Slow Eater Concerns

zeekee

My puppy dont want to eat his dog food anymore. I tried mixing some rice, meat, veggies, and chicken broth in his dog food but whenever he smells the dog food in it, he walks away without eating anything. Im afraid that he might get sick or thin if he skips 1 to 2 meals.

Maxy24

When is the last time he ate? My dog would skip meals a lot, we thought he didn't like his food. Turns out we were feeding him too much so he'd only eat some of the meal and then skip the next one. So that is possible. I also had a dog stop eating because his bag of food had gone stale. We would buy big bags of it and one time it took too long to get through the bag and he stopped eating because it was stale, bought a new bag and he ate just fine.

You might just have to wait for him to be hungry enough to eat, some dogs are picky and try to hold out for yummier food. But if he's gone a few days without food you'll need to figure something out to get him eating.

Is he acting any differently otherwise? Is he willing to eat treats/non-dog food?

zeekee

last night and then he doesnt want to eat his breakfast................. he exercise a lot and dont wanna eat...

zeekee

he's 10 months and im feeding him 4 cups of puppy food and 2 cups of mixed veggies, rice and meat every meal.. he eats every morning, afternoon , and evening...

Four cups of food + 2 cups of mix-ins total per day, or three times a day? Because if it's three times per day that's WAY more food than he needs.

zeekee

three times a day and that's for his very meal.. sometimes four meals a day.. plus treats...

That's enough food for a week!

My 46lb dog eats just under 3 cups of food per DAY. 1 1/3 cups in the morning & 1 1/3 cups at night.

That is way too much food, lol. ;)

Saeleofu

WAYYY too much food. The amount you feed in one day would last my dogs (53 pounds and 76 pounds) 3-4 days :yikes:

Also, adding things to try to get him to eat will only make him pickier. Best thing is to wait him out. When he's hungry, he'll eat. The only concern about not eating is if the dog is ill or small - small breed pups (chis, paps, and similar sized dogs)can get hypoglycemic if they skip a meal or two, but it's usually not a problem with larger dogs.

Yea WAY too much food. My 85# dog eats 3 to 4 cups of food TOTAL a day!! (Depending on what else he's getting that day.)

zeekee

Ohh.. i just want him to make healthier because we always do jogging everyday and some sort of muscle building exercises.

Members online