nikki sounded like a very special and very loved little girl. RIP Nikki..

Nikki made sure she didn't go anywhere until she got her girl all grown up . . . she raised you right, Laurelin ;) Nikki is one of those once-in-a-lifetime companions.

Emmy

The "Other" Sister
Hey, just so you know, this is a repost of something I posted on another forum earlier this morning. I just thought I'd post it here because, even though Nikki was Laur's dog, everyone in the family loved her a lot.

Kinda weird looking back on life and thinking about all the people in it. The hundreds of people that you've met. The thousands that you've come across just by going everywhere. It's even weirder looking back on your life and thinking about all of the people that have been there since you could remember. But the weirdest thing of all, I guess, is to imagine that they're gone. Just gone. Out of your life in the blink of an eye.

Flash backwards to January. Nikki, our oldest dog (Shetland Sheepdog), was having some major problems. Her heart was enlarged. She was obese. She had arthritis. We got some medication that would buy her a few more months. Ever since then, she had been doing a lot better. She was 12 years of age, going pretty strong for awhile. She was kinda like the grandma of the house. She was the old cranky gal that all the younger dogs in the house bugged. All-in-all, she was the leader of the horde of dogs that live in my house. She was old, sneaky, a bit bitchy at times, but everyone loved her. She made funny grunting noises whenever she ate. Whenever you'd pet her, she'd roll onto her back and demand a belly scratch. She was just one of those dogs that, while having a mean streak, she was just very lovable.

Flash forward to last night. After 10 hours of hard work at band camp, I sit down in the passenger's seat of my father's car. We talk, kind of like we always do. I tell him about all the funny stuff that happened at band camp on that day (my friend being de-pantsed, my other friend and I tackling those weird football exercise-thingies, me and my best friend sprinting from the school to the practice field because we were late, etc). But, he starts talking to me, and I could tell something was wrong. He had that serious, sort of melancholy tone about his voice. He starts off by saying, "Emily, Nikki's not doing so well. At all." And I guess it was then when I knew that we were gonna lose her. She was having problems breathing. She was leaving her mouth open and taking in rasping breaths the entire night. I petted her. I loved on her when I got home. Because she and I kinda grew up together. She was a pup when I was little. I mean, I couldn't imagine life without her, and I guess I'm still in shock. I end up going to bed after I shower and eat some food. My mom comes into my room about at 9:00 a.m., telling me that Nikki passed away when my dad and older sis (Rabs on here) were rushing her to the vet hospital. She had a heart attack and just.. Died. Less than a half a mile away from the hospital. She died. Heart failure, congestive more than likely. It was going to happen whether we had taken her to the vet or not the previous night.

Gah, I can't believe it. She was 12 and a half years old. Beautiful girl. I'm gonna miss her a lot. We're gonna cremate her and bury her next to our other dog, Harry, who passed away a little over a year ago due to a seizure. He wasn't even a year old when he died. I think the place of burial is rather fitting, though. Harry and Nikki were tight. Old Harold used to nag her until she was growling and snapping. When Mom said this, I commented by saying, "She's gonna kill you for putting her next to Harry." She was a good dog. Had a good life. I guess I couldn't ask for much more. She died quickly, and I'm glad she wasn't in any pain.

Here's a few pics of her:

I'm worried about the other Sheltie, Trey. He's been with Nikki for 12 years (they're just a few months apart in age). He was VERY attached to her, and I'm not sure what he's gonna do when she never comes back. The entire family's gonna miss her. It won't feel the same walking through the kitchen and nearly getting your foot ripped off because you nearly step on her foot. I just hope Trey's okay. He really loved her.

Heck. We all really loved her.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Em, that was so sweet. I really appreciate that and I'm sure Nikki does too. ((Hugs))

Thanks everyone she was a great little girl.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry your best friend is gone. Nikki is with all her doggie friends now. She will be in your heart and memories forever. I do love the pic of her by the pool.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
RIP, Nikki! She was such a pretty girl. Thanks for sharing your beautiful tribute about your best friend.

((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Members online

No members online now.