Puppy Agility

I have Siberian Husky he is eight months old. We have a park near where I live and I often take him there on our walks there are two playgrounds at the park. I take him up the stairs down the slides, he goes through the little tunnel things, walks across the shaky bridge, and can jump the teeter totters. I really want me and him to show in agility. He likes to do all these things at the playground I think he would be a good agility dog. I'd like to now what you all think about him and I'm wondering what I can do to set him up for doing some serious agility training. I'm gonna be moving soon and when I move I'm gonna find an agility trainer there and am hoping to start our new "career". Please comment and let me know if what I can do with him. :confused:

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
You can practice tunnels and climbing stairs. You can lay a broom on the floor and have him "jump" it. You can make a pause box about an inch or two from the floor and practice his down and stay and ok. You can have him walk over a ladder. But also practice his basic commands. For now just practice little things until he's about 14 months. The highest you can go on the jump is at 4 inches. Forget the dogwalk and a frame for now, unless you'd like to practice with flat boards on the floor. G'Luck!

Doberluv

Yes, be careful of his bones till he's about 18 months. He can do little jumps, (I've read) not higher than his elbow. And be careful, like Beagle lovergirl said about things like the A frame and teeter....do low, practice ones. You don't want him to fall off and make him fear those things or get hurt. Obedience practice should be kept up and that needs to be pretty good before any "grown-up" agility. Have fun!

Oh, okay. That teetor totter that he jumps is as high as his head, so I guess he can't jump that anymore. :( oopss. But do you all agree that it is a good idea to get in contact with an agility trainer even though he is only eight months?

W

Whitedobelover

that is exactly right dont start till they are about eightteen months training hard time because it can mess the babies little bones.... we dont need things like this happening to our babies... it can cause huge problems so just stick to the little things till he/she is 18 months and tested out... because yoru baby may not be able to do full agility because of tests... so just be mindful of the problem doing agility now could cause...my dobes are great at doing agility stuff too but i dont allow them to jum p up on anything except the couch and foot stool.. becareful

I meant like puppy agility classes. I just know that he has potential and want him to get a good start I mean four inches is nothing! Why 18 months?

Members online

No members online now.