What is wrong with my dog???

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Norris is being really weird tonight. He is drinking large amounts of water, and then of course two hours later I take him outside and he urinates copiously (no blood in the urine, just very watered down of course). I have a metal bowl that probably holds about two gallons of water, and he has drank almost the whole thing in about four hours. Basically, he drank a bunch, then went out to pee in two hours. Then as soon as he came back inside he drank a bunch more water. Then two hours later out to pee again, just now. And as soon as we got back to my room, he drank the rest of the bowl. He's never done this before tonight. He isn't acting uncomfortable in any way, he has eaten normally today. He has only been fed his kibble, no treats. He didn't eat any trash off the ground recently. He pooped normally on his walk about noon. I haven't noticed any lethargy. There hasn't been any vomiting.

I'm just really confused. :confused:

RBark

Got Floof?
It can be a sign of different issues (the one I'm familiar with is Acute/Chronic Renal Failure) but I wouldn't worry about a single day of doing this. If it persists, definitely see a vet.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I would first bring a sample of his urine to check for a uti. If not a uti, then maybe bloodwork is in order.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I would first bring a sample of his urine to check for a uti. If not a uti, then maybe bloodwork is in order.
^ this, although it is uncommon for male dogs to have UTIs without an underlying cause.

That being said, if it was a one time thing and it doesn't continue...maybe he was just thirsty? How you described Norris is how Abrams spent most of his puppyhood. LOL BUT, if he keeps having increased drinking and urination, I'd get him seen.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'd check for a UTI. That's exactly how Juno was when she had an infection a few weeks ago.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
See if it persists; he may have just been exceptionally thirsty that day?

The top three things that pop into my mind are UTI, diabetes or possibly Cushings, though the last one is a pretty far stretch.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Thanks for the replies. Today Norris has not drank excessively, just a normal amount of water. So maybe he was just weirdly super thirsty yesterday for some reason? I'm gonna keep an eye on him. He was so sick with that autoimmune hemolytic anemia (although I don't believe excessive thirst was a symptom, just lethargy, paleness and bloody urine) almost two years ago. I'm always worried he'll get some other issue or something. But he's acting fine and everything's good so I'll keep my fingers crossed that he stays healthy!

Members online

No members online now.